What's new

Flavour profiles

I find myself looking at the composition of tobaccos that I want to try and wondering how similar they are to what I am familiar with. I’m sure others are in the same boat so I’ve started a list, based on tobaccos that I’ve tried, leading through various flavour profiles. I’ve left aromatics out for obvious reasons. I was kind of hoping others could add to this list to make it more complete. (And modify it if needed. I realize that my taste is not nearly as refined as others in this forum). Some tobaccos that I’ve been leaning towards trying are Plum Pudding, Gaslight, and Father Dempsey.

And the list...

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Sutliff Virginia Slices

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Sutliff Elizabethan Match

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Cornell and Diehl Bayou Morning

Cornell and Diehl Haunted Bookshop

Peter Stokkebye English Luxury

Dunhill London Mixture

Sutliff Old Professor

Cornell and Diehl Star of the East

I have tried Peter Stokkebye English Luxury and it is a good, well balanced English with a nice price. If you like English/Balkan blends, you will likely enjoy this. I would call it a varsity version of G.L. Pease Westminster -- a wonderful smoke!
I think that I prefer Sutliff 503 as my varsity english blend, and it is even cheaper usually, and often on sale.

Cornell and Diehl Star of the East is a very flavorful blend with more incense to it than many English/Balkans, especially on the retrohale. This is some seriously good stuff!

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake is a lovely, coin-shaped tobacco. I'm not big fan of Va/Pers, but this one tastes far better to me than say, for instance, Orlick Golden Sliced (probably the most touted Va/Per). If you fold and stuff this, it will smoke very slow and long -- I've had two coins stuffed in medium sized bulldog last over and hour!

I try to stick with blends that are sold in bulk, and I shy away from tobaccos that are discontinued -- don't want to find that I can't live without Royal Yacht.

The luxury twist flake and navy flakes from Peter Stokkebye are very similar to each other. My memory can't really even recall any significant difference in taste between them, just some more subtle nuances (tho my memory could be flawed, so anyone with recent first hand experience feel free to correct/confirm that).

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The luxury twist flake and navy flakes from Peter Stokkebye are very similar to each other. My memory can't really even recall any significant difference in taste between them, just some more subtle nuances (tho my memory could be flawed, so anyone with recent first hand experience feel free to correct/confirm that).

For me Luxury Twist has a very noticeable coconut/vanilla topping. It’s nothing approaching an aromatic though, and I like it enough to have a good amount cellared:

For me Luxury Twist has a very noticeable coconut/vanilla topping. It’s nothing approaching an aromatic though, and I like it enough to have a good amount cellared:
Actually, that is ringing a bell in my memory banks as well, now that you mention it..

Top Bottom