What's new

"Flavor Booster" Charcoal--Good Night

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Friends, we have gone through the looking glass.

Kingsford-Adds-Food-Flavors-Charcoal-FT-BLOG0322.jpg

Who in the world thought this was a good idea? Now, I've certainly tossed thyme on the fire (as well as rosemary, marjoram, and maybe some other woody herbs), but nothing else about this makes any sense whatsoever. No one with any sense about cooking much of anything would want anything to do with this nonsense.

I saw this stuff, and I felt like I needed to clean from my shoes whatever it was I'd stepped in.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I saw these as I was walking into my supermarket several weeks ago and was laughing to myself.

Let me tell you the market audience…you guessed it correctly without my help. These same people buy scented bamboo toilet paper 🧻 for $10 USD for two rolls.

I might however be in the market for some basil, rosemary and thyme TP. If they go all out herbs de Provence I'm in fer sure...

I saw these as I was walking into my supermarket several weeks ago and was laughing to myself.

I might however be in the market for some basil, rosemary and thyme TP. If they go all out herbs de Provence I'm in fer sure...
I'm not laughing. My neighbor, a charcoal-grilling junkie, told me a few months ago that these Kingsford flavor boosters are great, he raved about them. If the meat he was grilling Sunday tasted as good as the aroma floating from his backyard, then he had a wonderful meal.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@KUfan, which one was he using? As I mentioned, I could sort of see something in the basil, sage, thyme one, but the other two just don't make any sense to me at all.

@KUfan, which one was he using? As I mentioned, I could sort of see something in the basil, sage, thyme one, but the other two just don't make any sense to me at all.
I haven't seen him much lately. He owns a lawn care service and works sunup to 6-7 pm most days. Likely see him sometime this weekend with a chance to ask him. I'm sure he has all three varieties.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I could see hickory, or mesquite or something similar.
Wood smoke makes sense on a grill.
Spices make no sense to me.
If I want spices on my steak or burger or dog, I'll put it on there, not hope the charcoal does an adequate job.
What's more, the spices I want on my steak are not likely to be the ones I want on my corn or other things that may go in the grill.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I could see hickory, or mesquite or something similar.
Wood smoke makes sense on a grill.
Spices make no sense to me.
If I want spices on my steak or burger or dog, I'll put it on there, not hope the charcoal does an adequate job.
What's more, the spices I want on my steak are not likely to be the ones I want on my corn or other things that may go in the grill.

Like my uncle in Uvalde always said...let the wood do the flavoring. My brother-in-law said the same.

The only time I use briquettes is for Dutch oven cooking and a flavored charcoal does nothing for flavor in that situation.

My neighbor said he was grilling flank steak and skinless chicken thighs for fajitas. He used the cumin and chili version, and said the meat turned out great. He does use all three kinds of flavor enhancers, and uses one of them every time he fires up the Weber. He told me, "You gotta try these!"

Top Bottom