What's new

Flattop wearers or barbers -- what's your opinion?

Got a flattop for the first time last Saturday. Plan is if I keep it, I would get it cut every two or three weeks or maybe learn how to trim it myself. After getting ready this morning, the top appeared to be much longer (in relative terms) than the last couple of days. I know my hair grows fast, but never had it this short before and therefore was never able to do this sort of comparison. If there are any barbers on B&B, any flattop experts, or anyone else who wants to offer an opinion, in order to keep it looking sharp and like a traditional flattop, does it look like it could/should be trimmed already? It's only been 6 days. Suggestions are welcomed.
February 3 (left pic) -- February 9 (right pic) --
20180203_LI (2).jpg WP_20180209_09_11_24_Selfie[2662] (3).jpg

The +6 day hair looks taller but also looks flatter or move even. As if the first picture was taken while the hair was still wet from tonic. IMO your hair still looks fine, it all depends on the look you are going for.

I am trying to recall from decades ago when the hairstyle was more common (at least among ex-military, law enforcement, and people who grew up before the Beatles era) overhearing my father and others talk about how often those men would get a haircut. I believe the ideal was to get a haircut every 2 weeks. Getting a cut every 3-4 weeks was also considered good enough depending on a person's time and budget. A few men who had the time/budget would visit their barber every week in order to keep a very sharp look, though again I think 2 weeks was the more common goal for those that wanted to maintain a nice flattop. Anything beyond a month and the hair would grow too much I think.

While your haircut could be called a flattop, the flattop I am thinking about from decades ago was probably a bit shorter than your first photo. So I might also be mixing up a little bit of a buzz cut in my feedback above. I have never worn a flattop or buzz cut but recall some men in my church and community when I was young keeping a nice short haircut that was square on top, or at least squarish. Not quite a buzz cut but not perfectfully flat since the hair was so short. These men were traditionalist and always had a well maintained look.

Appreciate your perspective and response, StillShaving. The pic on the right looks drier because I was trying different products before buying anything else to determine what will work best with the flattop. I'll probably end up going every two weeks to have it trimmed, that is until I maybe learn how to trim it myself, if I go that route.

To your point regarding the length, there are definitely varying degrees of length for flattops. Mine is probably considered a medium length versus a longer version as shown here...
TLFT.jpg

or a shorter, more 50's style version as shown here...
TSFT.jpg

I like the shorter version above, but wasn't ready to go that short from my length prior to getting the flattop as shown here...
pic2.jpg

Therefore decided to go with a more medium length as shown in this pic...
JRFT.jpg

The other thing is I have a high spot on the top of my head. In order to still have some hair on that spot, the hair along my forehead needs to be a bit longer to maintain a non-sloping flattop. If I go too short in the front, I'll have a landing strip and I'm not quite ready for that.

I prefer the medium length as well. I like the idea of touching up in between barber visits, but I imagine it will take a steady hand and practice to do right.

Stick with the medium length the short version is more active duty. Also plan on a trip to the barber every two weeks. Probably need some type of styling product to help . Used to be stuff called Crew Wax.

Stick with the medium length the short version is more active duty. Also plan on a trip to the barber every two weeks. Probably need some type of styling product to help . Used to be stuff called Crew Wax.

Thanks freebird. Even though I like the look of the shorter flattop, if I keep mine, the medium length is the one I'll stick with. As you pointed out, the shorter flattop is worn more by active duty/military or law enforcement guys. Since I'm not part of either group, the medium flattop is probably more appropriate. Yesterday it was two weeks and your comment regarding going every two weeks is something I will have to do to keep it looking sharp, unless I learn how to do a little trimming between trips to the barber, because it has already lost it's tight shape. Regarding products, been using some stuff I had, but decided today to get two flattop products -- Master Krew Comb and Flattop Wax, as well as a flattop comb if I decide to try trimming it myself. I'll test out the new products after getting it cleaned up.

Sweet flattop! I'm jealous because my hair is too wavy for a flattop. When I had to go with the high and tight my head ended up just looking like a Q-tip. Keep it medium. Like Sgt. Carter

IMG_8108.JPG

Sweet flattop! I'm jealous because my hair is too wavy for a flattop. When I had to go with the high and tight my head ended up just looking like a Q-tip. Keep it medium. Like Sgt. Carter

View attachment 861634

Thanks, Chango.

Re: your hair being too wavy, you might be surprised. Have you ever asked your barber if a flattop would work with your hair? That's what I did and my barber told me that my hair naturally wants to lay down directly at the hair root and that getting it to stand up might be difficult. He told me the only real way to find out was to try it. So I decided to give it a shot because if it wouldn't stand up and as quickly as my hair grows, it wouldn't be long before it would lay down again. Wasn't sure I'd like it, but as it turns out I do. Kinda cool having a classic haircut, even though flattops aren't very popular anymore. Had thought about trying one for awhile. Since I have a full beard and after coming across the attached pic, decided it was time to find out. Showed my barber the pic below and asked if he thought I could pull it off. You might want to give it a try. Definitely glad I did.

IFT.jpg

I wore a Flat top off and one since HS . I get mine cut tight and it can go 4-6 weeks before I get it tighten up.

img_8108-jpg.861634

Got a haircut yesterday and decided to try a different barber shop. Thought back to this pic because Gomer Pyle was on the TV when I walked in and Sgt. Carter was on.

In one of the chairs, there was a guy getting a flattop when I walked in and the barber giving the flattop was sporting one as well. However, either he wears his flattop long or he was in need of a trim himself. While I was getting mine cut, another guy took a seat in the third chair and got his flattop cleaned up. Wonder if that was a record or normal for that barber shop to have three guys getting a flattop at the same time, and to have one of the three barbers sporting a flattop as well.

Last edited:
Tried yet another barbershop this morning. Heard this place was good plus it was less expensive and closer - bonus! I think he did a great job. After taking a seat and instead of hearing "so what are we doing today?", the barber said, "flattop today?". It's been 6 weeks since my last cut, so it didn't look like a flattop any more, but it's interesting that he could still recognize it. He asked if I wanted a landing strip. Told him no and that I've never had one. Then I asked him if the majority of his customers get one and he said yes because there's less maintenance involved with a shorter flattop. I'm getting the urge to maybe give it a try one of these times. Been going with the rounded edges, but might at some point try a more boxed-off flattop. Urge any of you who have been thinking about getting one to do so. I definitely like having a flattop.

Pre-cut (from a week ago - sorry the pic is grainy)...
SAN.jpg

After today's cut...
FT2.jpg

I have worn a flattop off and one mostly on for 30 years...feels great and enjoy having it short...definitely try it/

Usually wear a flat but sometimes go bald fade once a year shave it all off. Feels good to get bald.
You must be an expert since you normally are sporting a flattop! Cannot see myself doing a complete head shave, unless I had an extreme case of thinning or participated in a fund raiser. Will stick with the flattop, but would also consider a high and tight since I do like the shaved sides and back look.

The total head shave always makes me wear a hat for two day. LOL.... Glad you are enjoying your flat. I did not start keeping mine flat until I was forty. Just wish I would have done it sooner. I love this haircut wish more guys worn it. They don't know what they are missing.

Top Bottom