What's new

Flat Caps

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What are your preferred flat cap styles?

Last year I picked up my first flat cap and are thinking of getting second.
My first was a caddy cap and I like it a lot.
What I'm looking for is different style and are leaning towards a duck bill. Then again maybe a baker boy in a different colour. Oh I don't know.

This is my caddy cap.
$caddy cap.png

and on my head.

$caddy cap1.png

This is one of the duck bill caps I'm looking at, not sure on the colour.

duckbill.png

I have a grey Hats in the Belfry Boilermaker pub cap also, but I prefer Hanna's touring caps. Have four of them, a grey in w/red & green window pane stitching, a brown salt & pepper, a green salt & pepper, & a blue/black herringbone. The grey, brown, & green are in Donegal & the blue/black is in Harris tweed.

I only have 3 so far. Two are mostly wool and a third is made of leather which I bought for wet weather.
Wool is not so good in the rain.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
3 of my 4.
Top 2 are Stetson linen, yes, real linen. Bottom is my pride and joy, Harris Tweed. Agree with Doc4, Harris Tweed is amazingly water resistant. I actually spent years finding the pattern I like. One thing I hate on a flat cap is the button on top (but I'm sure it looks good on you, especially if you got a cup of soup with it :001_cool:)
0504172206c.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
3 of my 4.
Top 2 are Stetson linen, yes, real linen. Bottom is my pride and joy, Harris Tweed. Agree with Doc4, Harris Tweed is amazingly water resistant. I actually spent years finding the pattern I like. One thing I hate on a flat cap is the button on top (but I'm sure it looks good on you, especially if you got a cup of soup with it :001_cool:)
View attachment 786865

What no button? Next you will be telling me pompoms are no go.

images2TXJQY5V.jpg

captp

Pompoms are really cute on cheerleaders, but they're not for me, not even for a cup of soup.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Pompoms are really cute on cheerleaders, but they're not for me, not even for a cup of soup.

Pompoms have their place just not on me as well.
The buttons on flat caps only appear on the baker boy and caddy caps as far as I can see. The standard cheese cutter has no button. I guess it's there to hide the tip where the 6 or 8 panels connect.

captp

I also hate when folks call a Newsboy cap a Flat Cap. They're anything but flat.
Harris Tweed can do it in four panels and don't need no stinkin' button

1493999045821777930930.jpg

I just ordered a Harris Tweed just because of this thread. Here is a picture of the 3 I now have. Two are wool one is leather which I got for wet weather.

Flat caps.JPG

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Top Bottom