What's new

Flat Caps

I have a few. A nice Irish tweed made by Crown Cap in Canada. It was a deal on amazon for a short time, but it’s normally pricey. Very nice lining and quality.

I have some cotton and linen caps from Sterkowski. Made in Poland but shipping is relatively quick and they are affordable. The quality is also very high. Linen is very cool in the summer.

I’d like to get another nice tweed. Some nice ones in this thread for sure.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hello, looking to find a flat cap for late summer/fall weather... are there any "don't buy before giving -this- brand a look" recommendations? There was a mention of Harris Tweed and Hanna Hats... any others I should be looking at? Thank you.

I just received a Shandon and a Glen Appin and both seem to be very high quality. Of the two the wool was more finely finished on the Glen Appin.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I made the jump and purchased a harris tweed flat cap... out of curiosity, do you guys apply like a 3m waterproofing spray or anything to your flat caps?

I made the jump and purchased a harris tweed flat cap... out of curiosity, do you guys apply like a 3m waterproofing spray or anything to your flat caps?

Not me, but our (continuous) Pacific NW rains are pretty light. Also, most of mine are cheaper than a Harris tweed cap.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

No.

If you are in enough of a downpour that you worry about your hat being waterproof, you are wearing the wrong style of hat.

Get one of these:

1569898377012.png

What works best for me in downpours is a hardhat. Not joking.

+1

And I add a face shield and ear protection when I’m out in the timber with a chainsaw, unlike pretty boy up there with his big hat. Think he knows how to start that saw? He might want some gloves, too.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ha. The hard hat with a face shield may work well when using the saw but try and wear it out and about and you will look really out of place.

I find my flat caps can handle a few minutes walk from my car to office in the rain, even short dashes in heavy downpours. Sure it will need to be left to dry if it was heavy but that normally does not take long. Another reason to have a couple of caps. :)

I second @Doc4 recommendation on selecting a more appropriate wet weather hat if you are doing out in a real heavy downpour. That or have jacket with a hood to pull over the cap would work well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cleaning question caps say dry clean only but cannot find a dry cleaner that will do them any suggestions
I'll bet if you had some kind of form to let it dry on you could wash it by hand in cold water with a mild soap.

Or not.

Might not be color fast. (You notice how I bet you could do it....but that it's not my hat!)

What part are you trying to clean?

Wool - Clean with cashmere detergent. Brush if just dirt.
Band - Baking soda should soak up oil and grime.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Just picked up a summer cap from Hills Hats.
It's a driving cap 70% Linen 30% cotton with a cotton lining.

So much to select from, it was hard to come away with just one.
I went with a light blue instead of the fawn one I went in looking for.

20191123_103308.jpg

20191123_110201.jpg

20191123_110224.jpg

20191123_110502.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice cap Chris. There certainly is a few to choose from there. I would have been dumbfounded by the choice.

Top Bottom