What's new

Flat Caps

Ad Astra

The Instigator
*So*hard* to rock the flat cap ... you need to be 20 or 80, because the thing will push you to either age extreme.

If wool soaks through, silicone spray the rascal. Can make a tissue water-repellent if you try. CampMor or 3M spray etc.

AA

Just realized I have one bionic red eye in my image. Thank you allergies, you make life oh so wonderful.

More germane, I've never felt the need to waterproof my wool caps. Any reason you guys are doing this? I figure that if I'm in the rain without an umbrella, I have more important things to worry about than my cap.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've never felt the need to waterproof my wool caps. Any reason you guys are doing this? I figure that if I'm in the rain without an umbrella, I have more important things to worry about than my cap.

I think that if I'm in enough rain long enough for my flat cap to soak through, having a leather or wax cotton cap instead is kind of like upgrading to First Class on the Titanic: still way too much water around my ears!

More germane, I've never felt the need to waterproof my wool caps. Any reason you guys are doing this? I figure that if I'm in the rain without an umbrella, I have more important things to worry about than my cap.

If you are going somewhere like a movie, you don't want to arrive with a cap that is soaking wet. If you leave it on your head or hold it in your hand, it's awkward either way.
It may be unlikely that it will ever happen but it's still nice to have some comfort in knowing your cap is water repellant. That's why I ordered a Harris Tweed as 'Doc4' suggested.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
proxy.php

proxy.php

Good morning, Sir. Welcome to the National Cheese Emporium!

These hats are great. They are not so likely to get blown off your head on a windy day like a baseball cap and when driving your car you can put your visor up or down without knocking your cap off.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Just a bit of useless trivia.
I tried to make heads or tails out of the cheese cutter name. It appears to be a old English term referring to the wedge shape, similar to a slice of cheese.

Ivy Cap keeps coming up as a name for a flat cap in the USA but I don't recall seeing that name used here. Do they still get called that?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Chris, I think Ivy Cap is a general name that takes in all the caps we're talking about, from Flat Cap to Newsboy.

I have been wearing Stetson Hatteras flat caps for many years. I lost my favorite, but, still have two for winter.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

After reading this thread they are caddy or newsbonewsboy with the button. I had a leather duckbill from stetson that I recently sold as I disliked the cut so much. I also had a suede cheese cutter from Stetson that I sold. Both the leathers were made in CChina the Hatteras style are made in Germany. Currently I also have a cordoroy Levis duckbill someone gifted me. I think the caddy's suit me well and I always get complements on them. And they stand up to rain just fine.

I'm disappointed. I ordered a Harris Tweed flat cap last week and it finally came in. It fit nicely but the size of the top diameter is very large compared to the ones I now have. I don't like it. Here is a picture of my new one next to one of my others. I'm not sure if the picture shows the difference.

Ivy caps.JPG

Top Bottom