What's new

Flat Caps

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I also hate when folks call a Newsboy cap a Flat Cap. They're anything but flat.
Harris Tweed can do it in four panels and don't need no stinkin' button

View attachment 786947

Hey, who pushed your stinkin' button. :)

Do you have another name for duckbills, as they are not exactly flap either?
What you call a flat cap is a cheese cutter here but I think that is only a NZ term.

It's bad enough with all of the shaving gear I buy, now you guys got me buying cloths also.

Well you can't wear that shaving brush on your head when you go out. :)

What you call a flat cap is a cheese cutter here but I think that is only a NZ term.

Well you can't wear that shaving brush on your head when you go out. :)

Good point. I just started buying this type of hat last year. They are pretty nice.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.

:)
Duckbills are way flatter than newsboys. Just getting excited about going to England. Probably only take my Harris Tweed. Might blend in better, at least until i speak.

Duckbills are way flatter than newsboys. Just getting excited about going to England. Probably only take my Harris Tweed. Might blend in better, at least until i speak.

It would be great if someone could post pictures of what Duckbill hat, newsboys hat, driving hat, and golf hat looks like. I thought they were all flat hats.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

Will it be summer when you go to Old Blighty?
Yeah duckbills are close to a standard flat caps while newboys would come under floppy.

It would be great if someone could post pictures of what Duckbill hat, newsboys hat, driving hat, and golf hat looks like. I thought they were all flat hats.

I'm by no means a expert but hope this helps. If I have missed anything or there are regional name difference can someone else chine in here.

Flat caps (cheese cutter here in NZ) have a flat peak back to front.

flat cap.png

Duck bills a similar but the peak has a curve making it look like a duck bill.

duck bill.jpg.png

Then there is the newsboy caddy cap. It's top is normally made of 6 or 8 panels giving it a floppy look.
Note the much loved button on top. :)
The front of the hat is stitched to the peak.

caddy cap.png

caddy cap 2.png

Then there is the baker boy. Similar to the caddy cap but normally more floppy and the hat is not stitched to the peak.

baker boy.png

wpid-ptg02167907.jpg

captp

Newsboy
brood-herringbone-wool-blend-newsboy-cap-brown-khaki.jpg

Duckbill
herringbone-wool-blend-duckbill-ivy-cap.jpg

Flatcap (my opinion)
large-herringbone-wool-blend-ivy-cap.jpg

Not sure what constitutes a golf or driving cap

captp

Will it be summer when you go to Old Blighty?
Yeah duckbills are close to a standard flat caps while newboys would come under floppy.

I'm by no means a expert but hope this helps. If I have missed anything or there are regional name difference can someone else chine in here.
You posted while I was still composing. Good explanation of the caps.
I'll be going across the big pond in about 2 weeks. My Cuz says it's still nice comfortable weather, and isn't yet innundated by the Ugly Americans; hope I don't turn out to be one.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'll be going across the big pond in about 2 weeks. My Cuz says it's still nice comfortable weather, and isn't yet innundated by the Ugly Americans; hope I don't turn out to be one.

It's good to see my post matches yours.
You will be there in the tail end of their spring time, enjoy the trip.

Once I ordered a flat cap online and when I got it in, it was rather large in diameter. It fit okay but it was about 25% bigger than my other flat caps. I sent it back. It was quite floppy.

strop

Now half as wise
innundated by the Ugly Americans; hope I don't turn out to be one.
That's pretty much how I've thought of the various styles. The golfing and driving caps, to me are other names for what are pictured as flat caps above. And I always thought a cheesecutter was a
upload_2017-5-6_12-47-30.jpeg

It is impossible to not stick out as an American unless you've lived abroad for several months, and then it takes effort and only if you don't speak!:lol: Manners are universal. Dress appropriately, be well groomed, and be polite. You will be fine.

captp

@strop I think you're right about driving, golf caps. Being low crowned, they won't bump against the roof of a car; for golf they offer little wind resistance, and don't get in the way on your backswing (I say that like I know anything about either)
I'll follow Cousin Rich's lead on everything English; he's lived there for 30+ years; they still call him the Yank, I think.

This is Britain my friend. Just because it's nice weather today doesn't mean it will be nice tomorrow! Doesn't even mean it will still be nice in an hour! Why do you think we are famous for discussing the weather?

Bring your flat cap, you will need it at some point!

By the way, I was brought up in South Wales and they are called Dai Caps in the Valleys!

Gareth

Top Bottom