What's new

Flat Caps

My question for this thread would be at what age do you think hats like this would be appropriate? I'm in my mid-late 20's, and just don't know how well received a hat like this would be at my age.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My question for this thread would be at what age do you think hats like this would be appropriate? I'm in my mid-late 20's, and just don't know how well received a hat like this would be at my age.

proxy.php

Never too young.

As long as it fits with your personal style, you are fine. If you feel self-conscious wearing it, you will give off "that" vibe ... there will be a bit of that when you first wear it in any event, but that passes ... but if/once you feel comfortable wearing it, it's just part of your personal style.

Importantly, at your particular age you will find that some of your friends, associates and peers have taken the step and are maturing into proper adulthood ... and some haven't (and may never do so.) Only members of the latter group will mock you for wearing "old man clothing" (ie clothing of actual adults rather than teenagers), and only the members of the former group are worth associating with.

Wheat/chaff ... baby/bathwater ... pick your analogy ... and then pick your friends wisely.

A picture is worth a thousand words. That kid looks awesome lol. Next stop trying to find where to get these. For being a free forum this place sure is expensive.

Touring Ireland in my early twenties a flat cap was on the shopping list of many of my wandering peers, different decade...

Like @Doc4 said, if it feels right.
Wear it and release your inner rebel.
dave

I always wear a flat cap for golf and have for the past 20 years. It started out for me from being a fan of Payne Stewart (at one point in time I wore knickers/plus-fours too) and Ben Hogan but now I just love the retro style.
Im not in it as deep as some of you seem to be. I just buy cheap ones from Wal-Mart or Kohls.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My cap arrived today and I like this one a lot, very comfortable fit.
The shade of grey is to my likening. I can see this one getting a lot of use this winter.

View attachment 985894

View attachment 985895

View attachment 985896

Looks good, Chris. that is something you can wear with pride.

I have three: a herringbone tweed for winter and two linen for summer. The tweed and one of the linen ones are newsboy caps, and the other is a regular "driving" cap.

I get comments all the time such as "I like your hat", "Nice hat", and "Where did you get that? I want one."

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks good, Chris. that is something you can wear with pride.

I have three: a herringbone tweed for winter and two linen for summer. The tweed and one of the linen ones are newsboy caps, and the other is a regular "driving" cap.

I get comments all the time such as "I like your hat", "Nice hat", and "Where did you get that? I want one."

View attachment 987860

Nice caps, Simon. I have not picked up a linen cap yet but I do want to get one or two.
Having a few winter caps gives me a bit of variety and when one gets too wet from being in the rain, I can let it dry for a day and use another one.

Im thinking I might want to up my flat cap game and buy some better quality caps. What are considered to be the best brands?

Here’s my ‘best’ (most expensive) cap, a Borsalino Doria.

34A99DAC-EAAF-4735-B811-1506AA555CC4.jpeg

There are plenty of good hat shops here in Portland, OR. I got this one at John Helmer, probably the longest established of the bunch. They sell on the web as well, but to see all the inventory and try them on, a trip downtown is the way to go.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've mostly driving caps. Most are either English, Irish or Italian made wool tweeds. No major brands; many just come from Saks. I've also some Loden caps, one in Austrian Loden cloth and the other in English moleskin--plus a Barbour cap in waxed cotton for unfriendly skies. For the summer, I opt for cotton or linen caps from Stetson.

I've mostly driving caps. Most are either English, Irish or Italian made wool tweeds. No major brands; many just come from Saks. I've also some Loden caps, one in Austrian Loden cloth and the other in English moleskin--plus a Barbour cap in waxed cotton for unfriendly skies. For the summer, I opt for cotton or linen caps from Stetson.

Sounds like you have a great selection on tap. It is so easy to accumulate flat caps, they stack so compactly.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Sounds like you have a great selection on tap. It is so easy to accumulate flat caps, they stack so compactly.
Thank you. Yes, they do store nicely; all together, they consume less storage than a cowboy hat. Plus, they're always coming up on sale online at either Saks or Barneys.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Last week I got this beautiful Failsworth Harris Tweed Baker Boy cap from the UK. The patchwork pattern is exactly like in photo and the size (58) is just perfect.

mh20-harris-tweed-button-top-cap-patch-work.jpg

This one is by Epoch, summer weight 100% cotton, but with a linen look and finish. My local shop was out of my size and wasn’t able to order this late in the season. Internet took care of me; really like the cap.

C7AA6EBD-D576-4941-8071-565945D997BD.jpeg

Top Bottom