What's new

Flat Caps

I like Sterkowski for linnen and summer caps. I have ordered from Hanna and Biddy Murphy for me and my father in law. They are nice. My favorite for nice tweed is Crown caps out of Canada by a far margin. They make them to order and have the most perfect lining and band. They have an elastic portion on the front of the band that fits my bald head like they were custom made for me. Most comfortable hat I have ever worn!
I just ordered 3 Flat Caps from Crown. 35% off, local pickup/delivery, Made in Canada collection.

I opted for a couple basic wool blend and one waxed cotton.

If they work out, I'll look into a higher end Tweed for my next order. If they don't work out, free returns to the store.

Thank again for the tip on Crown.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Picked up a few caps from Nathaniel Cole 1934 (Crown Cap Winnipeg's imported China line) but am only keeping this one. The others didn't fit well. They were on a clearance at a major department store.

Set me back a whopping $12 Canadian.

I still haven't made it to Haberdashery to check out the high end hats they have....hopefully soon

View attachment 1068728View attachment 1068730

Since @oc_in_fw posted his mug....here's mine with my new hat on. Wife & Kids now approve and like them on me now. Probably because I look and act like I'm 70...but I'm only 47 :eek2:

View attachment 1068732
THAT is a hat my friend! I believe I could actually pull that off; I REALLY like what I guess would be called the "bill" on it if it were a baseball cap.

You "rook mahvelous" my friend, to quote my good friend Billy Crystal!

I just ordered 3 Flat Caps from Crown. 35% off, local pickup/delivery, Made in Canada collection.

If they work out, I'll look into a higher end Tweed for my next order. If they don't work out, free returns to the store.

love to hear your thoughts after you get them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Crown are the folks who made my shearling winter hats ... great stuff on the made-in-Canada ... didn't know they were doing some stuff in China ...
1641407109521.png

... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Crown are the folks who made my shearling winter hats ... great stuff on the made-in-Canada ... didn't know they were doing some stuff in China ...
View attachment 1389307
... not that there's anything wrong with that.
Their lower end stuff, Nathanial Cole (named after the owners son I believe) is not made in Canada. It's still a great hat, quality material and workmanship, branded Crown badge on outside, but tag is made overseas.

The website shows a Canada flag by the ones made here, I assume right here in Winnipeg, as the warehouse and pickup location is.

Lawrence & Foster are in a different class.
Well, I'm Irish. 100%. And I will NOT buy an Irish flat cap (even though I realize the particular type of cap originated in Britain in the 1500s) from a British manufacturer. Lawrence and Foster caps are made by a British company in Yorkshire, England. That's all I need to know to delete them from my list. Hanna are fine with me. So are John Hanly...

Well, I'm Irish. 100%. And I will NOT buy an Irish flat cap (even though I realize the particular type of cap originated in Britain in the 1500s) from a British manufacturer. Lawrence and Foster caps are made by a British company in Yorkshire, England. That's all I need to know to delete them from my list. Hanna are fine with me. So are John Hanly...
I've got a few from Mucros Weavers and they're great.

Well, I'm Irish. 100%. And I will NOT buy an Irish flat cap (even though I realize the particular type of cap originated in Britain in the 1500s) from a British manufacturer. Lawrence and Foster caps are made by a British company in Yorkshire, England. That's all I need to know to delete them from my list. Hanna is fine with me. So are John Hanly...
Please explain, why do you hate Irish flat caps, particularly Lawrence and Foster?

Please explain, why do you hate Irish flat caps, particularly Lawrence and Foster?
I believe he hates British manufacturers, not Irish flat caps.
Come Out, ye black and tans…. lol

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, I'm Irish. 100%. And I will NOT buy an Irish flat cap (even though I realize the particular type of cap originated in Britain in the 1500s) from a British manufacturer

I know of a great cap maker in Ulster, and ... oh, nevermind.

Lately my favorite type of caps are 8 panel caps. I get them at Boston Scally Caps.
I tried to copy a picture but for some reason it's not working.

Last edited:
Top Bottom