What's new

Flat Caps & Cocking Your Dock

Has anyone heard the expression "cocking your dock" applied to the use of flat caps? Does anybody have any ideas about what it means? There is nothing filthy about it unless you are dyslexic!

Yeah the first few google search results were adult oriented....not about this topic.

**** means to tilt, so then I looked for a "dock hat" which do exist but look more like what is commonly called a "toboggan" in my area. Based on all that I might imagine it means to wear the flat cap with an exaggerated tilt. That instead of "doning your dock" you would "**** your dock" and head out to town.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm going to take a wild swing at this.
Is it repositioning the cap on your head so the peak sits higher on the forehead, giving a slightly angled up appearance?

Is it repositioning the cap on your head so the peak sits higher on the forehead, giving a slightly angled up appearance?
Yup.

"Tilt" would be a better word for today's Google searches

Remove the # from below as it even censors hyperlinks

C0ck your hat – angles are attitudes. ~ Frank Sinatra

Cock Your Hat

Put on a hat, give it a tilt, and suddenly you have a little more attitude....

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yeah google can take a duel meaning word and dominate it with the inappropriate version.
I don't tend to tilt my cap to the side but think that is the more common way. I do tilt mine upwards on occasions but only if I'm getting warm with it on.

It originates from pre-Health & Safety days when flat caps were worn by stable lads and work riders in the racing industry. Cocking your dock works best on an eight-piece cap where the peak has a popper. The peak was turned upwards at the beginning of the gallops and the cap became more secure. It works just as well for people on foot who get caught in a gale.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It originates from pre-Health & Safety days when flat caps were worn by stable lads and work riders in the racing industry. Cocking your dock works best on an eight-piece cap where the peak has a popper. The peak was turned upwards at the beginning of the gallops and the cap became more secure. It works just as well for people on foot who get caught in a gale.

Cool, I live in windy Wellington. Handy to know.

Top Bottom