What's new

Flask's newbie adventure

This week's SWS kit change, using the Razorock UFO handle with the English Aluminum Tech was very interesting. The SWS format is perfect to help analyze small kit changes, it was easy to think about how the UFO felt different to the Vintage Thin to the OEM handle.

I like the UFO handle, in general. 13mm is a nice diameter and I think I'd like thicker, even. But this handle is pretty heavy already, thicker and lighter would be nice. the knurling is so deep and sharp on the RR UFO that it feels almost unfinished to me, perhaps a grip that's a bit less grippy would be better.

After two weeks with the Nacet following up two weeks with the Gillette Platinum in the Aluminum Tech, the Nacet is more efficient but it's a tad rougher. For daily shaving the GP is the better choice for me. The Nacet would be better in this razor for multi-day growth, but I'd probably be using an OC razor in that situation anyway.

1676786747213.png

This week I'm switching over the new Tech that joined the den this week (see earlier posts). I'm starting out with the Gillette Platinum, my favorite of the three (Astra, GP, Nacet) I tried with the @Guido75 Aluminum Tech. Exciting to be moving to a different razor, even if it's just really a close relative. Hopefully not that uncle you hate type of relative.

I'll be using the stock fat handle. I need to get a scale, I'd love to compare the weights of these razors in stock form. I bet the difference is substantial!

The Omega Jade is showing a lot of split tips now. The softening backbone that started a few weeks ago seems to have stopped at a nicely scrubby but splayable state. I'm really happy with this brush, in many ways it's now the brush my other boars are going to get compared to moving forward.

I'm finally fully over my head cold and had a fantastic long walk in the park today. Part of it is a dog park - or as I like to call it, the dog rental center. I sometimes pick up a dog walking partner or two as I walk past, they are fun companions for a lap, like little furry fitness trainers.

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'll be using the stock fat handle. I need to get a scale, I'd love to compare the weights of these razors in stock form. I bet the difference is substantial!
:thumbup:This might help!:thumbup:

47 English Flat Bottom Tech
Cap-12.2g Baseplate-13.2g C&P-25.6 Handle-24.9g Total-50.5g
Gap= .028" $ Gift from Cal Buck $
Mirror Nickel Re-plate Cap 11/18/22 BackRoadsGold $25.00

67 England Tech aluminum handle
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.2g C&P-20.4 Handle-11.5g Total-32g
Gap= .026" $ PIF from Mawashi $
PIF to B&B Member

67 Tech M4* aluminum handle Mar 3, 2019
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.4g C&P-20.6 Handle-12.2g Total-33g
Gap= .025" $5.00

PreWar Tech** Apr 13, 2019
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.0g C&P-24.5 Handle-23g Total-47.5g
Gap= .019" $10.49
Mirror Nickel re-plate handle at BRG $25.00

53 Tech Y2*** Mar 5, 2019
Cap-11.4g Steel Baseplate-8.4g C&P-19.8 Handle-36.3g Total-56.2g
Gap= .021" $19.50

No Date (46-50) Tech
Cap-11.2g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-22.0 Handle-34.6g Total-56.5g
Gap= .024" $ PIF from Mawashi $

English Tech* (Early)
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-25.3 Handle-37.0g Total-62.3g
Gap= .028" $ PIF from Mawashi $

From 32 grams to 62 grams, there is a considerable weight difference and gaps .019"-.028" in techs. :cornut:

~doug~

:thumbup:This might help!:thumbup:

47 English Flat Bottom Tech
Cap-12.2g Baseplate-13.2g C&P-25.6 Handle-24.9g Total-50.5g
Gap= .028" $ Gift from Cal Buck $
Mirror Nickel Re-plate Cap 11/18/22 BackRoadsGold $25.00

67 England Tech aluminum handle
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.2g C&P-20.4 Handle-11.5g Total-32g
Gap= .026" $ PIF from Mawashi $
PIF to B&B Member

67 Tech M4* aluminum handle Mar 3, 2019
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.4g C&P-20.6 Handle-12.2g Total-33g
Gap= .025" $5.00

PreWar Tech** Apr 13, 2019
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.0g C&P-24.5 Handle-23g Total-47.5g
Gap= .019" $10.49
Mirror Nickel re-plate handle at BRG $25.00

53 Tech Y2*** Mar 5, 2019
Cap-11.4g Steel Baseplate-8.4g C&P-19.8 Handle-36.3g Total-56.2g
Gap= .021" $19.50

No Date (46-50) Tech
Cap-11.2g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-22.0 Handle-34.6g Total-56.5g
Gap= .024" $ PIF from Mawashi $

English Tech* (Early)
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-25.3 Handle-37.0g Total-62.3g
Gap= .028" $ PIF from Mawashi $

From 32 grams to 62 grams, there is a considerable weight difference and gaps .019"-.028" in techs. :cornut:

~doug~

Booom! Dude. THANK YOU! I can't tell you how helpful that is!

That is a big range of weights and gaps. And then when you figure in differences between individual examples...

The 15g difference between your aluminum handle Tech and your pre-war war Tech was the number I was super interested in, that's like a 30% swing. That feels right, with both of them in my hands right now. The balance is different as well.

Thanks Doug! Super helpful.

Last edited:
Mastering Potions,
Second Year

Chapter Seventeen: Black Pixie Preshave Soap

Flask's Class notes

I've been here over two semesters now and I love Badgerwarts! I'm not so sure about this potions class though, Professor @thombrogan is still shaming me for applying my preshave soap by hand.

harry potter slapping GIF

And occasionally slaps me around some if I'm being cheeky.

I'm determined to get an A in this class and master these arcane preshave rituals. I have a few "second shelf" wands I can dedicate to a preshave soap potion and I even have a burlap sack of preshave soap potions ingredients on hand. But what could I do to really go over the top? Well, I could use this magic bowl I've had sitting around since the holidays. But that means I'd have to melt soap for the first time.

Oh, it'll be fine.

The ingredients are pretty simple:

1676845472179.png

1. One compressed brick of dehydrated Black Pixie and gelatin
  2. One spare magic Soap Bowl with Slickness +3 and Acid Resistance +5
  3. One 8oz abacus cup
  4. Magic heat wave maker

So, nervously, I chopped up the block:

1676845606388.png

I put the abacus cup into the magic wave heater for 30 seconds on high with absolutely no idea what might happen. Turned out that was a great guess! The blocks were roughly half melted and at that point the liquid soap clearly wasn't going to overfill the too small of melting container. I put it back in for another 30 seconds and ended up with a very viscous fluid, and only a few small chunks remained.

I quickly poured the boiling, burbling black liquid into the magic acid resistant bowl where it steamed maliciously for some time, like it was looking for a victim.

1676846014303.png

As a safety precaution for the castle, I sealed the devilish brew in the cooling chamber for the night.

1676846085217.png

This morning I pulled it out and put it in the shaving locker - it fits perfectly, which was sheepishly satisfying because I didn't think to check that before I started.

1676846299723.png

I tested it and it still works! The microwaving didn't seem to kill it's soapish properties, it performs like it did before. Applying it with a brush is wild - I like it! Feels very kingly and I like I get to use a 2nd brush now, @NomadicDave style.

A little white film is left on the surface after lathering, which honestly I'm fine with. It makes it look less like a bowl of black poison in an assassin's cabinet :)

1676846486030.png

These are the three brushes up for selection as a dedicated preshave brush. An RV with a 22mm Shavemac Finest, an RV with a Muhle 25mm STF or an APShaveCo 24mm Cashmere. We'll give them all a spin and see.

I'm psyched about my grade this term, I think the new bowl of Black Pixie PreShave is going to work well and be a fun part of a stupidly luxurious shaving ritual.

harry potter dance GIF

In fact, I may run and show it to Professor @Chan Eil Whiskers and Professor @thombrogan right now!

Attachments

• 1676845435993.png
    1676845435993.png
    657.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1676844728386.png
    1676844728386.png
    999.8 KB · Views: 2

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
First @APBinNCA accuses me of being a serial killer and a non-American and now @flask28 levels allegations of physical abuse against me. Aaron because I told Simon a steep angle shave is possible and enjoyable with a GEM-style safety razor and Adam because I wash my face.

7E3E6E3F-A610-4451-A2FB-F26A17B3D0E2.jpeg

First @APBinNCA accuses me of being a serial killer and a non-American and now @flask28 levels allegations of physical abuse against me. Aaron because I told Simon a steep angle shave is possible and enjoyable with a GEM-style safety razor and Adam because I wash my face.

View attachment 1608784
Oh no Thom, you are really going to hate me when you see one of my recent comments! I hope you can't find it. 😬
(I thought we were past that little misunderstand, please take some deep breathes, I did actually apologise profusely)

Being accused of being a ‘bot’ ain’t so bad. Just sorry my enthusiasm was a blight on the newsfeed of @lasta
You do understand then that my joke was not aimed at you, but at the fact that his news feed looks like a thumb bot got in and played a joke on him! Hmm, maybe that doesn't make it sound any better... did you happen to do the re-capcha just in case, you might find out something about yourself that you didn't know? Hmm, I need to go wash my feet because I am not enjoying having them in my mouth! :surrender:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Mastering Potions,
Second Year

Flask's Class notes

I've been here over two semesters now and I love Badgerwarts! I'm not so sure about this potions class though, Professor @thombrogan is still shaming me for applying my preshave soap by hand.

I'm determined to get an A in this class and master these arcane preshave rituals. I have a few "second shelf" wands I can dedicate to a preshave soap potion and I even have a burlap sack of preshave soap potions ingredients on hand. But what could I do to really go over the top? Well, I could use this magic bowl I've had sitting around since the holidays. But that means I'd have to melt soap for the first time.

Oh, it'll be fine.

View attachment 1608753

3. One 8oz abacus cup
  4. Magic heat wave maker

View attachment 1608754

I put the abacus cup into the magic wave heater for 30 seconds on high with absolutely no idea what might happen. Turned out that was a great guess! The blocks were roughly half melted and at that point the liquid soap clearly wasn't going to overfill the too small of melting container. I put it back in for another 30 seconds and ended up with a very viscous fluid, and only a few small chunks remained.

I quickly poured the boiling, burbling black liquid into the magic acid resistant bowl where it steamed maliciously for some time, like it was looking for a victim.

View attachment 1608756

As a safety precaution for the castle, I sealed the devilish brew in the cooling chamber for the night.

View attachment 1608757

This morning I pulled it out and put it in the shaving locker - it fits perfectly, which was sheepishly satisfying because I didn't think to check that before I started.

View attachment 1608759

I tested it and it still works! The microwaving didn't seem to kill it's soapish properties, it performs like it did before. Applying it with a brush is wild - I like it! Feels very kingly and I like I get to use a 2nd brush now, @NomadicDave style.

A little white film is left on the surface after lathering, which honestly I'm fine with. It makes it look less like a bowl of black poison in an assassin's cabinet :)

View attachment 1608762

These are the three brushes up for selection as a dedicated preshave brush. An RV with a 22mm Shavemac Finest, an RV with a Muhle 25mm STF or an APShaveCo 24mm Cashmere. We'll give them all a spin and see.

I'm psyched about my grade this term, I think the new bowl of Black Pixie PreShave is going to work well and be a fun part of a stupidly luxurious shaving ritual.

harry potter dance GIF

In fact, I may run and show it to Professor @Chan Eil Whiskers and Professor @thombrogan right now!
Awesome, @flask28 . Your looks better than mine, but I only used the last part in a Tube 2.0 that was no longer accessible. Mine is in a white plastic soap tub with a screw on lid.... But I have one of Captain Choice's soap lockers... that idea would work perfectly in that.

Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Mastering Potions,
Second Year

Flask's Class notes

Oh, it'll be fine.

View attachment 1608753

3. One 8oz abacus cup
  4. Magic heat wave maker

View attachment 1608754

View attachment 1608756

View attachment 1608757

View attachment 1608759

View attachment 1608762

harry potter dance GIF

What a fantastical and entertaining tale! 🤯

Top Bottom