What's new

Flashback: Comparison of Rooney Heritage brushes

How would you compare the various Rooney Heritage brushes: Stubby, Emillion, Victorian, Beehive, and Alibaba (I will leave out the travel brush)? I can get the statistics but in terms of feel, control and ability to create lather. The Stubby is the obvious choice for the face latherer. Which Stubby do you prefer? Is the Stubby 1 too small? Is the Stubby 3 too large? Which of the other models is the best for bowl lathering? Which has the best backbone? I see these brushes (sometimes NOS) and I am curious.

I have owned all but the Emillion. The Beehive (size 1) is an outstanding face latherer, and I prefer it with its 2 band knot to the 3 band Super Stubby 1. Though I would not pass up the Stubby if I ran across one again. The Alibaba 1 is also a nice brush (I had a 2 band) but it was my least favorite of the bunch. The Victorian was excellent, with a large 3 band super knot, and the ideal bowl lathering brush.

Only the Beehive remains in my stable and you will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get it away from me. I do miss the other Rooney Heritage brushes.

I have owned all but the Emillion. The Beehive (size 1) is an outstanding face latherer, and I prefer it with its 2 band knot to the 3 band Super Stubby 1. Though I would not pass up the Stubby if I ran across one again. The Alibaba 1 is also a nice brush (I had a 2 band) but it was my least favorite of the bunch. The Victorian was excellent, with a large 3 band super knot, and the ideal bowl lathering brush.

Only the Beehive remains in my stable and you will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get it away from me. I do miss the other Rooney Heritage brushes.

Just what I was looking for... I would love to hear other folks opinions as well. Of course, it will probably end up lightening up my wallet.

IMO Rooney brushes were better than many of today's top brushes.

I agree and lament the day that Lee Sabini started with the Morris & Forndran brushes. Rooney took a back seat as a brand and went down the tubes.

Yes but the badger hair was better quality. The brushes these days seem really consistently well made, even if the hair is somewhat generic.

The badger hair in the Heritage brushes was a real cut above. The closest I ever got was a Simpson Tulip 2 in two band Super.

Going down memory lane, here is my old Victorian. Look at the bloom on that puppy.

1582767047747.jpeg

Looking back at these, I really regret parting with them. They were as good or better than just about every brush I’ve ever owned.

My beloved stubby 2xL 2 band heritage next to my beloved chubby 1 super for size comparison. My invoice from jim at vintage blades says I purchased it in August 2013.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I still own three, from the Heritage Days, Red Box, Block Letter, Super Badger 3 band. The 2 Bands I have are M&F from Lee Sabini.

I gave away a big, chunky, Chubby 2 Super to a member here, who I hope is still enjoying it.

The ST2 (far right) is my rarest and have yet to even see or here of another. It's a heck of a brush.

IMG_20200228_185906.jpg
IMG_20200228_185955.jpg

e3fc5f8fd48f9348d16e5e81096c780f.jpg

Last edited:
The only Rooney I own is this one and I love it, but sadly it doesn't get the use it should get with having too many brushes.

56.jpg

My current Heritage collection

F482C724-ED5F-4D7A-A44D-352AD8D68284_1_105_c.jpeg

Rooney Emilllion (original 1)
Rooney Heritage Emillion 1
Rooney Heritage Emillion 2
Rooney Heritage Stubby 1
Rooney Heritage Stubby 2
Rooney Heritage Stubby 3
Rooney Heritage Beehive 1
Rooney Heritage Alibaba 2
Rooney Heritage Victorian (2)