SOTD
  • Antica Barbieria Colla
  • No-name deer antler-handle badger brush
  • L2 Flare Tip (Q2 1966)
  • Gillette Nacet (22)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS
Rough shave today - not sure why. The Rub was quite a wake-up! I'm doing the One Blade in February and I've certainly pushed a Nacet further than this, so I'll give it one more chance. I know that the lather and technique were good. If I have similar results tomorrow, I'll pitch this blade in favor of a new one.

Tuesday

Brush: Rooney Stubby 1
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Nivea Sensitive
Cologne / Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic

Mike

IMG_0413.JPG

Welcome!

That porcelain(?) item that holds .....

That porcelain item was "found in the wild" about six years ago. I believe that the original purpose was to hold business cards. The red tip was also found at the same shop six years ago. I went to the shop, which is no longer in buisiness, in early November. The shop was decorating for Christmas. As I entered the shop I noticed a very large older man with a bushy gray beard on a tall ladder putting up the decoration. As I wandered through the shop I noticed a dingy red tip at a bargain price. The lady at the front counter knew me well and offered a 10% discount for both items. She said that the man on the ladder was the person selling the red tip and that he would like to take to me. He was happy to know that I would give his old razor a good home and that he would bring me the plastic case. Santa came early that year. I was amazed at how well the dingy red tip cleaner up.

Wednesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Williams
A/S: Gillette Aftershave Gel, Sensitive Skin
Cologne / Fragrance: Hugo Boss Number One

Mike

That porcelain item was "found in the wild" about six years ago. I believe that the original purpose was to hold business cards. The red tip was also found at the same shop six years ago. I went to the shop, which is no longer in buisiness, in early November. The shop was decorating for Christmas. As I entered the shop I noticed a very large older man with a bushy gray beard on a tall ladder putting up the decoration. As I wandered through the shop I noticed a dingy red tip at a bargain price. The lady at the front counter knew me well and offered a 10% discount for both items. She said that the man on the ladder was the person selling the red tip and that he would like to take to me. He was happy to know that I would give his old razor a good home and that he would bring me the plastic case. Santa came early that year. I was amazed at how well the dingy red tip cleaner up.
Very cool - it's nice when the gear has a story. Thanks for sharing!

Thursday

Soap: Tabac
A/S: Skin Bracer
Cologne / Fragrance: Classic Match Polo Supreme Oud

Mike

SOTD
  • Antica Barbieria Colla
  • L2 Flare Tip (Q2 1966)
  • Gillette Nacet (24)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Burberry AS Emulsion
A better shave today on two days' growth. I'll keep riding this Nacet through the end of the month, then switch to a fresh one for the FFFMM.

Friday

Soap: Tabac
A/S: None
Cologne / Fragrance: Realm Intense

Mike

The Nacet continues to provide good shaves in the Flare Tip. I'm not sure why I had two rough shaves, and then right back to smooth...

SOTD
  • Antica Barbieria Colla
  • L2 Flare Tip (Q2 1966)
  • Gillette Nacet (25)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB

Made it just in time! My flare tip gave me terrible irritation when I first tried it months ago. Broke it out again this week trying different blades. I can tell I’m going to love this razor!

Preshave: Proraso white
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Razor: Red Tip A2 1955
Blade: GSB
A/S: Nivea sensitive

1582934958886.jpeg

Made it just in time! My flare tip gave me terrible irritation when I first tried it months ago. Broke it out again this week trying different blades. I can tell I’m going to love this razor!

Preshave: Proraso white
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Razor: Red Tip A2 1955
Blade: GSB
A/S: Nivea sensitive
Cool! What blade(s) seem to work best for you?

1. FoolishMortal
2. Ron R
3. Stubblebum
4. Rosseforp
5. ftrez
6. sarimento1
7. preidy
8. theid59
9. Mike R
10. Timeclo
11.OldJackd
12. jrtraylor
13. Chevyguy
14. ChrisPL68
15. Altonius

FoolishMortal - I like Personna blue the best in my red tip. However, I don’t have much else to compare to yet. The shave was so smooth with no catching or tugging on my coarse beard. Two pass DFS WTG/Caddie grain.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Flare Tip Friday, February 28
55 Gillette Red Tip A4(Birth Quarter)
Gillette Platinum(3)
Omega 66
PdP 63
the "Veg"

I almost always use a Feather in my Flare Tip's, but this particular Gillette Platinum(3) has been giving me some pretty nice shaves.

The Omega 66 wasn't expensive, but it delivers a nice lather to my face. The knot is just small enough where the brush is soft, but easy to get to tight spots without making a mess.

I went full ATG on the 1st pass. S-N on one long pass from the base of my neck to my sideburns......Still using a steep angle I used enough pressure to keep the blade to my face. I shaved nose to ear under my nose and chin.

The 2nd pass was nose to ear on my face and WTG on my neck. Even with steady pressure it felt pretty comfortable on my neck, but after I rinsed I felt a lot of stubble on my neck, my face was smooth.

The 3rd pass was full ATG on my neck until I couldn't hear of feel it cutting anymore. I splashed on the Witch hazel while my face was still moist and cleaned up my gear.

The "Veg" stung at first and I finished up with Nivea balm. My face is BBS, but the Red Tip doesn't compare in efficiency with Fatip, and there is still stubble on my neck along with some irritation from chasing a BBS.

Still a pretty decent shave for a 64 year old razor....

20200228_214203[1].jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom