What's new

Flannel Shirts

What's your favorite brand of flannel shirts? I've owned a number of brands, J C Penney, J Crew, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Brooks Brothers, Field and Stream and Van Heusen. The last year or so I've gotten several Duluth shirts, and like them the best of all. They're substantial and have nice finishing touches, like a pen pocket inside the shirt pocket. The buttons are also well-made and the fit great.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've a ton of flannels, basically that's my uni during Michigan winters .. I have mostly LL Bean, some Land's End, some others , maybe Cabela's. I like the Bean flannel's as they come in authentic Tartan patterns, rather than some of the others which sometimes look off to me. Bean stuff wears well, I still have a bunch going back decades in my older larger size that I haven't been able to donate, yet. I'll take a look at Duluth, I see there's actually a brick & mortar in the next town up the road, though I am confident I don't need a magnetic placket

Carhartt Hubbard....I probably wouldn't pay the 45 bucks MSRP for them...I recently bought a couple at an outlet for $14.98. I wish I had bought about half a dozen.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Must have features for me in a flannel are no button down collar and no flap or button pockets.
id say polo and j crew.

Minnesota winters are not kind so flannel shirts easily dominate my wardrobe during the cool and cold months. I absolutely hate it when I find a nice looking flannel shirt, wash it once and have the sleeves shrink above my wrists or the body shrinks so my belly is sticking out if I reach above my head. Lesson learned - cheap flannel shirts aren't worth it. The best flannel shirts I've owned are LL Bean, especially the fleece-lined flannel shirts. They are so soft and warm. They're a bit too rich for my blood ($80) so I've picked mine up gently used off Ebay for $20-$30.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Im a big fan of Duluth and Lands' End flannels. Theyre a bit more on the pricey side but they are awesome shirts.
I've not tried Lands End, but do like the Duluth generally.

hate it when I find a nice looking flannel shirt, wash it once and have the sleeves shrink above my wrists or the body shrinks so my belly is sticking out if I reach above my head. Lesson learned - cheap flannel shirts aren't worth it.
They often look nice and feel so soft, but you can just tell one washing and they are going to be crap. For this reason I've left flannel and am SLOWLY starting to build up a stock of Pendelton's. Much nicer, but dearer as well, but they last a long time. I'd rather have 1 $150 dollar shirt that out lasts 10 $15 dollar shirts, and it will look better, wear better and feel better the whole time.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There are alot of cheap flannels out there, they can usually be spotted by the fact that their makers are too lazy to match the plaid up exactly on the pockets, resulting in an odd shoddy look. A Pendleton wool might last a little longer than a quality flannel like LL Bean or Land's End, but I've never had significant shrinkage or premature wear on either of the latter brands. Depends on how you treat it in the wash too - hot water and harsh detergents will wear anything faster .. and don't even think about machine washing a wool shirt.

I've got an old woolen heavy Pendleton that is ok, but having to dry clean it means I don't wear it often.

I've not tried Lands End, but do like the Duluth generally.
Lands' End is much like Duluth. Based in Wisconsin and they make a very similar product. I mean, their 2 offices are about 20 minutes apart. The difference is Duluth designs their stuff more for blue collar people, whereas Lands' End is more white collar.
Id say the quality is the same though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My favorite by far are vintage Pendleton, Woolrich and Filson. All wool and made in USA.

Agreed.

Wool and a work shirt don't go well together for me. Has to be machine washable :)

If I'm doing something where my clothing is going to get very dirty or damaged, I'll wear cheap $h!t and beat the crap out of it and not mind having to toss it when there are too many unfixable holes and paint stains.

I'd rather have 1 $150 dollar shirt that out lasts 10 $15 dollar shirts, and it will look better, wear better and feel better the whole time.

Indeed.

One shirt I've found and enjoy wearing in colder weather is a moleskin shirt I got from Charles Tyrwhitt years ago. (I don't think they currently offer it, but no doubt someone does.) The best way to describe it is a material similar to corduroy that hasn't had the rows shaved into it.

I've got an old woolen heavy Pendleton that is ok, but having to dry clean it means I don't wear it often.

I find that hanging woolen garments and letting them "air out" for a day or two helps a lot with extending their wearability between cleanings. Especially if I'm wearing a t-shirt underneath, and alternating between shirts on a two or three day rotation, unless I spill something on it I can get months out of a woolen shirt.

The miracle of wool.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Pendelton I have can be machine washed in cold water and air dried. I wear a t-shirt underneath, and it's in cool weather so no sweating going on, so I get a lot of use between washings.

And I get that not everyone can go buy a $150 dollar shirt and maybe you are wearing it for hard work and don't want to risk something that expensive. In that case buy something cheaper that lasts. It's just that when I can, I take quality over quantity, so I hope I don't come across as a stuck up snob.

I once knew a girl that worked as a fitness instructor was out to lunch with her and her boyfriend. They were talking about the clothes she used for instruction and the cost. The boyfriend mentioned some cheaper brand. She said, I can't afford them. He looked at her quizzically and she explained how when she started out, she did buy that brand and wore them out at a rate that made them more expensive than the higher priced ones when you factored in their useful life.

I prefer my Pendleton flannel shirts, but as @Chandu mentions, they are too dear for me to risk damaging. I also have a couple of Ralph Lauren Chaps shirts that occupy the middle ground between cheap and fancy (~$50-60).

For work purposes, I buy WindRiver flannel shirts. It's a house brand from Mark's Work Wearhouse, a Canadian workwear chain store. They're affordable ($15-20), well-made, and come in lots of patterns. I also have some Pierre Cardin flannel shirts that were clearance-priced ($7-8, made in Bangladesh, I believe) when Sears Canada went belly-up. They're nice-looking, but cheap enough that I don't mind beating on them.

Top Bottom