What's new

Flake Preparation Method

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Exaggerated fold using a piece of paper. First is flake. Second is flake folded in half lengthwise. Last picture shows it ready to stuff.
View attachment 1092861View attachment 1092862View attachment 1092863
The gap on the bottom picture won’t happen with the tobacco, but it is still loose in the bowl. I have always packed loose, regardless the cut, because it is easier to pack it tighter with the tamper then it is to loose up. I will pack a pipe tonight for real pictures.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Also, every pipe is different which matters if you’re folding and stuffing. Some pipes are a one MacB flake pipe. Some, are one flake but z-folded. Some are 1.5 flakes. You just need to dial it in a bit more if you’re folding and stuffing. Some pipes I tear the ends of the flake off so it will fit, others I don’t, some I Z-fold, some I fold and then put kindling on top, others I don’t.

So, experiment. Don’t back it too full because it will expand. Also, when I fold and stuff, I like to give the top of the bowl a little twist then I load it. It makes the top of the bowl a bit tighter and therefore eAsier to get going and get a good light. Then as you smoke the bowl down, the flake below will expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Also, every pipe is different which matters if you’re folding and stuffing. Some pipes are a one MacB flake pipe. Some, are one flake but z-folded. Some are 1.5 flakes. You just need to dial it in a bit more if you’re folding and stuffing. Some pipes I tear the ends of the flake off so it will fit, others I don’t, some I Z-fold, some I fold and then put kindling on top, others I don’t.

So, experiment. Don’t back it too full because it will expand. Also, when I fold and stuff, I like to give the top of the bowl a little twist then I load it. It makes the top of the bowl a bit tighter and therefore eAsier to get going and get a good light. Then as you smoke the bowl down, the flake below will expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. You quickly get a feel to how many fit in whichever pipe. My MacB flakes are actually half flakes. I cut them in half to better fit into Mason jars.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'm fairly lazy, so I fold 'n' stuff because it's less work than rubbing out or cube cutting. I do it like oc_in_fw, except upside down. I put the closed part of the U at the top. I used to put it at the bottom, but I usually had trouble getting it in the bowl. In my experience, folding the flake causes the tobacco in the bend to spread out, so it won't go in as easy. But at the open end of the U, the tobacco is neat and orderly, and inserts easily into the bowl. Another perk, because I don't jar my tobacco, as the tobacco gets dryer, the flake starts to fray as it bends, and since I put it at the top, I don't need kindling. But I've never heard of anyone else doing it my way. It just works better for me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm fairly lazy, so I fold 'n' stuff because it's less work than rubbing out or cube cutting. I do it like oc_in_fw, except upside down. I put the closed part of the U at the top. I used to put it at the bottom, but I usually had trouble getting it in the bowl. In my experience, folding the flake causes the tobacco in the bend to spread out, so it won't go in as easy. But at the open end of the U, the tobacco is neat and orderly, and inserts easily into the bowl. Another perk, because I don't jar my tobacco, as the tobacco gets dryer, the flake starts to fray as it bends, and since I put it at the top, I don't need kindling. But I've never heard of anyone else doing it my way. It just works better for me.
Go with what works for you. Heck, I may try it.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Ok, stupid Rookie question. Rubbing out, that's like with your fingers crumbling the flake or coin up?

Everybody has their own method, and there are lots of them. My method for a full rub out with a standard size flake it to tear it in half across the flake, then tear those halves in half again so i have quarter-flake length sections, then I'll rub out from there and got to the point where about 80% of the tobacco is separated. So, what I end up with is a slightly chunky pile of tobacco with pieces that are about 1-1.5cm long, and no really large or thick chunks. Then I load that mostly like normal but a little on the side of lightly packed because the flake will expand when you light it (the more in tact the flake is, the more it will expand so pack a whole flake lighter than a rubbed out flake, and pack a rubbed out flake lighter than ribbon).

Top Bottom