What's new

Fixing sandpaper down when lapping stones

LOL Tormek! But honestly if you don't mind the price it can be a great system for tools and knives. I have considered getting one myself.

Yes there is a strong OCD component. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
That ocd is on the spectrum in some cases. I know mine is. Wouldn't have it any other way.
I just use a dry sheet of paper laid on my granite surface plate now. I got the granite surface plate cut down to a few mm smaller than a standard sheet of WD. I also got a small chamber cut into to the edge. This helps me to keep water and slurry from getting onto the plate.

I used to wet the paper to make it stick but I got stick of it curling. The one thing I do that helps is to make sure the sandpaper is flat. I’ll rolling it up so that the edges want to curl down and then store it under a sheet of plate glass and weigh it down.

The benefits are
1. It’s easy to change sheets
2. The sandpaper doesn’t curl and stays flatter
3. One layer of error is removed between the surface plate and the hone
4. You keep your plate cleaner. If it stays dry you know that you haven’t contaminated the surface with slurry or abrasive.

You do have to hold the paper still with one hand though most of the time.
There is a light spray adhesive that screen printers use when printing t-shirts that would be perfect for this and I don't know why I haven't thought of it until now. I think 3m makes some. I think it's just 3m spray adhesive.

That ocd is on the spectrum in some cases. I know mine is. Wouldn't have it any other way.

There is a light spray adhesive that screen printers use when printing t-shirts that would be perfect for this and I don't know why I haven't thought of it until now. I think 3m makes some. I think it's just 3m spray adhesive.
I might try that next time. I have some contact spray adhesive. If you do one surface it just goes a bit tacky. That’s probably all that we need it to do. Two surfaces and it sticks like buggery.

Steel cookie sheet from the dollar store, $1.

Wet the sheet and stick the paper to the sheet.

You can also use the cookie sheet to lap with Silicone Carbide powder, it will not dish like glass or marble, and it will contain the mess.

For water stones and soft naturals, buy a 140 grit diamond plate $35 Chef Knives to Go.

I place a sheet of wet/dry sandpaper on a flat piece of marble. I used to tape the sandpaper down with electrical tape. Now I just hold the sandpaper with my left hand and the stone with my right hand. Seems to work fine.

3m also makes a product called 'feathering disk adhesive' that allows a person to replace the sand paper, often without adding adhesive. I've never tried it for what we're talking about, but I use it on my 9" disk grinder and just thought of it.:pipe:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
3m also makes a product called 'feathering disk adhesive' that allows a person to replace the sand paper, often without adding adhesive. I've never tried it for what we're talking about, but I use it on my 9" disk grinder and just thought of it.:pipe:
Nice. I will have to have a look for that. I don't suppose you have an amazon link handy? Doesn't leave residue on the plate?
<EDIT> I just ordered some other stuff, made for sticking paint stencils for easy removal and re-use. I found the 3M stuff, costs a bit more but looks like good stuff.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It does, which is what sticks the next sheet down, and if you need more adhesive the new application solves the residue so it's easy to deal with. I haven't needed to ever get down to a clean plate, but my guess is that acetone would get you there in a jiffy.
Ok I usually spray the sandpaper, not the plate.

Top Bottom