What's new

Fixing bent and frayed hairs in a synthetic brush

I got the Razorock Plissoft a few weeks ago and it is a very soft brush with a great barber pole handle. But some of the hairs have already bent and gotten frayed. Is there a way to reshape them back to normal? Thank you.

I think I would just snip them at the base of the knot. If it is a matter of a few hairs, they won't be missed.

Really really hot water is reported to cause bent bristles on synthetic brushes if the brush is rested on the bristles in a shaving mug.
Maybe super hot water will soften them so you can straighten them...

Ps: I've never heard any other reports of frayed bristles on any synthetic brush. What do you mean by frayed ? Are the tips splitting ?

I'd get in touch with Joe the owner of Italian Barber and distributor of the RR plissoft brush. He may have some recommendations. Their customer service has always been top notch.

I'd get in touch with Joe the owner of Italian Barber and distributor of the RR plissoft brush. He may have some recommendations. Their customer service has always been top notch.

Hello! I have the same problem as you, some of my Plissoft's hair are splitting bending aswell in the center... and i dont know how to fix it, do you got in touch with Joe ? Thanks!

If you like an exfoliating feel - then silvertip badgers and plisson type synthetics are a bad choice. Getting something with more backbone will provide a scrubbier feel, and will hold up to heavier pressure without damage. (I ruined several silvertips until I figured this out).

My recommendation would be to try a boar brush from omega or semogue, or a synthetic from Muhle or whipped dog. Both of those options will probably fit your needs well.

The boars take a month to break in (before that, they have prickly tips), but afterwards work better than the synthetics with backbone in my opinion. The synthetics with backbone are somewhat "springy" so splaying the brush (so it forms a circle on your cheek) is less natural / easy to do. But the synthetics make great lather, with less soap (faster) - so it's just what you prefer.

I've had my Plissoft since the end of November and haven't had any problems. All the hairs are perfectly straight and I don't see any abnormalities to it at all. You might be pressing it too hard or exposing it to water that is too hot.

I got the Razorock Plissoft a few weeks ago and it is a very soft brush with a great barber pole handle. But some of the hairs have already bent and gotten frayed. Is there a way to reshape them back to normal? Thank you.

Hello! I have the same problem as you, some of my Plissoft's hair are splitting bending aswell in the center... and i dont know how to fix it, do you got in touch with Joe ? Thanks!

Pictures of what is happening would greatly help to both diagnose your problem and help any people in the future.

I have been using a Plissoft since mid November for every shave plus test lathers etc. I have not frayed a single hair or had them bent. I do not used very hot water or a lot of pressure.

I usually press hard enough to where it forms a circle on my face (don't know the name of that). I'm not using light pressure. It's enough to where I feel I'm exfoliating the skin.

That there is your problem.

Also, you really aren't exfoliating the skin by doing this. You'd have better luck using a scrubby face towel. The idea of a brush exfoliating the skin is another myth of the forums.

Top Bottom