What's new

Fixing a keyfob for a '97 BMW 740i

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Every time I see an update in this thread I figure, “We’ll this has got to be it.”

Hope to be reading updates for many years to come. I just bought my wife the world’s cheapest car since she gave hers to our daughter for he summer.

My daughter is also using Mrs. Gold’s car this summer. Now my wife drives to work in a cheap car too. (I give her a ride.)

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I just started looking at this thread. Great job on the maintenance!

We too have an older BMW (E46 3 Series). I have been declared it's personal mechanic by SWMBO. If we had to take it into the shop for every repair we'd be broke, or it would be gone.

I recently R&R'd the whole cooling system...

Out with the old...
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 6.36.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 6.36.50 PM.png

In with the new...
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 6.37.08 PM.png

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You're lucky it's an older beemer. A friend at work has been working on a cooling issue for her fairly new BMW for over two years. They made them ridiculously overcomplicated recently.

Nice clean install!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
You're lucky it's an older beemer. A friend at work has been working on a cooling issue for her fairly new BMW for over two years. They made them ridiculously overcomplicated recently.

Nice clean install!

Thanks. I spent 4 years restoring an E24 M6 so I learned my way around the old Bimmers. They're really not that complicated from a repair standpoint. My advice to friends that ask me about buying a new BMW is a resounding "No!". Lease it, sure, but when they go wrong out of warranty they are deadly expensive to fix.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Nicely done. You are head and shoulders above my mechanical capabilities. That repair is more then I could take on. @shavefan

Feel free to post any repairs/upgrades here.

Thanks. I spent 4 years restoring an E24 M6 so I learned my way around the old Bimmers. They're really not that complicated from a repair standpoint. My advice to friends that ask me about buying a new BMW is a resounding "No!". Lease it, sure, but when they go wrong out of warranty they are deadly expensive to fix.
I’m driving a 2013 BMW 740i, my 2000 740 was a much better handling car. The AC stopped working last year, dealer charged $2,500 to replace condenser, fourtunely it’s a CPO and I did not have to pay.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Nicely done. You are head and shoulders above my mechanical capabilities. That repair is more then I could take on. @shavefan

Feel free to post any repairs/upgrades here.

Thanks Bob. Truth is I'm just a humble weekend hack, but I love to tinker on all things mechanical. Looks like there is a minor valve cover gasket leak so when I get around to that I'll post up some pics.

I did replace the fan blower resistor a couple weekends ago. A very fiddly job underneath the dashboard. No pics, I was too busy making up choice swear words... :001_07:

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks for the kind words gents,

That car gets more attention when it's out than any other I've ever driven. From all age groups too. I've had notes left on the windshield... "cool car!" (who does that?). A conversation always strikes up at gas stations. The funniest was when I was at a car show, they had me park right next to a brand new black 650i. The whole day the crowd was interested in my car, asking questions, taking pictures, selfies, etc. The 650 owner next to me did not look happy. Hardly anyone was interested in his. Point is, the E24 resonates for sure, even in modern times.

BTW, @johnniegold 's E38 is a beauty too in my book.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Next repair: The Fan Clutch.

Easy enough (with the right tools)

I was hearing a whirring/winding sound when A/C was on. A little research revealed a fan clutch problem. So off to Amazon and a few days later...

9CA0974F-1E69-436D-BEC5-5C7DB10CE81D.jpeg
64C71135-8CF3-4DD6-9F04-3E85F283DA6F.jpeg

This is the fan clutch found behind the radiator and attached to the water pump pulley.

04282D7E-D75C-4388-B147-72B520F7DD0D.jpeg
C9C66D23-2EE5-447E-A794-0A235C7795EF.jpeg
6ACF6A11-467E-43E4-8615-E151123D0D59.jpeg
52A69C01-5724-4C17-BBE9-DD7C9AC4021F.jpeg

Putting fan back into the car...
8376735F-57B9-4256-BD8F-145C3681D14E.jpeg

.... and we continue on down the road. (214,000 miles). :scooter:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Next repair: The Fan Clutch.

Easy enough (with the right tools)

I was hearing a whirring/winding sound when A/C was on. A little research revealed a fan clutch problem. So off to Amazon and a few days later...

View attachment 898464 View attachment 898465

This is the fan clutch found behind the radiator and attached to the water pump pulley.

View attachment 898466 View attachment 898467 View attachment 898468 View attachment 898469

Putting fan back into the car...
View attachment 898470

.... and we continue on down the road. (214,000 miles). :scooter:

That's a great DIY project. Satisfying to do yourself and money saved as a bonus! :a14:

Top Bottom