What's new

Fixed vs Variable adjustables

I like the idea of having the easily-changed settings. The Slim has been working fine at 3 for the first pass and 2 for the second and touch-up. But that's normally when I have 24 or 36 hours of beard. On the occasions when I have 48, I suspect I might need to start a bit higher. Though I haven't experimented with that much, since I rarely have a 48-hour growth.

You can do the same with the Rockwell, but dismantle it in the middle of the shave, and handle a sharp blade with your slick hands, is not my idea of a safe thing to do.

I'm mostly a "leave it set" kinda guy once I find the optimal setting. But never say never! There might come a time when I like to try new things. Many shavers have excellent results from changing settings for each pass (both down and up). Paul H., one of the most famous wetshavers on YouTube frequently does this when using adjustables, and has excellent results. If you ever do decide to swap plates out mid-shave, just for the record, you don't necessarily handle the blade at all if the top cap is upside down in your palm when you take the plate off and put a new one on.

Well, I am in the minority here, but I have three adjustable razors and change the setting during the shave - usually a higher setting during my WTG and XTG passes, then dialed down for my ATG pass.

For me, I have less irritation on my neck, and am able to buff.

YMMV. BTW, I really like the Parker Variant.

I used to think adjustable razors were gimmicks. But I've changed on that. I have about 10 of 'em, all the usual suspects, American and German, and DE and SE. I've never met an adjustable razor that I didn't LOVE. I now consider the adjustable razor as a profound technological advance. BTW I'm a "set it and leave it guy."

Top Bottom