What's new

Fixed Four Any Month (FFAM)

I am starting this thread for @Crazy Chester and to respect @Cal 's FFFMM thread.

This thread in no way replaces the FFFMM thread found here. That is an annual thread. This thread can be used for any time you choose a month to reel in your spending or just want to concentrate on one of your rotations for a bit. This thread can be used in association with the monthly GRUMEs. Whatever you want to do.

Rules Below

1. Do you want to play a shaving game?

2. Do you want to dial in a particular piece of hardware or software?

3. Are you on a restraint?

If you answered YES to any of the above, “Fixed Four” may be for you.

IT’S SIMPLE (Rule 1)

You just pick one BRUSH, one LATHER (soap, cream, stick, etc.), one RAZOR, and one BLADE*.
And you use ONLY those four for the whole month.

*With blades, if you chose an “Astra SP” you would stick to that blade, but use as many of them as you see fit.

That’s the end of Rule 1. Rule 1 is the only rule

Proposed Fixed Four:
IMG_0093.jpeg

Razor: ATT SE1 (Aluminum)
Blade: Schick Proline P-30
Brush: Yaqi 22mm Synthetic
Lather: Proraso Red

Pre and Post Shave stuff isn’t included, so you can do exactly as you please in that area.

You can shave as often or as little as you like.

Typically you’d post saying “I’m in” and telling us your Fixed Four, but you don’t need to.

You can post every day to tell us how you’re getting on (we like that, and we like pics). You can also join us Fixed Fourers without making a single post (it’s entirely YOUR CHOICE).

Open to all types of shavers - DE, SE, Carts, etc. If you have those four components of your shave then you can join.

Other caveats: I won't be calling people in or out of the FFAM. You will need to grade yourself. This is an exercise in the self-discipline of shaving gear. I will say that by the end of Cal's FFFMM, I felt good about sticking to it. You probably will too.

Enjoy yourself!

P.S. I will not be participating in a FFAM for June 2020.

I am in a June GRUME but I would like to experiment with different soaps that I have. I also want to compare my aluminum to stainless steel SE1 razors.

I might do a fixed 1. I’ve only got two razors and two brushes, and I’m over doing blade rotations or testing. Soaps and creams are the issue, so I might choose one of my less loved ones and go with it all month.

Thinking I might go with Derby Normal.

I like the idea... Just pick a setup for the month and go for it. The only issue I have is with the "lather" restriction. I usually load soap from a puck or tub, but I use a small travel-size tube of shaving cream when I travel. I could easily make the adjustment and grate my soap of the month and use it as a stick. I don't always have a lot of notice regarding travel requirements, so choosing a soap stick at the beginning of the month would probably eliminate me from several attempts.

Last edited:
I just used the Derby cream. Fantastic stuff and completely underrated.

I guess I’ll be using:

Baili BD176
Generic two band badger (VIGSHAVING knot)
Rockwell blades
Derby Normal shaving cream

Then I guess I’m in. I scoop out the MWF and press it into the bottom of my bowl. I then load my brush with TOBS and begin layering on top of the MWF.

The rest of my setup is:
Rockwell 6S
BIC Chrome Platinum
Proraso Preshave
Edwin Jagger Super Badger
Gentleman Jim’s Alum Block
Nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin
CeraVe AM moisturizing lotion
Kouros EDT

This should be easy since that has been my setup for the last week.

I’m still in. I shaved this morning with the setup below only changing to a new BIC blade.

Rockwell 6S
BIC Chrome Platinum
Proraso Preshave
Edwin Jagger Super Badger
Gentleman Jim’s Alum Block
Nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin
CeraVe AM moisturizing lotion
Kouros EDT

I'm in next month. I am finishing a stick of La Toja and moving on to a cream next. I wish I had finished the stick May 31st, but... I almost exclusively use a 34C with Astra SP. I do vary my brush a bit, but I can limit it to one for a month. So:
34C
Astra SP
Made Rite lucite handle with a 22mm TGN 2 band
ABB Principe Real cream
Already looking forward to it!

I am in starting 1 July:

Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Astra SP
Soap Van der Hagen (distilled water)

Does a matching seven-day set of SR's count as 1 razor/blade combination?

I'm not familiar enough with SR's to say. If it is possible to use one without damaging it then that would probably be ideal. I don't know if a seven-day set is more for convenience or what.

Hi,

I am back to my Fixed Four all the time, so I guess I'm in.

I had been swapping back and forth between my Fasan Double Slant and an ATT S2. The S2 is now in the drawer to be part of my 7-day OC set for October. When we play all Open Combs for the month.

So, the Fasan Double Slant it is.

Personna Med Prep blades, two for the entire month. I change on the 1st an 16th each month.

Oster vintage tallow soap mixed with Carden Farms modern glycerine. This is half and half in an Old Spice mug and my usual. This passes muster as a single soap during FFFMM, so is OK here unless the Boss doesn't like a fixed mix. :)

Vie Long horsehair brush (50/50 mane to tail hair) which I have been using since January 2014.

Stan

I will join in July. This month is about killing off soap and cream leftovers. Cleaning up the stables, as it were. I wouldn't have had enough of a single product for the whole month.

Top Bottom