What's new

Fixed blade hunting knives

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This may have a thread of its own, but I didn't see one scrolling through the first page of this submarine forum. Thought I'd put this up to go along with the What Pocket Knife Do You Carry.

Dad's old 5" Western hunting knife. It's been stored in my cedar chest in the sheath (I know, sheath is not good for storing) for decades and I need to clean it up some. I think it is probably from the '60s...I remember playing with it as a kid. That thing will still shave the hair on your arm.

Blade is stamped:

WESTERN
BOULDER, COLO.
USA

DSC_0011 (2).JPG

Don't have it here with me, but I'm a Kabar guy. Good enough for the US Army and Marine Corps, good enough for me.

This may have a thread of its own, but I didn't see one scrolling through the first page of this submarine forum. Thought I'd put this up to go along with the What Pocket Knife Do You Carry.

Dad's old 5" Western hunting knife. It's been stored in my cedar chest in the sheath (I know, sheath is not good for storing) for decades and I need to clean it up some. I think it is probably from the '60s...I remember playing with it as a kid. That thing will still shave the hair on your arm.

Blade is stamped:

WESTERN
BOULDER, COLO.
USA

View attachment 990607
I picked up a Western in the mid 70s, straight back, othwise same as yours. Never had the urge to replace it. Takes a wicked edge quick and easy, holds it through an elk, or couple deer.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Blade is stamped:

WESTERN
BOULDER, COLO.
USA

View attachment 990607

Classic beauty! Notice the oak leaves on the sheath ...

AA

Legion

Staff member
Don't have it here with me, but I'm a Kabar guy. Good enough for the US Army and Marine Corps, good enough for me.
I have one as well, and I like it as a general camp knife, but they are not great as a hunting knife. The sharpened clip point and long straight edge is good for stabbing stuff, splitting wood, etc, but not for dressing animals.

My go to hunting knife was my forged knife from ML knives. Simple, tough. Has a bit of a patina, because I loaned in to a clown who used it on about twenty roos one night, and didn't clean the blood off, but it still works fine after a honing.

P1000106.jpg

Last edited:
Agree. They are both meaningful and mean!

AA
Yep. Thank you.

I have one as well, and I like it as a general camp knife, but they are not great as a hunting knife. The sharpened clip point and long straight edge is good for stabbing stuff, splitting wood, etc, but not for dressing animals.

My go to hunting knife was my forged knife from ML knives. Simple, tough. Has a bit of a patina, because I loaned in to a clown who used it on about twenty roos one night, and didn't clean the blood off, but it still works fine after a honing.

View attachment 991352
True, but I use it more for squirrels and rabbits. Little easier to field dress, just need a hammer, nails, and a tree to help out.

9CD01602-108D-4B81-888D-13A9A6BAF13A.png
Standard carry in the woods for me is a Grohmann Canadian Army “Jump” knife. Keeps an amazing edge, super durable, and small enough that it doesn’t get in the way when tromping through the bush.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
A few I've carried and used over the decades:

A Case and a Richter:
proxy.php

Two Kabars and a 225Q (maybe my favorite field knife):
proxy.php

An Anza camp knife made from a file:
proxy.php

and a Bowie:
proxy.php

An old Russell Skinner: