What's new

Five Rapira Blades - reviewed

I've found the opposite to be true of Voskhod blades: I get a better shave with my more aggressive razor than with my less aggressive one.

$rapirawt.jpg

RAPIRA - Super Stainless

ATT H2 and R2 base plates, Red Tip, Gillette New

Shave #1
Not knowing what to expect, I used an ATT razor with an H2 base plate. Maybe not the best choice. An okay shave, aside from a little roughness on the jaw, and noticeable stubble on the throat. And the fact that the blade doesn’t seem very sharp.

On the first shave, the SuperSteel and Super Stainless Chrome at least provided a non-resistant ATG shave on the mustache; no such luck on with the regular Super Stainless. I guessed that, with a blade like this, a better option would be to use a mild plate (or adjustable at a low setting; or a solid bar razor).

Looking at the blade alone, you wouldn’t expect that much difference between the Rapira Super Stainless Chrome and Super Stainless regular. But the latter is clearly not as sharp.

Tomorrow, I’m going to try something different.

Shave #2
This Rapira isn’t going to magically change into a different blade. So I decided to change razors. To a Red Tip.

I think it worked. I’m not promising miracles, but switching from a open comb to solid bar razor did the trick for me. (Actually, the key was probably to aim for a milder razor.) The shave wasn’t as close as before, but it was smoother. My chin still wasn’t as close as I wanted, and there was still light stubble here and there. But I got a passable DFS shave - and a lesson: there’s something to be said about complementarity between a blade and razor..

Shave #3
Instead of using the solid bar Red Tip razor, i used a Gillette New this time.

It took a little more pressure than before. Mild razors always seem to require a little more work for a good shave. There was slight soreness, especially on my lip. But I ended up with an very good DFS shave - though my neck could have been smoother (as usual).

In other words, using a milder razor with a less-than-sharp blade is a good combination. The blade may be losing some sharpness, but it still provides enough edge for a good shave.

Shave #4
A mostly smooth shave, though then neck could be smoother. I used an ATT razor with an R2 plate - a nice combination of closeness and comfort. A small nick, and the mustache - as always - isn’t completely smooth with this blade

Shave #5
Another smooth shave, though it’s a little harder to squeeze out a really good shave. I use a little extra pressure, particularly on the mustache - which leads to a couple of small nicks.

I’m actually surprised the blade lasted this long, but I draw the line at blood.

The Rapira Super Stainless (non-chrome) is up to the Rapira standard, but should probably be reserved for mild razors - particularly with the first shave. You can get them at a budget price online: $10.40 for 100 from a reliable source. On eBay, I saw 200 for 14.00.

This blade has made me reevaluate the idea of blade/razor compatibility. So far, “YMMV” is the only explanation that makes total sense.

$Ladas.jpg

LADAS

ATT R2 base plate

Shave #1
I used an ATT with a mild R2 plate, and the shave was quite close. No nicks or cuts.

As with some other Rapira factory blades, like the Swedish Super Steel and Chrome, shaving the mustache took two passes and some care, but the overall quality of the shave was outstanding - even the neck. Slight resistance XTG.

Shave #2
This shave is nearly identical to the first, though the mustache was a little more difficult.

Shave #3
Same as #2.

Shave #4
In order to get the same quality of shave - which is very good - I have to apply extra pressure. Especially to the chin and mustache, where I got a few small weepers. I’ll try again, but I won’t try to force a good shave from this blade anymore.

Shave #5
I took time with this shave. While it took a little more time, I ended up with a DFS shave that was comfortable and bloodless. Zero pressure, and patience.

When I stretched out my chin skin, it was clearly not as well shaved as expected.

My mustache wasn’t entirely clean; the surface of my mustache was slightly raised, as if irritated. I just continued to shave the mustache WTG and ATG until I got the results I wanted. That said, it wasn’t as perfectly smooth as, say, the first days using a Feather blade.

Shave #6
This cycle of shaves is an object lesson that using a milder blade makes your blade last significantly longer. It’s probably not news for veteran shavers, but it’s very telling.

Ladas probably isn’t considered to be a primo blade - even in the Rapira factory - but I was still able to get six plus shaves. The issue is the mustache; it pulled, even from the start.

But this set of shaves demonstrated the importance of matching razor and blade. An ATT with the mild R2 base plate gave me an agreeable mix of smoothness and aggression.

These blades are thought, by some, to be an lesser branch of the Rapira family - but (as with other blades) the quality of your shave is razor dependent. If your razor is mild (like an ATT with an R2 plate), it’s a pleasing blade.

By around the fourth or fifth shave, the initial sharpness is gone, but you can still get satisfactory shaves with a little effort. It’s a good blade; but if the price is close to a Rapira Lux, I’ll pick the latter every time.

The price online is the same as other blades in the same factory - as low as $10 for 100 blades.

I'll throw in my 2 cents with a hearty approval of Rapira Sharp-Star blades.This is a very smooth 6 shave blade,wish I had bought more.

Attachments

• $IMG_0007.jpg
    $IMG_0007.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 448
  • $IMG_0005.jpg
    $IMG_0005.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 446
  • $IMG_0004.jpg
    $IMG_0004.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 447
RAPIRA BLADES, RATED BY PREFERENCE
Rapira blades are medium sharp. They work best with a razor that’s mild or only moderately aggressive. They can be fairly long-lasting blades - especially if you’re using a mild razor. Try pushing them beyond a few days, and you may be surprised; I wouldn’t push a Voshkod, however.

Rapira blades are, by and large, very good to outstanding. The value, especially through eBay, can be amazing - especially in quantities of 100.

I urge you to try a variety of blades, and draw your own conclusions. (As always, YMMV.) These aren’t blinded trials. That said, I’d be willing to bet that my results are fairly close to what other shavers have experienced.

THE BEST RAPIRA?
Rapira Platinum Lux: Like other top Rapira blades, this works best with a razor that’s mild or only moderately aggressive - but with a Lux, you can use an aggressive razor, too. A very winning combination of sharpness and smoothness, and the price is exceptional (around $10.40 per 100, shipped). Similar in sharpness, smoothness, and longevity to a GSB - but half the price.

THE RUNNERS-UP?
(These blades are roughly equal in quality, but I’ve listed them by personal preference.)
Rapira Swedish Supersteel: The Supersteel lasts a little longer than the Super Stainless - as long as six shaves - though it pulls a little even after the first shave. eBay may have the best price: as little as $9.20 for 100 blades, shipped.

Ladas: You’ll find competing evaluations on this blade, though some way that the latest iteration of the blade is only average. The price is around $11.00 for 100 blades online; if you use a mild razor, your results will be better. About the same as the Rapira Super Stainless Chrome.

Voshkod: The Voshkod has its fans, but I find it to be a more workmanlike blade…but $10 for 100 blades is a hard deal to beat. This blade works best with mild razors; toss the blade after three, four uses.

Rapira Super Stainless Chrome: a relative bargain (about $11 for 100 blades, shipped) that compares favorably with an Astra. It’s best on shaves 1 to 3, though 5 is still decent. The blade loses its edge a little earlier than I’d have expected.

Rapira Super Stainless: What’s the difference between the Rapira Super Stainless and Super Stainless Chrome? The blades themselves look identical - but the Super Stainless plain may not win any sharpness or smoothness awards. It’s still dirt-cheap ($10.40 for 100 blades). Use a mild razor, and toss the blade after four or so shaves.

Interesting summary. I didn't agree with some of your observations and I haven't tried the Ladas, but other than that I totally share your relative ranking of them. Plat Lux>Swedish SS>V>S Chrome >S Stainless

I have used pretty much all the Rapira blades and IMO they are good utilitarian blades. Are they top tier? On the whole no. Money spent on these would be better spent on a blade a notch up IMO.

I have used pretty much all the Rapira blades and IMO they are good utilitarian blades. Are they top tier? On the whole no. Money spent on these would be better spent on a blade a notch up IMO.

I must agree. The Rapira Platinum Lux is a really good bargain, with performance on par with a GSB-lite; I got 200 for $17.60. But other Rapira factory blades are a little average, though decent.

I must agree. The Rapira Platinum Lux is a really good bargain, with performance on par with a GSB-lite; I got 200 for $17.60. But other Rapira factory blades are a little average, though decent.

I've had 4 great shaves with the Rapira Platinum Lux. Glad I bought a 100 of them. I recommend this blade (YMMV).

I'm using the Platinum Lux in a ATT R2 razor. It's a very good match for me. I get the same, about 4 BBS shaves.

According to one online source, Rapira Swedish Supersteel and Rapira Super Stainless are the same blade - just different packaging. However, the Rapira Platinum Lux is coated the teflon and platinum - which accounts for its added smoothness.

What I can't figure is how they can sell these blades at such a low price. They're a steal.

Last edited:
According to one online source, Rapira Swedish Supersteel and Rapira Super Stainless are the same blade - just different packaging. However, the Rapira Platinum Lux is coated the teflon and platinum - which accounts for its added smoothness.

What I can't figure is how they can sell these blades at such a low price. They're a steal.

Thank you again for the effort and analysis that went into this thread. You steered me towards my two current fav blades: GSB and Personna prep. Based on your results here, I ordered a sampler of the Rapira Platinum Lux.

Spot on reviews here!...I totally agree. I also agree that there are horses for courses and blades that suit certain razors and faces. That said, I reckon Rapira Platinum Lux and Swedish Super Steel are among my most favorite. Actually I think for me, The Swedish Super Steel is just right. I do find these two require more attention to technique in my Gillette E1 Fat Boy though. I can still 'smoke' my skin if I come in too steep (which my Fat Boy allows). Both are SENSATIONAL in my Merkur 34 C HD.

Last edited:
I tried out the Rapira Supersteel a few days ago. My usual blade is Derby or Dorco. I thought the Supersteel was much better than shaving with a Feather, yet it was more on that side of the sharpness/smoothness spectrum than my usual Derby blades. And I like them better than the Crystals, which were wickedly sharp and not particularly smooth.

Did you ever try the Sputnik blades? Just wondered where they fit/fall into the mix of these Russian blades.

The Sputnik is a very cool blade, design-wise - a totally decent offering: fairly sharp, smooth. Not dissimilar to a Rapira Supersteel, though it might be good to try out before making a judgement.

Top Bottom