What's new

Fish Sauce! (Nuoc Mam)

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Started some Fathers Day Chinese spare ribs this afternoon and discovered that I was perilously low on Hoisin! So off to our local asian market I go, and guess what's on the end cap of one of the isles?

Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 4.14.55 PM.png

Figured it was some sort of sign from above so I bought a bottle. I'm interested to try it again as last time was 2-3 years ago

Hmm... we have three big asian supermarkets not far from here, and there are dozens of types of fish sauce. I had no clue, so I just picked one randomly (Sunlee brand). This thread has me curious now.

I doubt I could tell much difference in curries and such, since there's not a lot in there, but you guys make me want to check out some Red Boat. The thing is, it takes me a few years to go through a bottle so I hate to buy more!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Hmm... we have three big asian supermarkets not far from here, and there are dozens of types of fish sauce. I had no clue, so I just picked one randomly (Sunlee brand). This thread has me curious now.

I doubt I could tell much difference in curries and such, since there's not a lot in there, but you guys make me want to check out some Red Boat. The thing is, it takes me a few years to go through a bottle so I hate to buy more!

Lol! Tell me about it, my 3 Crab bottle is at least a year old and still 1/3 full...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've had one for ten years. My wife keeps asking if it goes bad, and I say how can you tell?

I put nuoc mam in pretty much everything (Viet ex-wife). I generally keep that information to myself when cooking for my family. Have been using the 3 crabs (Viet Huong) sauce for decades but perhaps time for a change.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That's the article I read after using 3 Crab for years. I thought "man, 3 Crab is the pits, I better upgrade". I bought some 40°N at a local asian market and I honestly couldnt tell much difference. Now I wasn't sipping them like a single malts, but in sauces/dips I really couldn't tell much difference. And the bottle I have doesn't have the nasty smell they mention. Weird.

View attachment 891007

I have 3 Crab also. It's what was recommended from a local Asian market that my dad used to frequent. He said that it was better than the fish sauce that he used to try while fighting in Vietnam.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Started some Fathers Day Chinese spare ribs this afternoon and discovered that I was perilously low on Hoisin! So off to our local asian market I go, and guess what's on the end cap of one of the isles?

View attachment 891041
Figured it was some sort of sign from above so I bought a bottle. I'm interested to try it again as last time was 2-3 years ago

Nice! I wouldn't be afraid to douse ribs in it ... at least once.

AA

Generally speaking I trust my Viet ex over two guys named Kyle and Jamie when it comes to fish sauce but perhaps she just hasn't thought to inform me about the Red Boat phenomenon. The review has me curious enough to pick up a bottle.
I have 3 Crab also. It's what was recommended from a local Asian market that my dad used to frequent. He said that it was better than the fish sauce that he used to try while fighting in Vietnam.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Generally speaking I trust my Viet ex over two guys named Kyle and Jamie when it comes to fish sauce but perhaps she just hasn't thought to inform me about the Red Boat phenomenon. The review has me curious enough to pick up a bottle.
You have to keep an eye on that Kyle guy. :lol:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Fish sauce-scented soap? :001_005:

Hmmmm. No. :18:

Well. Maybe for that annual Williams challenge thing ...

AA

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
There was a bottle of Nuoc Mam in the pantry for a couple of years. It belonged to my son and he took it when he FINALLY moved out. I started to try it several times but couldn’t get past the smell. I’ll have to buy a bottle now. The very best Nuoc Mam is said to come from a Thai island. Can’t recall the name though. Nuoc is Vietnamese for “water” and mam is “I have”. Go figure. Knowing how it is made also put me off a bit.

Top Bottom