What's new

First World Problem

So, my wife and I finally retired 2 of our 3 cars. We got years of service from both a 1998 Dodge Dakota, and a 2005 Subaru Impreza, combined mileage of 220,000. We still have our 2000 Suburban, with 237,000 miles. So to the point, we replaced both vehicles with 2015’s. Both have the push button start and you have to carry the FOB. So to folks here that have solved this problem, do you carry both, or one at a time, and do you shove them in your pocket? What is the best way to carry. Doing a search yielded little result. So any tips or cool ways to carry these things? First World Problem:)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Unless I expect to need something more in the near future, I only carry a fob for what I'm driving. The spare lives in a little box with other spare keys.

Unless I expect to need something more in the near future, I only carry a fob for what I'm driving. The spare lives in a little box with other spare keys.
Ditto. I'm a minimalist WRT keys and wallet stuff. If I need it regularly, I have it with me. If not, it's accessible.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My wife's kia is push button start. One fob lives deep in the bowels of her purse, the other floats between a diaper bag and whatever is at the end of theoretical wormholes. Most of the time when I need to take something out to her car it involves carrying a purse with me.

:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:
My wife's kia is push button start. One fob lives deep in the bowels of her purse, the other floats between a diaper bag and whatever is at the end of theoretical wormholes. Most of the time when I need to take something out to her car it involves carrying a purse with me.
You just described my life!:yesnod:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Lol. I have had times I've flown and packed my keys in a carry on. I get in the car and drive home with no problems. I get to the door and freak out when I reach in my pocket and the keys aren't there!

Guess I will throw this out there:)
371A3917-D70C-4614-974B-4004B4522F6B.jpeg

I am

I recently got a car with a push button start, my first with that feature. Replacing one of the fobs can be quite expensive, so you NEVER want to lose one. When I go out, the keys go in my pocket and never come out until I get back home. Occasionally, I will misplace my keys around the house since I do not have a consistent place to leave them (I know, I need to have a better system). I have a Samsung SmartThings hub to control lights, etc. around my home, so I purchased a SmartThings presence sensor for my key ring. If I misplace the keys, I can go to my cell phone and have SmaratThings activate a beeper in the sensor to help me locate the keys. Even though I can start the car and open the car doors with the remote control feature on my cell phone, you cannot put the car in gear unless the fob is present.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You mean carrying both as in both keys for the same car? The spare key too.

Or both as in one for each car?

Let’s talk about #1. The spare FOB is in a dresser drawer. I never carry it or think about it. Only needed it once when I couldn’t find the FOB I use all the time. The FOB I use daily is ALWAYS hung on the key rack when I’m home (cept that one time). When I’m out I just shove it in my pocket when I’m not in the car. In the car it sits in the lil cubby hole. My car also has a keypad for entry with a 4 digit pin. I guess I could just leave the key in the car all the time. But that still doesn’t seem right. Even though I know I know I can get back in.

As for #2. Why? Why carry a FOB for a car you ain’t driving?

I have fobs for my bike. I treat them like keys. I grab the car key when I drive, and I grab the bike's fob when I ride. Both have spares that hang on nails in the little laundry room that leads to the garage. I never take a vehicle with both of its "keys" on me. There is always one at home.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Guess I will throw this out there:)View attachment 908712

I am

I do! I do! One for the ignition and one for the doors and trunk. SWMBO has the fob thing and a push button starter by the shifter...auto transmission though. Thank you very much, but I'll keep my keys. I wonder what would happen to the fob if it got dropped into a puddle of water.

Anyone remember these? A better Millennial Anti-Theft devise than a stick shift. Granddad's old '46 or '48 truck had one, along with three on the tree.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hilarious
i never think of taking the entire bag
i get accused of an illegal fourth amendment search every time. Every time its in a different pocket or section. I never understand why she moved it around
i have to check it every night and lock the car something she cant remember to do even though unlocked cars are guaranteed to be rifled through! Our neighbor left his fob in the car.they opened the unlocked door. Looked change. Found the fob. Took the car. His check book was inthe cat too
hmmmm cant see a reason to lock the car lol

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
maybe this needs to be in the old man rant thread, but I wish we could go back to keys. I had to get a fob for the Mini- $500 at the BMW dealer. When it costs more to start your car than to fly to NYC, things have gotten crazy.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
maybe this needs to be in the old man rant thread, but I wish we could go back to keys. I had to get a fob for the Mini- $500 at the BMW dealer. When it costs more to start your car than to fly to NYC, things have gotten crazy.

You do have a point about the rant thread, but the answer is pretty much posted above. As will be explained below.

So any tips or cool ways to carry these things? First World Problem:)

Don't get a car that only works with the fob. It will probably be outdated next year.

I'd only carry the fob for the one I'm driving, and if I need to get in the other car I'd grab the spare for it.

Oh, and I dumped the remote thingy that unlocks the truck with the push button as it's bigger than what I want to stick in my pocket...I just use the key.

Last edited:
Top Bottom