What's new

First week with Nancy Boy

This thread is for the discussion of the reviews I posted for Nancy Boy Shave Cream and Nancy Boy Cooling A/S Gel. Being I.T illiterate I have no idea how to post a link, but if anyone would like to tell me how it's done I would be more than happy to hear from you.
Firstly, for those who were made nauseous by my gushing first impressions, I apologise; I may have seemed a little over the top :001_rolle in my praise of these products, but I stand by it, after a full week I am still impressed with these products. The shave cream will definitely remain my go to product and I am very fond of the A/S.
A final mark of 83% in my review of the cream doesn't give an accurate impression of just how highly I rate this cream. I marked it down based on the packaging. The packaging isn't bad, but I feel this cream deserves a lot better. It should be contained in a solid gold tub, encrusted with diamonds and entwined with the finest silks, delivered into your hand by a procession of scantily clad maidens and accompanied by an angelic orchestra. Obviously the overheads for such elaborate presentation would be high so how about a nice glass tub instead? NB is better than any of the 3T's that I have tried so why shouldn't it have a better tub?
As for the shave I think it is superb. Not only was I encouraged to go back to my Futur after the "incident" but I also loaded it with a Feather blade, with this cream there wasn't even a tiny little nick. In fact I was so confident that the NB cream would allow for any flaws in my technique that I even shaved with the Slant Bar this morning. This was against my better judgement, and the advice of the more experienced, but I thought it would make a great cliffhanger for the end of my first week with the NB. Ron had recently given me some good advice about angle and technique, this, coupled with the Nancy Boy cream gave me the confidence to go ahead with the/|. The shave wasn't especially close, but given the /|'s fearsome reputation this was down to my cautiousness and not any inherent flaws with the razor or the cream. More importantl there was no arterial bleeding!
In conclusion I love this cream and I know most of you do too. However I would like to hear from anyone who has any new observations on the cream or A/S or any comments about my reviews.
Regards,
Alex

My good man! A high class gent, indeed.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of this fabulous cream :001_tt2:

I must say, I am not nearly as experienced with the "other" fine English creams as many here. But I have tried different scents in all 3Ts, Proraso, KMF, C&E, Tom's, Coates, Salters and a few other store brands. I can honestly say that the Nancy Boy cream forms a lather with which the others can not even come close too :ohmy: Not only is the lather abundant, but it is thick, creamy and of top quality, which provides a non-foamy slather when applied to your mug. Very protective and such, as well.

I must also say that I'm very fond of the scent. I like the scent as much as the quality, which has led to an addiction of sorts :a23:

I so much didn't want to like this stuff. I would like to consider myself a "man's man", and to use something called nancy boy, sends shivers up my spine (I read that it isn't tested on animals, but on boyfriends). To think I almost didn't try this wonderful cream. Ah well, I just spent 100 bucks on their website. It may not be the best scent around (it isnt bad though) but it sure is the best performer of everything I've tried. I guess I'll just have to hide the stuff after I use it, LOL.

sparky5693 said:
I so much didn't want to like this stuff. I would like to consider myself a "man's man", and to use something called nancy boy, sends shivers up my spine (I read that it isn't tested on animals, but on boyfriends). To think I almost didn't try this wonderful cream. Ah well, I just spent 100 bucks on their website. It may not be the best scent around (it isnt bad though) but it sure is the best performer of everything I've tried. I guess I'll just have to hide the stuff after I use it, LOL.

Good reason to keep some empty Trumper or Taylor tubs around, or perhaps a C&E Almond Jar for a more polished look. Just use a little spatula to transfer the NB and...Presto!...You've got Nancy Boy incognito! Same goes for their excellent A/S Balm; just transfer it to one of those little generic pump bottles and dispensing is easier as well.

The scent is a nice, clean scent that kind of reminds me of my mother's old Noxema Cream. NB says they may eventually add more scents of shave cream. Maybe all the NB enthusiasts here could initiate a letter writing campaign and let them boys...ink they know the seriousness of SCAD! :wink:

PottyDoctor said:
Good reason to keep some empty Trumper or Taylor tubs around, or perhaps a C&E Almond Jar for a more polished look. Just use a little spatula to transfer the NB and...Presto!...You've got Nancy Boy incognito! Same goes for their excellent A/S Balm; just transfer it to one of those little generic pump bottles and dispensing is easier as well.

The scent is a nice, clean scent that kind of reminds me of my mother's old Noxema Cream. NB says they may eventually add more scents of shave cream. Maybe all the NB enthusiasts here could initiate a letter writing campaign and let them boys...ment, I think 6 or 8 new scents would do. DJ.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Tea Rose scent and would like to see that in a shave cream. The email bombardment is something we should take seriously, we will get new scents even if we have to break their spirit in the process:biggrin:
Warm regards,
Alex

AJS said:
I have heard a lot of good things about the Tea Rose scent and would like to see that in a shave cream. The email bombardment is something we should take seriously, we will get new scents even if we have to break their spirit in the process:biggrin:
Warm regards,
Alex

Alex,

The Tea Rose bath bar is by far my favorite of their four available scents; it would make a really nice shave cream. However, I think we should ask NB to consider "traditional" scents as well, i.e. Rose, Lavender, Almond, Lime, Sandalwood, etc. Some with extremely sensitive skin might even like an "Unscented" version; although I have not read of anyone having a reaction to their Signature Scent.

I wrote them a few months ago asking the question if they were planning to add additional scents to the Shave Cream line and they advised they probably would at some time in the future, however it does not seem to be a high priority with them. Here is a thread which is the reply another member got when he asked the same question: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2567.

NB customer service is top notch in every way and I believe they would be interested to hear the exuberant comments from the Nancy Boy lovers on B&B about their Signature Shave Cream along with a request for additional scents.

Who knows, could there someday be a Nancy Boy B&B Scent? :confused:

I just received my NB cream... smells great. Along with it was a complimentary signature scent bath bar. Pretty good deal for just over $18, delivered. Given the rave reviews this shave cream has received, I am very much looking forward to my shave tomorrow with it.

Drew

I ordered a bunch of samples from Scotto and just tried Nancy Boy cream.

It has a pleasant enough smell and looks creamy, luscious and very high quality. However, I was unable to get it to lather. If it had not been for numerous posts praising it to high heaven I would have thought it was one of those brush-less creams.

I used about the same amount as I typically use for Taylor Rose or C&E Sweet Almond and only managed to work up a paltry amount of lather. I should probably use more cream next time I try it or this cream requires some special techniques to get it to lather.

Disappointed so far.

First time I used Nancy Boy I overloaded the brush like you wouldn't believe and the resulting volume of lather had to be seen to be believed. I have seen some posts where the author stated that you don't need anymore NB Cream than you do with any of the more traditional ones, but this has not been my experience. The more you start with (within reason of course) the more lather you get. Also, when using NB pumping the brush up and down near the end of your mixing seems to help create a great lather, more so than many other creams I have tried. Of course, YMMV, but for me Nancy Boy is the quintessential cream in my rotation.
Warm regards,
Alex

finegelernt said:
I ordered a bunch of samples from Scotto and just tried Nancy Boy cream.

It has a pleasant enough smell and looks creamy, luscious and very high quality. However, I was unable to get it to lather. If it had not been for numerous posts praising it to high heaven I would have thought it was one of those brush-less creams.

I used about the same amount as I typically use for Taylor Rose or C&E Sweet Almond and only managed to work up a paltry amount of lather. I should probably use more cream next time I try it or this cream requires some special techniques to get it to lather.

Disappointed so far.

Try a bit more water in your mix, I start with a drier brush and add small amounts (slowly) of water, until I get the perfect mix, which provides me with loads of lather without using any more cream than I use with any other products. I do live in Oregon, and we are known for having some of the best water around, Hope this helps. Cheers, DJ.

Thank you guys, I will try your suggestions tonight.

Alex, I agree that pumping the brush produces substantially more lather that rotations alone. In fact, when I first started with green Proraso cream I was not getting good lather even though I was swirling like crazy.

What I do now is after a few rotations inside the bowl I push the brush about half way down and swirl it around a few times. I alternate between the two methods and there is a visible improvement in the quantity and quality of lather produced. Based on my experience one should not baby the brush and really work it hard to get good lather.

I was initially babying the brush because one of the stickies on this forum stated that pushing on the badger brush will break the bristles. I do not see that happening to my brush yet, but if it does, I will just buy another one. Like Kramer from Seinfeld said when his girlfriend died "I was not looking for a long term relationship".

Today was my first shave with the Nancy Boy cream. Excellent experience! Good lather, nice, distinctive scent, but the really outstanding feature is the lubrication this cream provides. One of my smoothest shaves in a long time, refreshing and soothing.
I really like this cream and it will become one of my favorites, for sure.
Picking nits: I'd like the peppermint to be supplemented by some Menthol, for a little added cooling action.
I am looking forward to any new fragrances NB may be introducing! Great, cool and soothing shave: I'll keep using the NB for a while!

I got a sample from scotto a little while back and the first time I used it I wasn't that crazy about it. But about a week ago I decided to use it again and I don't know what I missed the first time but I went online and bought me some shaving cream and aftershave. It is a very good cream and if the AS is as good then I will be all set (for a little while)

I've had the opportunity to use the NB cream last week, & I absolutely loved it. I honestly think this may me the closest & smoothest shave I've ever experienced. I never though anything would make Trumpers Limes take a back seat, but this stands a real chance of doing so.

I also ordered the AS balm. My sense of smell is extremely sensitive & I have a strong aversion to floral scents. That being said, I was almost bowled over by the punch of lavendar this stuff was packing. The fragrance fades mercifully quick however, & within a matter of minutes is virtually undetectable. I'm a fan of gel based balms, especiallyin warmer months, & I would rate the performance of this one even higher than that of similar products such as Sharps & Baxter of California.

I purchased the ultramarine night cream for use around my eyes based on a recommendation found on another forum. Typically it takes days or even weeks for the efficacy of products of this nature to be fully seen, so I have to hold off on a review for now.

I Also picked up the laundry soap, but haven't made the hellish trek to the laundromat to test it out. Maybe this weekend. We'll see.

Top Bottom