What's new

First Vintage Shave - 40's style Super Speed...what a great razor...

Hi all,

Like many, I got initially hooked after shaving once with a Van Den Hagen set bought on relative impulse at Walmart. Since then I've bought and used a Merkur Futur and 34c, an Edwin Jagger de89, and of course the initial VDH. Also like many...I was intrigued by the popularity of the vintage razors, and not just in some quaint sense like an old car you have to give up a lot of comfort to enjoy, but in the sense that they really do represent the pinnacle of razor engineering with military/war level tolerances with an overall quality current manufacturers couldn't dream of matching at the volumes they produced.

Anyway, for those who can't imagine an old razor going head to head with a new one, just spend the $15 or so for a 60 year old piece of history you can hold in your hand, that has the feel of being a daily use tool that will continue to work perfectly long after your beard has stopped growing. This is an incredibly well made razor, and truly gave me an excellent, enjoyable, smooth, confidence inspiring, very close shave. That nickel plating looks as good as new, and as it sits in my razor rack, it doesn't look like the old one, it just looks like the nicest one.

So far, I would put this razor and my 34c as the two I enjoy shaving with the most out of my small, but rapidly growing collection. I've been busy on ebay...and should be receiving any day now a very nice fat boy and a birth year slim adjustable that I'm now really looking forward to trying out.

On a separate note, as I held the VDH and the Super Speed side by side and compared them, it is pretty clear what they were basing their design on when they were trying to figure out what to knock off...very very similar features, just a much much cheaper level of quality. I wonder what it would cost to produce these or the vintage adjustables today...?

I've been a long term lurker, and thought I'd post a newby's perspective for those who may be wondering about whether it's worth it...it definitely was for me.

CopYaLater,
Brad
SuperSpeed.jpg

Brad, I learned to shave in the '60's with what I now know was a '40's SS. Wish I had that one as it was my father's. But, not having that one - I did what you did and bought one. It does shave great! Then, I got to reading here (I've only been here a couple of months myself) and heard tales of Old Types and New Types. I got myself an Old and compared to the 40's SS it was tough going for a few shaves. Then, I hit the right combination and it shaves much better than the SS. Now, my favorite is a 1906 Single Ring. Close, oh yes, very close and extremely satisfying both historically (I'm an historian) and as a razor. Cast your eyes further back, my friend, and you may too find that an even better than the best shave awaits just a few decades earlier. Welcome to the best razor place in the world!

Hugh

Hugh,

Given how crazy cheap these old razors are, it isn't hard to feed the obsession. Once I started looking around, it became impossible not to throw a few bids out there...got this set for $15.
ebaypurchase.jpg

One looks like an old travel Tech, and the other I have to do a little more work to figure out exactly what it is. My obsession is clearly pulling me back further and further in time, and I'm looking forward to trying them all out. I particularly enjoy vintage things that don't give anything up to the modern counterparts. I appreciate vintage cars, but honestly, I enjoy my air conditioning, and electric everything, and feeling like I'm floating down the road in a living room that my Truck gives me...and there's no way I'm going to use a Model T...which was manufactured during the same time as these razors...as my daily driver. If someone told me the SS was the only razor I could ever use again, I wouldn't feel like I had been shortchanged...

Cheers!

BDWoody

A Warm Welcome to you Sir.
The vintage razors to me are the best, I have only been here about 2 and half years. Found B&B as I bought a Futur with a feather blade set on max and tore my face, that's when I did a search and came here there is a lot of info on this site from a lot of gents.

Now days I get a dam fine shave with a piece of history that's still going strong, and very retro in todays living.
And I'm still learning new things as I go along, now I'm on straights to see if I can master that or it beats me lol.

But the Supper Speeds are one of the few that top class.

Brad,
You did well! Yep, it's a slippery slope, quicksand, a morass with no bottom, etc. But! It is not a descent into Hell. Nope. It's a whole lot of fun for, mostly, not a whole lot of money. And, there's history galore. Looks to me like you have a Tech and a NEW. But, I bet within 48 hours you're casually looking into the Bay, Etsy or some other dark place and perhaps finding the Holy Grail or the Fountain of Youth. Look around and you'll find lots of the gang from B&B there, too.
My Single Ring was created before the Model T was even a twinkle in Henry Ford's eye....which makes my day every time it comes up in the rotation.
Good hunting and good shaving.
Hugh

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm one of the few out there who think the Super Speeds and Techs are head and shoulders above the Old Style and New Improved. But the exploration really is fun anyway.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hugh,

Given how crazy cheap these old razors are, it isn't hard to feed the obsession. Once I started looking around, it became impossible not to throw a few bids out there...got this set for $15.
View attachment 800993
One looks like an old travel Tech, and the other I have to do a little more work to figure out exactly what it is. My obsession is clearly pulling me back further and further in time, and I'm looking forward to trying them all out. I particularly enjoy vintage things that don't give anything up to the modern counterparts. I appreciate vintage cars, but honestly, I enjoy my air conditioning, and electric everything, and feeling like I'm floating down the road in a living room that my Truck gives me...and there's no way I'm going to use a Model T...which was manufactured during the same time as these razors...as my daily driver. If someone told me the SS was the only razor I could ever use again, I wouldn't feel like I had been shortchanged...

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!

A post war Tech and a Gillette NEW SC (Short Comb). Both fantastic razors. The SC is especially one of my favorites. That was a great score. You can use the SC handle on the Tech head as well. Both of those razors are among Gillettes most rigid designs.

The SC to me is considerably more aggressive than the Tech which is a very mild comfortable shaver, but it has a narrow window of operation in regards to cutting.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As an aside, you might check this thread on the Gillette NEW razors. I have a post there detailing some of the differences between the short and long combs. Other members have shown some spectacular examples of each razor as well.

Safety Razor of the Month: July 2017

Congrats on the Super Speed and the Short Comb, both excellent razors! That E injector in the background looks very nice too! :thumbup1:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Nice to meet you! Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself! Love the 40's style SS.

Welcome! You'll find a lot of love here for the SS. It's a testament to great engineering and manufacture.

I have several, including a black tip W3. Great shaver!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I just used a 1960 SS for the first time last night and got pretty jacked up. Not sure how it happened since I am used to much more aggressive razors like the Fatip Piccolo and even straights. Perhaps with more practice...

Congratulations and enjoy. The '40s style is my favourite Super Speed of them all.
You're off to a fine start, sir!

I shaved today with my birth quarter razor, a Z1 (1954) super speed. (Last year of the 40s style, first year of the Flare tip). I prefer the 40s style. I have a Z2 flare tip and it shaves the same.

I shaved today with my birth quarter razor, a Z1 (1954) super speed. (Last year of the 40s style, first year of the Flare tip). I prefer the 40s style. I have a Z2 flare tip and it shaves the same.

I have a Z3, I believe it's the same as the Z1 and Z2 and has the same head as the 40's style. I actually prefer it over the 40's SS because of the handle, and I like it better than the 50's and 60's SS because of the head. YMMV

Top Bottom