What's new

First use of Schick Krona

Just used the Krona for the first time. Used Proraso Pre-shave red, TOBS, Gillette Nacet blade which had been used for two shaves previously.

My initial thoughts are that the shave felt somewhat scratchy, not sure if this was due to the razor, blade or technique.

Am going to try again in a couple of days with a fresh blade to see how that feels.

If you have or have used this razor what’s your thoughts on it? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack your thread but I too just had my first ever shave with one tonight also. My thoughts were simple, it's a super mild razor, one of the mildest I've ever used. I think you could almost shave blindfolded with this thing. I had my sharpest blade in it for its maiden run and it required a lot of effort on my tough whiskers to get a DFS. No irritation or burn but at the moment I don't see myself grabbing for it to be a daily driver.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love them. I own about 5 of them. I love milder razors though. I think that they were one of the best razors ever made. That is MY opinion though.

Not to hijack your thread but I too just had my first ever shave with one tonight also. My thoughts were simple, it's a super mild razor, one of the mildest I've ever used. I think you could almost shave blindfolded with this thing. I had my sharpest blade in it for its maiden run and it required a lot of effort on my tough whiskers to get a DFS. No irritation or burn but at the moment I don't see myself grabbing for it to be a daily driver.

Thanks for the input. What blade did you use? I also found the shave lather quickly built up in it and I was constantly rinsing the razor. Maybe am being a bit harsh on an old classic but first shave was somewhat disappointing. Will persevere a few more times and see how it goes.

I love my krona but it doesn't get grabbed as much as it should. I actually don't find it all that mild, and it is my go-to razor for cleanup under the nostrils lol.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. What blade did you use? I also found the shave lather quickly built up in it and I was constantly rinsing the razor. Maybe am being a bit harsh on an old classic but first shave was somewhat disappointing. Will persevere a few more times and see how it goes.

Sharp Titanium blade. I never thought about it much at the time but yeah it seemed like I was rinsing a bit more than with my usual Gillette line up. Same here, first impressions are crucial but in this game we need to keep experimenting with various blades, only then we can definitively say for sure if this razor is a yay or nay.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Krona.640.6-18-18.JPG

Mine is one of the easiest of my safety razors to use. It shaves very well without much effort at all, if any. For the $10 I paid for it (in great shape and including shipping) it was a great bargain.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

Probably I've used it with only one blade because why change perfection in blade choice.

My Krona is not remotely scratchy or anything like that, but perhaps I got one of the good ones?

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Krona is great, but way on the mild end! Give it a few more shaves and it may grow on you!

The mildness of a Schick Krona razor can be made more aggressive by adding 2 shims under the working blade. Some shavers claim a TTO razor cannot be successfully shimmed. I have not found that to be true.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The mildness of a Schick Krona razor can be made more aggressive by adding 2 shims under the working blade. Some shavers claim a TTO razor cannot be successfully shimmed. I have not found that to be true.
Very good point. I think any razor can be shimmed. At least any I have, lol.

Never tried a Krona, unless my dad had one when I was first starting. Always wanted to get one. I'll be on the lookout in the wild.

I love my mild Tech from 1962. I do have to ride the cap though. I wonder if the OP needs to adjust his angle?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use the Krona at a steep angle (at least its design angle or neutral angle) not cap riding or anywhere close. It's a trial and feedback process finding your best shaving angle in my view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I love them. I own about 5 of them. I love milder razors though. I think that they were one of the best razors ever made. That is MY opinion though.

I have 3 of them. They are good razors if you like mild razors, which I do. Krona was my go-to razor years ago when I was serious about DE's, I liked it even better than the Tech and Superspeed.

I have two Schick DEs (not labeled Krona) and they are among my favorites. I find them just a tad more efficient than the super speed or the techs. I use GSB and Rubies mostly.

One day I will snag a shot of my lovely Krona to share with you fine folks. It is an effortless, zen-like shave where there's no fear of retribution and lets you fully enjoy the experience. I pair mine with a Polsilver and my whiskers gently fade away.

I am sorry to hear you're having poor luck with yours. It could be that its mildness may not be up to task for your stubble, technique, blade, prep, or all of the above. Keep trying! It does favor sharper blades.

I've found using a Astra SS or Gillette Nacet in my Krona gives the best shaves. Since it's a mild shaver, one could make the mistake of several passes over the same area causing irritation.

I have a Krona that I use every time I shave. It has the longer handle I prefer and is a lot more tame than my other DE razor, a Micro Touch one (knock off clone of a Gillette Aristocrat)

I just used a Krona with the silver bottom yesterday , it has been at least a year since I last used one as I have been using mostly 3 piece Game Changer or Karve most of the time.

I loaded a brand new Feather blade which I only use on mild razors. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth and efficient it was with a 5 day growth . I did two passes and a touch up and ended with a close comfortable shave.
I don’t go for BBS shave to avoid irritation.

I was reminded how much I liked this razor, I had one with the black and silver bottom and the TTO type is great when in a hurry.

The weight and length of the Schick Krona is very easy to maneuver and paired with the right blade using a shallow angle I get great results.

Top Bottom