What's new

First use of my Merkur 39C... best shave ever?

Hey guys, so this is my first post but I have been on this site a few times for tips and recommendations, so I thought I should register and contribute in some form.

Today I used my Merkur 39C for the first time and I think I have had the best shave ever.... I was away for the weekend so had a good 3-days growth which I'm sure helped. I went for a mild blade - an Astra Super Platinum, as well as my ususal set up of hot shower and a minute with a face towel dipped in boiling water, then Proraso green pre-shave and accompanying shaving cream on my Omega 48 brush, and off I went.

Tentatively my first pass WTG went well, light-to-no pressure, slow and maintaining a good technique, and then same with the XTG/ATG passes. I know its only a few hours in, but the result is beyond expectation; BBS on most of my face, and just a bit rought in small parts around my chin, but with no irritation at all.

My technique was my initial worry, it's only recently I learned the value of no pressure and letting the weight of the razor head do the work, but hearing how much of a brute the 39C can be I was a bit worried my technique wouldn't be good enough and I'd found out in a messy/bloody way. I have real troubles going ATG particularly on the right side under my jaw (could be to do with me being left handed and reaching across? I'm not sure, but building confidence to use my right hand) so I'll wait to see what it's like in 24-hours, but normally I've had that 'raw' sensation in the past with my Muhle R89 which I don't have. I did get a couple of nicks due to a couple of existing ingrowns, but nothing that couldn't be easily solved with styptic and alum block and a finish with Clubman Original AS.

So there you go, hope that helped, and naturally if you have any questions, comments or views, don't hesitate to say!

Hey guys, so this is my first post but I have been on this site a few times for tips and recommendations, so I thought I should register and contribute in some form.

Today I used my Merkur 39C for the first time and I think I have had the best shave ever.... I was away for the weekend so had a good 3-days growth which I'm sure helped. I went for a mild blade - an Astra Super Platinum, as well as my ususal set up of hot shower and a minute with a face towel dipped in boiling water, then Proraso green pre-shave and accompanying shaving cream on my Omega 48 brush, and off I went.

Tentatively my first pass WTG went well, light-to-no pressure, slow and maintaining a good technique, and then same with the XTG/ATG passes. I know its only a few hours in, but the result is beyond expectation; BBS on most of my face, and just a bit rought in small parts around my chin, but with no irritation at all.

My technique was my initial worry, it's only recently I learned the value of no pressure and letting the weight of the razor head do the work, but hearing how much of a brute the 39C can be I was a bit worried my technique wouldn't be good enough and I'd found out in a messy/bloody way. I have real troubles going ATG particularly on the right side under my jaw (could be to do with me being left handed and reaching across? I'm not sure, but building confidence to use my right hand) so I'll wait to see what it's like in 24-hours, but normally I've had that 'raw' sensation in the past with my Muhle R89 which I don't have. I did get a couple of nicks due to a couple of existing ingrowns, but nothing that couldn't be easily solved with styptic and alum block and a finish with Clubman Original AS.

So there you go, hope that helped, and naturally if you have any questions, comments or views, don't hesitate to say!

Welcome to SOTD, Carlo. Very informative commentary. Please join us in the main weekly SOTD thread. Your posts and photos get more exposure there.

im looking forward to try out the merkur 39c which i got the other day,
wonder how it compares to the fatip lo storto open comb slant

Top Bottom