What's new

First use of Moss Scuttle

My Large (Blue) Moss Scuttle arrived yesterday, and I blogged its arrival with photos. Today was its first use, and I blog my impressions. Bottom line: I wouldn't want anything smaller than the Large, and even that will require some adjustments in my lathering technique. I'll probably keep my lathering bowl (formerly a large soup cup) for times when I want/need to be sloppy.

I do suggest one minor enhancement and have sent a note to Sara asking if she can make me a bowl with that enhancement. (See link.)

UPDATE: Link fixed. Sorry about that.

you're link directs to "stcharlesshave". so you know. was interested in hearing your suggestions on the improvement to the large scuttle / bowl.

Leisureguy said:
I wouldn't want anything smaller than the Large, and even that will require some adjustments in my lathering technique.

The size of these Moss Scuttles puts me off. I have a Kent BK12 and it's a BIG brush, apparently it has a 32mm knot. i use a shallow sided 8" diameter stoneware bowl (Kinda like a small fruit bowl), anything smaller and it becomes awkward.

John,

The Moss Scuttle is designed for keeping your lather warm. There is not enough work room (at least in my opinion) to build lather in the scuttle. I still use my mixing bowl for building the lather, and then transfer it to the scuttle. Works perfectly.

Randy

Good morning gents,
I lather separately in a bowl and just use the Moss to store the brush between passes. The product is really intended for those that build lather directly on their faces. As such, it is purposefully too small to build lather in. The snug fit is meant to put as much surface area on the brush as possible to conduct the heat from the lower chamber. I have tried several times to build lather directly on my face and have had disastrous results. I know plenty of guys who can do this but I have much better luck building in a bowl and just using the Moss as a brush warmer. Plus, they are quite attractive IMO, especially the cobalt blue.
Cheers,
Jeff

Hmmm. Based on that, the Small scuttle might be what I want: keep using my large soup cup for lathering, and use the scuttle just as a brush warmer...

Leisureguy said:
Hmmm. Based on that, the Small scuttle might be what I want: keep using my large soup cup for lathering, and use the scuttle just as a brush warmer...

I too have the large and my current brush is a 23mm. The large works OK with the 23mm but I have to mash it down in there. A small scuttle would likely be a better match for the smaller brush. I have a 28mm on order and am expecting that to be a nice fit.

The scuttle is quite thick and I find it is difficult to warm it in the first place. The smaller version is likely easier to heat as the walls are thinner. Ultimately I bought a hot pot to solve this problem and have had great success. I dilute it with tap water so it isn't too hot. I lose a little time with the extra step but hot lather is really a nice experience.
Cheers,
Jeff

rtaylor61 said:
John,

The Moss Scuttle is designed for keeping your lather warm. There is not enough work room (at least in my opinion) to build lather in the scuttle. I still use my mixing bowl for building the lather, and then transfer it to the scuttle. Works perfectly.

Randy

This sounds like a heck of a science project for something as simple as a morning shave.... I use a steel mixing bowl (small prep-bowl size) which I simply run under hot water to heat the metal, this gets and keeps my lather warm enough for me.... but hey, to each their own.

Someone suggested that a thick ceramic bowl (look in a kitchen supply store) would stay hot enough during the shave to keep the lather quite warm. But the Moss Scuttles are fun because years from now people will be looking at them in antique shops and saying to each other, "What do you suppose it was used for?" :)

With temps being in the triple digits for days and days on end, I have converted my igloo cooler into a wonderful scuttle cooler, who the hell can stand hot lather with this weather? :eek:
Cheers, DJ.

^ After my ice cold shower yesterday, I couldn't bear putting a hot towel on my face. So I just went ahead with a room temp shave... needless to say it wasn't my best shave ever

At least we're having better weather now! :smile:

TheYoshi said:
This sounds like a heck of a science project for something as simple as a morning shave.... I use a steel mixing bowl (small prep-bowl size) which I simply run under hot water to heat the metal, this gets and keeps my lather warm enough for me.... but hey, to each their own.

Yoshi,

I do mix my lather in a stainless steel mixing bowl. I've done this for over a year, and like you, running hot water over the bottom to keep the lather hot. But with the scuttle, one the lather is ready, the scuttle keeps it at a great temperature. And besides, I like the way the scuttle looks!

Randy

Sara Bonnyman replied to the idea of making a small hole to help drain the scuttle:

It is not impossible to put a hole in a scuttle, however it is a potter’s nightmare. With clay shrinkage and flowing glazes at the high temperatures I use..almost 2300 degrees F a hole would make a real complication. I have been severely raked over the coals by other scuttle buyers because the scuttles weren’t all perfectly sealed..so I started caulking them, that lasted no more than a day because then I got complaints about that too. The scuttles as they are presently, seem to be making almost everybody happy, which is my goal, you shavers are a tough crowd.​

So I'm going with the idea of just holding it sideways to empty it...

Got my small blue one yesterday, and it is beautiful! Used it this morning, and the lather stayed warm just as described. Very nice addition to the shaving routine.

If you order one, be prepared to wait awhile for it to clear customs.

Got my small blue one yesterday, and it is beautiful! Used it this morning, and the lather stayed warm just as described. Very nice addition to the shaving routine.

If you order one, be prepared to wait awhile for it to clear customs.

Ordered mine two weeks ago...still waiting for this very thing (Customs). I got the small as I'm really just looking for a brush warmer. I use my GtP v4 when I want to bowl lather :thumbup1:

Good morning gents,
I lather separately in a bowl and just use the Moss to store the brush between passes. The product is really intended for those that build lather directly on their faces. As such, it is purposefully too small to build lather in. The snug fit is meant to put as much surface area on the brush as possible to conduct the heat from the lower chamber. I have tried several times to build lather directly on my face and have had disastrous results. I know plenty of guys who can do this but I have much better luck building in a bowl and just using the Moss as a brush warmer. Plus, they are quite attractive IMO, especially the cobalt blue.
Cheers,
Jeff

+1 exactly my routine. I have one of Sara's lathering bowls too.

I have had mine for a couple of years now... I use a smaller brush and build my lather in the scuttle.. no problems and like it so much I find I have a hard time shaving without it...
although with a large sized brush I could see it being too small.. k sara sara ;)

Top Bottom