What's new

First use of Moss Scuttle

Sara Bonnyman replied to the idea of making a small hole to help drain the scuttle:

It is not impossible to put a hole in a scuttle, however it is a potter’s nightmare. With clay shrinkage and flowing glazes at the high temperatures I use..almost 2300 degrees F a hole would make a real complication. I have been severely raked over the coals by other scuttle buyers because the scuttles weren’t all perfectly sealed..so I started caulking them, that lasted no more than a day because then I got complaints about that too. The scuttles as they are presently, seem to be making almost everybody happy, which is my goal, you shavers are a tough crowd.​

So I'm going with the idea of just holding it sideways to empty it...

What I do when I finish shaving in the morning is turn mine upside down and set it on a towel during the day and when I get home in the afternoon turn it in a pouring position and get that last little "glug" get out. Then I set it upright for a couple of hours then put it away.

I agree with Sara not to change a successful formula.

The thing about scuttles is that they look bigger in the photograph and you have a pre-conceived idea of the size when you order. Then it arrives and you're surprised at how small it is.

I can use brushes ranging from 22" knot to 30" knot without a problem in my Georgetown scuttle (which I have had the longest), which may have a smaller lathering area than the large Moss.

This week I'm testing the Becker Small (Robert's Ceramic Feats of Clay), the Georgetown V5, the S--k Small (at Mama Bear's Soaps--see the Chimensch video--he has the Large), and the Dirty Bird 1.5, and will report my findings on them. With only the Dirty Bird left to try I can tell you now that they all work about the same. I'm using the same brush, the same soap, and using water of the same temperature. If the Dirty Bird works according to Hoyle, my advice to anyone wanting to buy a scuttle is to take the one that appeals to you most appearance-wise because you can make them all work the same way.

We've been running a Dirty Bird Scuttle Pass in the PIF Forum. We are passing both a Dirty Bird 1.5 and a Dirty Bird Original. Absolutely outstanding quality and the performance is wonderful. We leanded toward trying the Dirty Bird do to my previous research, where I found it was well documented that the Dirty Bird and Moss were the top two out there but the dirty bird came out on top with heat retention and size.

Julie, at Dirty Bird also makes a Brush Scuttle for those who just want to keep a lathered brush warm. i.e face latherers.

And they are made in King George, VA so you can get them super fast!

I love my large Moss. It's a quality product and does it's job admirably. I personally don't find it hard to get a great lather in, and it keeps everything nice and toasty. However, I haven't tried the Dirty Bird just yet. I considered getting in on your PIF for comparison but I didn't feel it would have been proper, all things considered.

I don't think it would be difficult to get rid of one on B/S/T if I didn't like it, so perhaps I'll pick one up when summer starts to cool off.

I love my large Moss. It's a quality product and does it's job admirably. I personally don't find it hard to get a great lather in, and it keeps everything nice and toasty. However, I haven't tried the Dirty Bird just yet. I considered getting in on your PIF for comparison but I didn't feel it would have been proper, all things considered.

I don't think it would be difficult to get rid of one on B/S/T if I didn't like it, so perhaps I'll pick one up when summer starts to cool off.

I'm certain the Moss does do it's job admirably. To have such a large following, it must be a quality scuttle and I myself would love one. I did read a review/comparison here though where a member took and IR thermometer and did several side by side comparisons of a couple of different scuttles. The DB came out on top for heat retention. Also, for that member and the brush he uses, he found the size of the DB best suited for him. Non of this is to take away from the Moss as even the member doing the test was having a hard time choosing based on his findings.

The Moss is a great scuttle to have, if you can settle for second best.:laugh: Just kidding. I don't think you can go wrong with a Moss or a Dirty Bird. Both are the higest standards of scuttles and you just have to basically choose, which size, color, and design works for you. I bet if you buy a DB though, we won't see it on BST.

Top Bottom