What's new

First use of feather popular TTO

For a 12 dollar or so razor on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Double-Edge-Shaving-Razor/dp/B003YJ70NY

I used the razor today for the first time. At first I was thinking how is this piece of plastic going to give me a good shave. Every part of it feels flimsy after trying the metal vintage Gillette razors. Well I loaded the feather blade that came with it into the razor and proceeded to lather and shave. On my cheeks I was amazed at how smooth it was. On my jaw line again no cuts or irritation. Normally I get irritation on my jaw line. So this was a pleasant surprise. The razor itself was comfortable and easy to control. The lack of weight made it easier to use correct pressure. The thin metal on the doors give the blade a strong audio feedback so you can get the angle easier. On my neck after the second pass I had a bunch of Knicks but I chalk that up to the soap. All in all I was really impressed with this cheap plastic razor. It does come in a hard plastic case and can hold a plastic tuck of blades nicely. I will try and see if it will hold cardboard tucks as well securely. So using the razor the thoughts going through my head is it is a mild razor and would be great for beginners. The plastic case is sturdy and would make a good travel razor as well. If it got lost or something happened to it is cheap enough where you wouldn't be too mad. I think anyone who likes mild razors could enjoy this razor as well. Yes it is mostly plastic and thin cheap metal but it shaves nice and is comfortable to use and is forgiving to a degree. I will be using it fairly often and it will be a travel razor.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think the Popular is as good as any Gillette TTO fixed razor. It'a a modern version of what Gillette was making. And I'll take the lighter weight all day long. My favorite DE is the Merkur 45.

While my "goto" razor is a Feather shavette, when traveling the Feather Popular is my first choice. The handle is plastic but the important parts are metal. I often times think this should be the only DE razor in my shave den. It is so easy to use, especially when loaded with a Personna blue blade.

I have a popular. I think it's a fine razor. It is part plastic but the plastic seems like it's the sturdy and durable type. The metal parts are a little thin but they are stainless not zamak. And it's a fine mild shaver as previously stated.

Personally I prefer the popular over a lot of more expensive zamak razors that tend to corrode after a few years.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They look alright for the price. Most of the Australian retailers sell them for just under the $30.00 Australian dollar mark. I’ve thought about getting one but I have not pulled the pin yet. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Great observations!!

Price and performance are often different things. For example, I got a DFS+ today from my Lord L6.

This is a great razor. I use Feather blades or Personna Blue blades and get a great shave every time. Very nicely designed razor.

I've only shaved with my Popular a couple of times, but it's a good razor. I should use it more often.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Agree. But asd2 is a full stainless steel razor.
For me the weight of stainless detracts from my shave. It might be more durable, but if I break the Popular or Merkur 45, surely easy enough to get another. I don't understand the love affair with stainless. Brass was / is a better material for razors in my opinion.

Feather Popular is a great razor no doubt. Regardless of the price, the performance on this razor is on the top for a mild razor. I used this the past three days and I've been having wonderful shaves each day. Even ATG feels fine with this razor, which says something about it. It's a recommend for anyone out there.

A friend sent it to me. I opened the package opened the case picked up the razor and it felt so cheap. Opened the top up dropped in a blade and closed it. It was smooth but at first touch it feels cheap. When you use it though it feels like a well made razor. I was very impressed with this razor and was so glad I have it. I am now wanting to try the feather adjustable plastic razor. I am curious about the feather all stainless razor. It's just weird the popular is like 15. The adjustable is about 35. Then you go to the stainless which is 130 give or take. It's a huge jump but I'm curious if it's worth it to get the razor.

Anyone use the popular and the all stainless? Is the shave that much better to justify that much of a price jump.

I have both the popular and the all stainless as d2. The shave quality is similar. From a value standpoint the popular is the clear winner. But I don't regret buying the as d2. I like the weight and feel of the as d2 better. It (as d2) is simply the best razor I've ever used. Although the razorock mamba is a close second.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I own as-d2 and recommended popular TTO to a friend who wants to save money.
He loves popular TTO very much. When he is lazy in the study room, he even picks it up and starts to shave
--in completely dry condition. :em2100:

Don’t have the Popular, thought about getting it but then decided to get the new Wilkinson sword TTO instead, prefer the heavier weight. For the money it’s a great razor.

99024665-C8C7-4D0F-B732-1680B31A80FC.jpeg

Top Bottom