What's new

First use of Feather DX Kamasori

Sorry no picture but first use of Feather DX Kamasori with a Feather ProGuard blade. Paired with MdC Fougere soap (Thank you @Earcutter ) and Simpson's Chubby 2 Best Badger. Great close 2 pass shave with 2 good weepers/cuts. Took care of with Alum and Styptic Stick. Gonna definitely need a lot more practice! Ain't like a DE that's for sure. The Feather was tuggy but it is supposed to be smooth after the first use. We will see. All in all I cannot complain. Technique will improve. Glad I started with the ProGuard vs the Professionals I have as well.

If it is tuggy it might be down to angle or slickness. Generally the proguards are very forgiving of angle. All the same, I would experiment a little with both angle and adding more hydration to the lather. Personally I like the proguards best in the DX - I feel they are most straight like. I do like the professionals in the Kai razors.

If it is tuggy it might be down to angle or slickness. Generally the proguards are very forgiving of angle. All the same, I would experiment a little with both angle and adding more hydration to the lather. Personally I like the proguards best in the DX - I feel they are most straight like. I do like the professionals in the Kai razors.
Thank you. For a first try it went better then expected. I need to get down an angle. I think I went too conservative but in a few spots too aggressive, hence the cuts. Practice makes perfect! Soap was slick but MdC is not the slickest. I'll choose better next time. The MdC is slick for the DE but the Kamasori maybe not so much. I'll get it down. At least I didn't bleed to death!

Nice!

I shaved with a Feather Kami almost exclusively for two years. I’ll go back to it after I mess with my new DE’s for a while I figure - I love the shave it gives. Love. Heck, I might shave with it tonight now that you got me talking about it lol. But that’s besides the point. What I would impart to you is that it really takes a shallow angle. I’m talking a not intuitive kind of shallow.

Try keeping the spine ~ 3mm (1/8”) at most off the face. Jawlines and chins of course take some practice as you round them, but with some contorting and stretching, you can avoid that for a while as you learn. And dude, if you never stretched before, do now.

So yeah, congrats man. Two small weepers isn’t bad on your first run. Like at all. Using MdC shouldn’t be a problem at all in the future, but until then, go heavy on the tallow. A&E & Wholly Kaw are your friends! :)

Congrats!

Congratulations on an excellent first effort. I am on shave number 25 and have only recently managed a complete pass. So for you to complete two passes at the first try is very impressive. My attention span is pretty wiped by that point so I use the Vector for the second pass.

Laser-like focus is crucial and I haven't yet managed a bloodless shave, though thankfully now with only styptic capable nicks. I have only ever used a non-guarded blade including Feather Professional, Schick Proline and Kai Pink.

Presently I use Proraso Single Blade shaving cream, a generous dollop and kept hydrated. Maintaining the shallowest angle possible seems to keep me out of serious trouble.

The Feather DX Kamisori is a thing of beauty and I am determined to master it.

Good luck with your progress

Nice!

I shaved with a Feather Kami almost exclusively for two years. I’ll go back to it after I mess with my new DE’s for a while I figure - I love the shave it gives. Love. Heck, I might shave with it tonight now that you got me talking about it lol. But that’s besides the point. What I would impart to you is that it really takes a shallow angle. I’m talking a not intuitive kind of shallow.

Try keeping the spine ~ 3mm (1/8”) at most off the face. Jawlines and chins of course take some practice as you round them, but with some contorting and stretching, you can avoid that for a while as you learn. And dude, if you never stretched before, do now.

So yeah, congrats man. Two small weepers isn’t bad on your first run. Like at all. Using MdC shouldn’t be a problem at all in the future, but until then, go heavy on the tallow. A&E & Wholly Kaw are your friends! :)

Congrats!
Yes, I agree with the very shallow. Cheeks and neck were good, jawline is where the cuts happened. I'll whip out the A&E soaps next shave.

When I first shaved with my folding Feather SS there was some resistance when shaving. I thought the blade was dull and changed it out. The next blade was no better. I came to realize the resistance with because my angle was to steep. I still have the tendency to use a steeper than helpful angle using a straight razor. You post was a reminder to keep a generally flat angle. This will result in an effective and comfortable shave.

I have been shaving with the DX for over three years. It is my go to with the SS close in second. The pro guard blades are very forgiving. The pros are the sharpest and least forgiving.

Use the flattest angle you can and the lightest touch. Have patience as it will likely take you months to master it.

Update
SOTD
FACE SHAVE
Feather DX Kamasori (just gets better!)
Feather ProGuard x2
Chubby 2 Best Badger
Pereira Shavery Water Blossom Charcoal Soap
Face lather​
Slow leisurely shave today. Needed to trim up the Goatee thus the Kamasori. The Kamasori is better than a DE for trimming the Goatee and setting lines. Great BBS shave. Only 1 weeper in my trouble spot. No redness or irritation. Post shave was A&E St. Barts AS balm. It went nicely with the Pereira. If you haven't used Pereira yet it is black but lathers to a gray, add more water and when it goes white the slickness and residual slickness is great! Unfortunately on some reviews people dont add enough water to take it to its potential. Scent is a strong masculine floral I can't compare to anything else. Wish they made a AS balm. Great for Spring and Summer. 5th time with the Kamasori and feel I need more practice but overall I cannot complain. Blades are very sharp, take your time. Pereira says it is a cream but it is a soap, treat it as such. Very hard. Bloomed for 5 minutes. 10th use hardly any is gone. It is different but also an excellent soap once dialed in. Not many reviews but makes my top 5. DE shaves have been great with the Pereira. Give it a go, just add water until white!
20190628_111015.jpg

Noice!

To me those kamasories always looked comfortable to use, but I don't want to veer off of easily obtainable DE blades. Glad you are enjoying yours.

Looks a very fine setup, and that soap is really intriguing!

Congrats on a great shave, glad your DX is providing enjoyment :)

Noice!

To me those kamasories always looked comfortable to use, but I don't want to veer off of easily obtainable DE blades. Glad you are enjoying yours.
Thank you. The more I use it the more I like it. Blades are readily available. I have the ProGuards and the professional. Haven't used the Professional yet. Shaves super close. The soap is great. Not many reviews.

No pictures today but used the DX Kamisori again today. Feather ProGuard blade x3. A&E L'Orange Verte soap, Chubby 2 Best. Great 2 pass with pickups. Another weeper in the trouble spot but went away with the second lather. I'm really enjoying a Kamisori. Getting faster over time but still very cautious because if it bites I can see it being bad.

Aloha,

Okay took my first shave with the Feather DX with ProGuard blade. Taking all the advice to go slow and sure, I got through the cheeks and right side of my mustache without a single burn or weeper. Then I got way over confident on the left side mustache, went a little faster and promptly sliced through the skin. Luckily it wasn't that bad and quickly taken care of with a styptic pencil. Slowed down again on the beard and got through the rest without incidence.

Never again do I disrespect the Feather DX.

I do have to admit that the experience was exhilarating. I originally got into DE shaving as a prelim to straight blade shaving and after 6 years I am finally taking the plunge.

Mahalo,
Dennis

I have been SR shaving for about a year. Recently got a feather SS with Pro guard blades. Those blades are a beast and initially unforgiving. I got a few weepers first few uses of blade. I found the blades to bite less at third shave. And you will be punished for poor pre shave, poor slickness. The technique with AC blades are slightly different than SR, but skill set will easily transition to SR. You will find SR shaving will improve your DE shaves.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a Feather AC DX folding razor with wooden scales and used it with ProGuard blades at first and then the Professional blades. It is a fantastic razor and provides a superb shave with the correct technique. As has already been said, it is vital to use good preparation, a very shallow angle and super light touch, or cuts are inevitable. I find it a challenge to use and enjoy the achievement of having done, so but I would not say it is a pleasure as it requires total concentration at all times and it therefore not relaxing to use, at least not yet. In fact it is the only razor I use where my heart rate increases while I am using it! I suppose that more relaxed use will come with practice. I also use a 1970s Derby Aiku Japanese straight razor, as well as many DE razors, and I consider that much more forgiving and easier to use than the Feather AC DX. Practice makes perfect!

Top Bottom