What's new

First use Asco Super Stainless ( Orange label )

I started up a ( new to me ) Lord Asco Super Stainless blade yesterday. This is a blade that I basically ordered to round out my purchase to an even $20 so it was purchased blind and in small numbers. I generally like to do a 'first use' in my Gillette Slim at a setting of 3, so that is how I approached the shave. I did my typical pre-shave routine like I would for a regular shave. Typically I start a new blade out with VDH Luxury, but yesterday I went with Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. Not perfect for keeping things uniform in my first use technique, but the Stirling has always treated me well so I wasn't very worried.

My first shave with it was ... for lack of a better word ... lackluster. The first few strokes on my cheeks were good which is always a nice start. Some blades let me know right there you are in for a bad shave. However, when I moved to my neck I started running into some resistance. The smoothness of the shave was not impressing me, but I got through that pass with no major issues beyond it being mildly uncomfortable. No surprises, and it was certainly not the worst shave I've ever experienced from a comfort standpoint.

Pass 2 ( XTG ) went a little better, but it still at times just didn't feel top-notch. I decided to skip the ATG pass and just finished with an additional WTG pass. A cold water splash and cleanup revealed I certainly didn't get a BBS, but it was a Socially Acceptable Shave and I went with it. A quick application of Skin Bracer didn't reveal any problem areas so that was a plus.

Throughout the day I just kept noticing I didn't get a real close shave. By early last evening I had a decent 5 o'clock shadow. Now, in the Asco's defense, a Slim set to 3 is definitely not a BBS machine for many blades, but even in that context I was less than impressed. I also realize I skipped my ATG pass so some of that lies on my decision there.

Now moving to day 2. I seriously almost just skipped it altogether to take another spin on the Rapira Lux that has been a recent addition to my collection ( a lovely blade to be sure ). However, I felt in fairness I should at least give the Asco another shot. It's not like Shave 1 was painful, or resulted in facial damage. Like a trooper I reached for the Slim, but I went ahead and bumped it up to 5.

And I was rewarded. Shave 2 was perfectly adequate. Far smoother, and I went for my typical 3 pass shave with no mishaps. I kept my cleanup very minimal so I'd classify this as a DFS+ shave, but it's mainly because the typical problem areas I normally run into didn't get the extra buffing I might normally give them. The Skin Bracer didn't show me any hotspots so huzzah.

My take-away is that ( for me ) the Asco falls into that category of blades that seem to need at least one shave to settle down a bit and get fully into the comfort zone. It may be that the PTFE coating on it needs to wear down and expose the blade a little more, and that the lack of smoothness yesterday was actually the blade being covered up a little too much by the coating.

2 shaves in and it is also looking to me that it probably will never be a bonafide favorite of mine in the Slim. Today's shave was good, but even then it wasn't great. The Asco just seems ( for me ) to be average sharpness wise and it just doesn't provide me with a super enjoyable experience. That said, I'm moving it to my SLOC tomorrow to give it a go there and see what it does. It's certainly a good enough blade that I am not afraid of it so it's got that going for it at least.

I'd love to hear anyone else's experience with these blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Orange Asco blades work well for me. They do smooth out after a shave and I bought 100 of them without trying them first. I like them very much.

Update: I ran the Asco through my SLOC razor today and it was a good match. Perfectly comfortable, and I even ran it through a complex pattern of buffing on my trouble areas. No mishaps and I have a smooth face as a result.

I’ll run this blade out and see what lifespan it gives me.

Very fine blade. My problem is finding them.

I grabbed a few ( 30 ) from my last Connaught order to round up the total to $20. I have a weird tendency to do that for some reason, but it does have the side benefit of leading me to try some blades I normally wouldn't.

Last edited:
Nice review! Some blades do need a shave or two to ‘settle-in.’

I've run into that on a few blades. It may also be that for my face they just don't match up with the Slim on mild settings either. I try to give new blades a few different shots at impressing me before I write them off unless they are just meat cleavers right out of the wrapper.

The Orange Asco blades work well for me. They do smooth out after a shave and I bought 100 of them without trying them first. I like them very much.

I enjoy finding some of these 'economy' blades that do well in my equipment. I got 30 for about $3 so I can't complain about their value for sure, and since they seemed to provide a nice shave in the 2nd razor I tried them in I can definitely see myself purchasing more in the future once I run out of these.

All Lord stainless blades are made the same a Lord spokesman told me. its just that they use different packaging for different markets. This makes sense as I can't see a different production line for each type of blade. Their QC is not the best however.

All Lord stainless blades are made the same a Lord spokesman told me. its just that they use different packaging for different markets. This makes sense as I can't see a different production line for each type of blade. Their QC is not the best however.

Could be. I’d have to try a few more Silver Stars and Asco’s before I’d believe it though. There was a marked difference in how they performed in the same razor.

As a regular Asco super stainless shaver for more than 10 years I can tell you the following: I have a stash of more than 400 - all the blue-red, orange and red packs are the same. The is no "settling" or initial wearing out with the Ascos. All 3 shaves I can get are the same. It is just that they are not top sharpness blades , so you need to use them in more aggressive razors. What you did was use them in the Slim @3 on the first shave - that's a very mild setting. So on shave#2 you switched to setting 5 and they shaved well. Basically your methodology is not right. It started shaving well because of the increased gap.

Thats because Lords QC is crud.!

Have been using many Lord brands since 2007. Never had a dud

Top Bottom