What's new

first try with dovo shavette

I was in a local tobacconist yesterday and was happy to see a locked case with Col Conk, Merkur, various quality shave brushes and dovo straight razors. There was a black shavette with a red insert. Not knowing, I bought the shavette and some professional blades. Took it home, thought the blade fit the insert oddly but got it in, lathered up and got a BBS shave with a bit of burn on the neck and a few neck weepers. THEN, I looked up the razor and realized I had the insert for a regular DE broken in half! Went back and replaced it-it did fit better but still a bit of a challenge with the shallow indents and bumps. Will need to wait for a day off to try again. I've played with st8s and this is different being so much lighter and sharper (a comment more on my honing and stropping shortcomings!), but it gives a great shave! Just need to fine tune the pressure-it is so light you tend to press to hard. Another dynamic to this great hobby!

I am confused. What kind of blade exactly did you load into your Dovo Shavette?

There are 3 holders available:

Red: uses a snapped in half DE blade.
Green: Uses longer, thicker blades intended for use in a Hair Shaper.
Black: uses a blade that is thin like a DE blade, and able to be snapped in half like a DE blade, but is about the same length as that of a typical straight.

If you somehow were able to jam the wrong style of blade into the red holder, I am super surprised you didn't have horrific results; it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

My experience with shavettes suggest they are a lot harder to control than a straight razor. I hardly ever use my straight but still pull it out about once a month for a real shave.

I've played with st8s and this is different being so much lighter and sharper (a comment more on my honing and stropping shortcomings!), but it gives a great shave! Just need to fine tune the pressure-it is so light you tend to press to hard. Another dynamic to this great hobby!

This is interesting because I found that the lighter weight of the disposable blade razors forced me to use a lighter touch. When I applied that light touch to my regular straight razor shaves, I got better shaves all around.

A barber once explained the logic of this to me and while I understood what he told me, I have a hard time explaining it myself. Something to the effect that too much pressure (not enough to cut the skin but still significant) does not allow the edge to cut the whisker right at the skin's surface but pushes the skin down causing the whisker to be cut above the surface of the skin. It makes sense to me but if it is really true, I can't say for sure. Of course, YMMV. :001_smile

I am confused. What kind of blade exactly did you load into your Dovo Shavette?

There are 3 holders available:

Red: uses a snapped in half DE blade.
Green: Uses longer, thicker blades intended for use in a Hair Shaper.
Black: uses a blade that is thin like a DE blade, and able to be snapped in half like a DE blade, but is about the same length as that of a typical straight.

If you somehow were able to jam the wrong style of blade into the red holder, I am super surprised you didn't have horrific results; it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

I used a blade designed for the black holder in the red one! Now have replaced it with a 1/2 DE blade in the red one! The shave was a bit rough!!

Top Bottom