What's new

First Try With A Shavette

This morning, I completed my 10th shave with my Dovo shavette. It was the first time that I didn't get any nicks or cuts with three passes. Now, I rate this shave as a DFS, but I still had to use my safety razor to do a very quick touch up on my neck and jawline. I am very pleased that in my first 10 shaves that I have achieved this level of competency in such a short time. My prior shaves had a small nick/shave so I was thankful that I didn't cut myself badly like some newbies have stated in this forum.

I used a gifted Gold Dollar SR for two passes and finished with a Feather SS, not to mention my tool for up against the nostrils and side burn cut. The Feather was a effective as any DE or SE for cleanup.

I am bloodless after all SR shaves....so I am definitely due.

Hi Everyone! I did my 16th shave with my Dovo Shavette and I am able to do my face and headshave with very little touch up with my safety razor. However, I am so impressed with twelvefret taking the plunge in getting a straight razor with very little experience with a shavette that I decided to take the plunge. What tipped me over to the traditional straight razor was my confidence in doing well with the shavette in such a short time. Also, SRD is having 30% sale on all their products so I couldn't pass the deal. I bought a Dovo Special 5/8 hollow with faux tortoise for 99 dollars, down from 142 dollars and bought a latigo strop for $40 dollars down from $60. My total savings was approximately $60

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Been trying to use the Dovo Shavette for a week, every other day. No real nicks or cuts to speak of but I can't seem to keep the blade in place. I've lined up my half DE (Gillette Silver) with the notches, but on most passes I have to remove the red insert, remove the blade and re-align. What am I doing wrong?

You need to make sure that the ends of the insert are exactly flush before you put it in the razor. Squeeze the end of the insert closed and place in the razor. Use your free hand and place it on top of the insert so it doesn't go in crooked and misalign the blade. When you shave, if you press with a little pressure the blade can become dislodged so that the exposure lessens. Also, if you don't frequently rinse the blade, then that could also cause the blade misalignment because too much soap can move the blade. Good luck!

Top Bottom