What's new

First Try With A Shavette

Today marks my eighth shave with the Feather SS folding shavette. While I've yet to draw more than a weeper, my chin area takes my several minutes and prefer two passes and then the detail work.

Today was the first shave where I did not use a safety razor. I just took my time. My face feels good.

You mean to tell me that you only have 12 shaves with a DE blade shavette and you going to jump to a SR! You are one brave soul!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You mean to tell me that you only have 12 shaves with a DE blade shavette and you going to jump to a SR! You are one brave soul!
Actually, many find that a traditional straight is more forgiving than a 1/2-DE blade shavette. I know that I do!

I sure will triggerone, if I live
As others have said, you've done the hard part starting with a shavette (like I did). A real straight will feel like a Tech by comparison.

I started with a Weck Sextoblade, which is probably the least beginner-friendly razor on the planet.

As others have said, you've done the hard part starting with a shavette (like I did). A real straight will feel like a Tech by comparison.

I started with a Weck Sextoblade, which is probably the least beginner-friendly razor on the planet.
I’ve tried to develop the ability to feel the blade first then proceed. If there is any hesitation it tells me the angle is wrong.

Another problem I have is to see and area I am not shave and move there quickly . I’ve learned this is a accident waiting to happen. All this started with the Barbasol Floating Head and GEM Micromatic. I employ this focus with the Feather now. Hopefully these same skills will serve me when I use the straight .

Ok, Twelvefret has inspired me to get to my 6th shave sooner than my rotation schedule allows with my Dovo shavette. Again, made two passes, WTG and ATG. I got a tiny nick under my chin because the blade moved within the insert, so technically not my fault. Anyway, I had to open it and reinsert the blade so more of it would be exposed. This time it was a DFS because I used my DE razor to clean up and it was so quick because there wasn't much to clean. Went out and came back home later in the evening. It has been 2 days since my last headshave and didn't want to wait until tomorrow so I decided for the first time to use my shavette on my head. Now, I only did the sides and not the back. I got a tiny nick and that was it. I used my DE to complete the headshave. I do 3 passes and obviously, I wasn't going to do it with my shavette. However, thank you twelvefret because you encouraged my to take a step forward to start shaving my head with my Dovo shavette.

Ok, Twelvefret has inspired me to get to my 6th shave sooner than my rotation schedule allows with my Dovo shavette. Again, made two passes, WTG and ATG. I got a tiny nick under my chin because the blade moved within the insert, so technically not my fault. Anyway, I had to open it and reinsert the blade so more of it would be exposed. This time it was a DFS because I used my DE razor to clean up and it was so quick because there wasn't much to clean. Went out and came back home later in the evening. It has been 2 days since my last headshave and didn't want to wait until tomorrow so I decided for the first time to use my shavette on my head. Now, I only did the sides and not the back. I got a tiny nick and that was it. I used my DE to complete the headshave. I do 3 passes and obviously, I wasn't going to do it with my shavette. However, thank you twelvefret because you encouraged my to take a step forward to start shaving my head with my Dovo shavette.

Good for you, my friend. :a14:

Hi everyone! I just finished my eighth shave with my Dovo shavette. I had used it on a 1 day stubble. Well here is my report this evening. I did WTG, XTG, and ATG on my face, chin, upper lip and neck for the very first time and achieved this without any nicks or weepers. The end result was a DFS. I missed small areas on my neck and cleaned it up with my safety razor which took 5 seconds so that it became a BBS shave. My only criticism about my shave would be that my technique still needs to improve because sometimes my shavette doesn't always glide on my face. However, I think it was because my lather wasn't rich and creamy. However, I am quite pleased with the results of this shave. Although I am a newbie with using a shavette, I am encouraged with my progress in my first 8 shaves and looking to more enjoyable shavette shaves in the future.

My only criticism about my shave would be that my technique still needs to improve because sometimes my shavette doesn't always glide on my face. However, I think it was because my lather wasn't rich and creamy.
An often used rule of thumb is it takes about 100 shaves to become proficient with a straight, so at only 8 shaves, you're right that your technique needs to improve. Proficiency could come at 50 shaves, or 150 shaves, or never. Don't worry about it and just enjoy the journey. In general, every shave will be better than the last. Setbacks will happen too - learn from them.

Hi everyone! I just finished my eighth shave with my Dovo shavette. I had used it on a 1 day stubble. Well here is my report this evening. I did WTG, XTG, and ATG on my face, chin, upper lip and neck for the very first time and achieved this without any nicks or weepers. The end result was a DFS. I missed small areas on my neck and cleaned it up with my safety razor which took 5 seconds so that it became a BBS shave. My only criticism about my shave would be that my technique still needs to improve because sometimes my shavette doesn't always glide on my face. However, I think it was because my lather wasn't rich and creamy. However, I am quite pleased with the results of this shave. Although I am a newbie with using a shavette, I am encouraged with my progress in my first 8 shaves and looking to more enjoyable shavette shaves in the future.
Congratulations.

Wow! I love the challenge of shaving with my Dovo shavette. I just had my ninth shave and did my face and my head for the first time. I shave my head by feel and no mirrors. The challenge is that you can not see the angle when doing the back of your head. Well, I did just one head pass and touch up as much as I could. I did not nick my head, but the shave was ok. So, I finished with my DE safety razor, zip zip and I got the closest shave ever in the 10 years of doing my head. Funny, if I just use the safety razor alone, then I get a BBS shave, but the combo of both my shavette and safety razor was so much better. Now, I shaved my face and got a tiny nick on my chin. Go figure. Anyway, great shave for both head and face, albeit with the safety razor minor cleanup.

I shaved with a straight for quite a while. Then I got really busy with working away and migrated to AC and DE blade shavettes. I found it was a bit of a learning curve but then I mastered it as well. Now that I have time and am back on "traditional" straights I find that I am even better due to technique that the less forgiving shavettes forced me to learn. I am also more demanding of the quality of my straight razor edge. The slightest dulling is now unacceptable as I know what a really sharp edge feels like.
So to make a long story short I think we could all benefit from what shavettes have to teach us.

I shaved with a straight for quite a while. Then I got really busy with working away and migrated to AC and DE blade shavettes. I found it was a bit of a learning curve but then I mastered it as well. Now that I have time and am back on "traditional" straights I find that I am even better due to technique that the less forgiving shavettes forced me to learn. I am also more demanding of the quality of my straight razor edge. The slightest dulling is now unacceptable as I know what a really sharp edge feels like.
So to make a long story short I think we could all benefit from what shavettes have to teach us.
I can see me going back to my old friends as time goes on. Right now the stropping is fun, but not sure that will always be the case. So, glad I got the Feather SS.

Top Bottom