What's new

First time with Voskhod blades and wow

Admittedly I like razors on aggressive setting and I have been trying to make my parker variant work for me with different blades.

I was getting so so results from my go to Indian Blacks. I like Polsilvers too but haven’t tried in Variant yet.

I came across offer for 100 Voskhods @ $10 shipped and just ordered them on a whim. Had my first shave with a Voskhod today and first time I could dial up the Variant all the way up to point 4 for an ATG pass. Never happened with any other blade before and I was driving the razor like I am reading the Tulip chart upside down on Pike Peak race.

Very smooth blade with zero irritation for me and now I have a fallback for those shaves in hurry but I wonder those of you who use Vskhods almost exclusively, how do you rate these against Rapiras/Ladas from Mostochlegmash factory?

Particularly interested in stacking Voskhod against a Gillette Silver Blue given both are PTFE coated and blade are suppose to go sharp as coating wears off. I am eying GSB for a good while now.

For how many shaves you can push the voskhod? I have sensitive skin and tough beard and Polsilvers tops at 6 shaves for me.

I've used a Voskhod blade three or four times. I also like a more aggressive razor (I use plate 5 on my Rockwell 6C, used setting 5 on the Rex Ambassador when I had it as part of the pass around and I have my Ming Shi 2000 set up to mimic the Futur), but I couldn't get a decent feel for the blade on the against the grain pass. Perhaps I need to work on my prep a little more to soften the whiskers a bit more.

They are a decent blade for me, but not in my top tier. So far, the best blade I've found is a Polsilver. GSB works great for me in a Slim.

I've gone almost two weeks on a Vokshod in a NEW LC so far in OCtober...no complaints. Smooth, sharp, comfortable, and long lasting.

I tried Voshkod a few weeks ago. The first shave was excellent. The second shave was good. The third shave was rough. All in the same razor and using the same soap.

I will be running a test and I will re-test Voshkod. Currently, in my UK Aristocrat razor, I have had 8 shaves with a Personna Lab blade. After that blade is tossed I will try another Voshkod in the same razor and see how that goes. I was very surprised that my first experience with that blade went from an excellent, smooth shave to a rough one in just three uses. I hope it was just that one blade.

Admittedly I like razors on aggressive setting and I have been trying to make my parker variant work for me with different blades.

I was getting so so results from my go to Indian Blacks. I like Polsilvers too but haven’t tried in Variant yet.

I came across offer for 100 Voskhods @ $10 shipped and just ordered them on a whim. Had my first shave with a Voskhod today and first time I could dial up the Variant all the way up to point 4 for an ATG pass. Never happened with any other blade before and I was driving the razor like I am reading the Tulip chart upside down on Pike Peak race.

Very smooth blade with zero irritation for me and now I have a fallback for those shaves in hurry but I wonder those of you who use Vskhods almost exclusively, how do you rate these against Rapiras/Ladas from Mostochlegmash factory?

Particularly interested in stacking Voskhod against a Gillette Silver Blue given both are PTFE coated and blade are suppose to go sharp as coating wears off. I am eying GSB for a good while now.

For how many shaves you can push the voskhod? I have sensitive skin and tough beard and Polsilvers tops at 6 shaves for me.

Give the GSB a try (as they would get my vote over the Voskhods)! I also like Polsilvers and Wizamet SI (which may be the same blades).

I had a second shave with Voskhod and I agree with ackvil's observation about how the blade performs. My first shave was very comfortable but I will not call it very efficient in terms of passes required. Second shave was comfortable but it wasn't sharp since I was expecting the coating to wear out and somehow make the blade sharp.

Indian Blacks and Polsilvers were my go to in a razor before variant. Indian Gillette Greens and Black Plats were just meh. I tried Zorrik Steels and Gillette Wilkinson that turned out just terrible and felt like I am shaving with glass shreds. SuperMax were just ok but nothing great about them.

With almost every blade falling by wayside in Variant I am just dreading to use Polsilvers in variant and hoping they work. I have GSB and Nacets on the way as I am sure I will eventually work through 100 Voskhods I bought but I was hoping them to be bit more sharp; which I think they are just not going to be when I shave 3rd time.

Good to know that Polsilver and GSB are getting equal love by those who use Voskhod sometime. I think Voskhod in aggressive Fatip should pair well in long run.

I find the Rapira SS and Platinum Lux to be sharper, smoother and more durable than the Voskhod. I can get 5 or 6 shaves from the Rapiras where I can only get two from a Voskhod. My favorite blade in a medium or aggressive razor is the Gillette Platinum made in St. Petersburg. IMO it is one of the best currently manufactured blades.

I am a believer in Voskhod blades. You want really good shaves with them, use 'em twice and get rid of the blade. Install a new Voskhod and continue the process.

You can push them to 3 or 4 shaves. I have read that they actually improve on the 5th shave. That didn't seem to work for me.

They are the smoothest DE blades, and are sharp enough.

I tried Voshkod a few weeks ago. The first shave was excellent. The second shave was good. The third shave was rough. All in the same razor and using the same soap.

This was my experience as well. The third, fourth and fifth blade in the tuck were discarded after shave 2.

My preference is for the St. Petersburg blades with GSBs and Nacets first.

Voshkods are a nice smooth blade but not sharp or long lasting. But the are super cheap and my go to blade fir daily use. I also love Polsilvers, they are probably my favorite blade.

The Voskhod is the exclusive blade for my NEW SC and DE89. That combo gives me the smoothest shave in my rotation/collection. Only my HD500 rivals that smooth of a shave.

I just finished a two week (seven shave) run on a Vokshod in my NEW SC, and could not agree more.
Started this week with a fresh one in my Grande; still efficient but not nearly as smooth.

Gents:
Hmmm...my 'go-to' blade
proxy.php

Why Voskhod of course! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Dа...Время от времени, лезвие может быть между фокусами и изумление". Aнонимный (Translation...“Yes...at times, a razor blade can be between gimmickry and amazement". Anonymous

LOL; they were more go to 'blank' for me. But that is one of the charms of this hobby.

Right now Polisilver, Gillette yellow, and Gillette Platinum are in the rotation, and I PIF'd the Voskhods.

In a different razor the "V" might be perfect.

Just tired out a Voskhod for the first time (thanks to a PIF from cw62803) and was pleasantly surprised. Super smooth and forgiving blade. Smooth as a Derby extra, but actually cuts. Still not super efficient for me, but got to BBS with with a little extra touch up. To be fair, I was using a Maggard V3 head which is hardly aggressive. Definitely a great beginner's blade, head-shaving blade, and sensitive skin blade. I shaved both the head and face and only got the slightest tug in the final touch up... so definitely good for 2 face shaves. I'll definitely keep a tuck or two in the quiver.

I bought 100 of them after trying some out in a sampler and used them occasionally, though never for more than 2 shaves. After reading the review of the Voskhod on refinedshave.com I decided to give them another go. I just did my 5th shave on one (in a Rockwell 6S, plate 3), and so far it's great--3 pass BBS with no irritation or discomfort. Give the coating a chance to wear off and it's a great blade, and it's not bad while the coating's still there.

For me, they are fantastic for the first shave, excellent for the second, good for the third and horrible for the fourth. I have tried two different Voskhods in my UK Aristocrat razor. Today I attempted to get a fourth out of it - for the second time - but the blade would not cut my whiskers and I had to put in a new blade.

Top Bottom