What's new

First time with the dreaded R41

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Never used an R41 in all my years doing this. I am an experienced shaver with self proclaimed good technique. 🤪 I was a mild razor guy for a long time. But the last couple of years I discovered steep angle shaving and have been using ever increasingly aggressive razors. I can now use a Charcoal Goods Level 3 or a Slim on 9 every now and then without going to the hospital. And I love the R89. So curiosity got me. I saw a kit of R41 hardware in the BST and picked it up. I got a couple of handles, two ‘13 R41 baseplates, one ‘13 cap, a Yintal bronze, and the spitfire cap. I had been researching the R41 for a while, so for my first shave I grabbed one baseplate, and a SLOC top cap from my stash, which was said to be a good combo. I also used a Weber Classic handle, which is my favorite handle for the DE89. I gave it a spin with some Seville (slick stuff) and an Astra SP. I went steep the whole way. The shave was pretty good. No real blood was spilled. I had a little bit of irritation on the neck after applying some aftershave. But not much, and it was short lived. The shave was nice and close. As near to a bbs as I can get. I’m still pretty smooth 11 hours later. But not as smooth as I would be at this point with a Wolfman or Charcoal Goods. So it wasn’t mind blowing. And it wasn’t a blood bath. But it was a decent and enjoyable shave. Not scary at all. I shave with a Feather Artist Club from time to time, so how much more aggressive can the R41 be than that? 😎 I will test the other caps and hardware combos, and other blades, over the next few weeks and post here. Enjoy!

1A53089F-5202-417E-B455-175A4D2A34AB.jpeg

Very nice, but I'm surprised you didn't just go with the standard R41 to see how it is before modifying it. Honestly, it's not that scary of a razor despite the reputation, especially when you shave with a steep angle. Compared to the AC it's not that bad at all, you just have to be mindful and you can have a blood-free and irritation-free shave.

The one great thing about the R41 is that it really takes down your beard fast.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Never used an R41 in all my years doing this. I am an experienced shaver with self proclaimed good technique. 🤪 I was a mild razor guy for a long time. But the last couple of years I discovered steep angle shaving and have been using ever increasingly aggressive razors. I can now use a Charcoal Goods Level 3 or a Slim on 9 every now and then without going to the hospital. And I love the R89. So curiosity got me. I saw a kit of R41 hardware in the BST and picked it up. I got a couple of handles, two ‘13 R41 baseplates, one ‘13 cap, a Yintal bronze, and the spitfire cap. I had been researching the R41 for a while, so for my first shave I grabbed one baseplate, and a SLOC top cap from my stash, which was said to be a good combo. I also used a Weber Classic handle, which is my favorite handle for the DE89. I gave it a spin with some Seville (slick stuff) and an Astra SP. I went steep the whole way. The shave was pretty good. No real blood was spilled. I had a little bit of irritation on the neck after applying some aftershave. But not much, and it was short lived. The shave was nice and close. As near to a bbs as I can get. I’m still pretty smooth 11 hours later. But not as smooth as I would be at this point with a Wolfman or Charcoal Goods. So it wasn’t mind blowing. And it wasn’t a blood bath. But it was a decent and enjoyable shave. Not scary at all. I shave with a Feather Artist Club from time to time, so how much more aggressive can the R41 be than that? 😎 I will test the other caps and hardware combos, and other blades, over the next few weeks and post here. Enjoy!

View attachment 1276882

That combination looks so cool..... :cool:

Having tried it during the Frankenrazor experiments, it works together really well. :)

This would be a great kit to post on the High Efficiency June thread. ;)

Congrats! The R41's reputation is a bit exaggerated, both the efficiency and the aggressiveness imo. It's not a magical wand that takes everything off in one pass. But it's also not a butcher's knife, not even close to it. The manual that came with the razor said to hold the razor 30 degrees to the face and that's what I do. I would just advise you not to go against the grain on your moustache, you will get cut, for sure.

As for blades, I tried the Astra SP and it gave me many tiny weepers on the neck. In my experience, a great learning blade for the R41 is Shark SS, as well as the German Wilkinson's. Then move forward to either Lord Platinum or Rapira Platinum, which are both smooth and sharp. And for God's sake don't put Ladas in it, it will eat your face.

Congrats! The R41's reputation is a bit exaggerated, both the efficiency and the aggressiveness imo. It's not a magical wand that takes everything off in one pass. But it's also not a butcher's knife, not even close to it.
Agree - the R41's reputation is exaggerated. Maybe the lingering reputation of the 2011 model when it was first introduced, which was quite a bit more efficient/aggressive than the current design. I know I am a bit of an outlier when it comes to aggressive razors (I like them a lot), but I shaved in part with a R41 GS this morning with a fresh Persona Platinum blade (first time using this brand) and it felt very mild for my personal taste. Normally, I like Feather yellow label blades in it.

Mine is a second generation R41. I don't use it much as I much prefer the H1 Kronos
Can someone explain the generations? I did some digging in the forums, and it seems there were 2 old versions designed by other companies (pre 2008 by Fatip, 2009 by Merkur) followed by the 2011 version designed by Muhle, then the revised 2013 version that is still sold today.

Can someone explain the generations? I did some digging in the forums, and it seems there were 2 old versions designed by other companies (pre 2008 by Fatip, 2009 by Merkur) followed by the 2011 version designed by Muhle, then the revised 2013 version that is still sold today.
I didn't start following the R41 saga until the 2011 model was released, but here is my understanding:

circa 2008-2010 Muhle sold a razor called the R41 made by Fatip that was completely different than the later versions. I've never seen this razor before.

2011 Muhle release a revised version of the R41 (which I will refer to as the 2011 model). It has pretty significant blade exposure and a top cap that measures about 18.8mm wide. When people say Gen 1, they are most likely referring to this model.

In late 2012 or thereabouts Muhle, without any fanfare or announcement, starts shipping a different version of the R41, which most call the 2013 version or Gen 2). It as a top cap that is something like 20.2mm wide which really decreases the blade exposure. They may have also made some tweaks to the dimensions of the baseplate.

2021 Muhle releases the 10th anniversary addition in stainless steel (the GS), but the dimensions are actually about the same as the Gen 2/2013 version, even though that model is only about 8 or 9 years old...

These pics are not great but they may help illustrate:
2011/Gen 1 Version:
2011 R41 top (2).JPG

2013/Gen 2 Version:
2013 R41 top (2).JPG

I believe also that the old video from Mantic59 - Sharpologist has contributed a lot to the scary legend of R41.

The video is really funny and the horror film reference is priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Today I used the R41 with the stock cap as it was recommended above...

I recommend using the original topcap though. Get a week of everyday use under your belt and you'll be in love.

I went really steep with the angle. Felt a lot of blade chatter. But the shave was drama free. No blood. No irritation. Excellent results. Very near to BBS results. Software was Aloha Smackdown CK-6 and Star Jelly, which really provided the perfect canvas for this shave. The Star Jelly is the new version, and it is super soothing. My face feels amazing at the moment.

I will revisit another R41 Frankenrazor next. I just need to give some love to my new Wolfman first. I believe I will try the R41 Spitfire next week. Wish me luck!

2021-06-29 13.13.19.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Here is an R41 update. I have been shaving with the SLOC'ed R41 with great results. But the last two shaves were particularly good. We are having a challenge PIF with the brown box Lodz Polsilver Stainless. This blade is not hugely efficient, but it is so smooth that when you put it in a Tech you need to check to make sure the blade is installed. Its that smooth. The R41 is still quite a bit over my threshold for aggression and blade feel. Its got more of both than a CG Level 3. But it does a great job. So i can use it once every two or three weeks. I only shave every two or three days anyway. So today's shave was expecially great. The Nordost set is amazing as well. For the near future, I will make sure to use a mid-range super smooth blade in the R41. The results with that combo speak for themselves.

Also, as I suggested in my last post, I did try the SPITFIRE cap. I posted it in the High Efficiency thread back in July and I guess I forgot to post it here. It was quite a terrible shave. Massive blade chatter, weepers, etc. Not fun. You can read about that shave and see the SOTD photo here: R41 SPITFIRE Shave... Yuck!

But today's SOTD was great. Here is today's pic... Stay Smooth!!!

2021-08-20 11.11.12.jpg

I only shave every two or three days anyway
I think that’s the key to enjoy the R41. I bought one last year and used for 3 days in a row. Some of the best shaves of my life, really (despite the weird scraping feeling when shaving).
Then, boom, bumps and pimples started.

I haven’t used it since because I enjoy shaving more frequently, but if I shaved 2-3 times a week the R41 would be fantastic.

You should try the Mk1 Fatip if you haven’t. Shaves as close as the R41 for me (really 1 pass BBS) and much more comfortable.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
You should try the Mk1 Fatip if you haven’t. Shaves as close as the R41 for me (really 1 pass BBS) and much more comfortable.

Thanks for the info. I bought a shiny new Fatip Grande a few years back, and the quality was terrible. Bad finish. Horrible blade alignment. Bad shave results. I will never buy another Fatip product again. Even as tempting as the FOCS is, I have resisted getting it because the sour taste is still there.

Regarding the R41, I only use it one every two or three weeks. I have so many better razors that I cant justify using it more. But the shave results and the experience of massive amounts of blade feel every once in while put a lot of things into perspective. So for now, i am very intrigued by the R41, and all the Frankenrazoring that goes on with it. So it will stay in the top tier rotation for the time being.

Thanks for the info. I bought a shiny new Fatip Grande a few years back, and the quality was terrible. Bad finish. Horrible blade alignment. Bad shave results. I will never buy another Fatip product again. Even as tempting as the FOCS is, I have resisted getting it because the sour taste is still there.

Regarding the R41, I only use it one every two or three weeks. I have so many better razors that I cant justify using it more. But the shave results and the experience of massive amounts of blade feel every once in while put a lot of things into perspective. So for now, i am very intrigued by the R41, and all the Frankenrazoring that goes on with it. So it will stay in the top tier rotation for the time being.
The FOCS and current production Fatip are gentle compared to the old ones (commonly referred to as Mk1)… The old Fatips are harder to find. but I get your point. Many folks get turned down by Fatip’s QC, despite being a $20 artisan-made razor fully in brass

Top Bottom