What's new

First time with Tabac a disappointment

So I've been using creams pretty well the last few weeks as I've been working through a Truefitt & Hill sampler.
I've also touched on the Body Shop Mac Root, and samples of Trumpers.
That being said I think I've got a decent sense of what works and what doesn't.

I've read good things about Tabac in general here.
Seem like the smell is a love it or hate it thing.

All in all it was ok, but I was hoping for more than just a shrug and a 'meh.'

Seems it didn't lather too well, and it was a little thin compared to the others I've tried. Perhaps it needs more cream to lather up well in comparison, but I used a decent almond sized amount as I always do.
The smell out of the jar was odd, but not bad.
Strangely though it changed a bit once it lathered up, and I found my nose wrinkling a bit at times.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Is this cream a little more needy than others?

I got a sample from a good friend. It was enough for three or four shaves. In the end like many, my thoughts were simply, meh.

I haven't checked the ingredients, but these seem to be two very different products. I love the soap, which produces a wonderful slick, rich creamy lather that provides a very close, comfortable shave. The lather from the cream, on the other hand, as others have said seems very mediocre. Also, I enjoy superlathers occasionally, but the Tabac soap/cream superlather doesn't seem to be better than the soap alone, and maybe even not as good.

I had the same reaction with Tabac Soap. But after some time setting in the shave cabinet, I got it out again and really loved it. Maybe, you should give it another try.

Good to hear a postive report! Is it easy to lather for you? ...

Yes, it's very easy for me to lather the Tabac SC. I've always used a generous snurdle of whatever cream I'm using. I've never felt an almond-sized amount is enough. Perhaps that the difference?!?

Strange...

I use the cream.
And whereas I am not fond of the smell, I must admit that the cream lathers like crazy and provides good cushion.

I put the cream into the brush directly and facelather.
Bit more than the almond size indeed.

Give it another try.

And then go to VintageScent and get yourself some Veleiro ;-)

I've read good things about Tabac in general here.
About the soap you've read good things. Don't confuse it with the cream.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Yes, the stuff is B-quality at best. It looks like the lather is fine, but when I shave with it it feels unplesanly 'crisp' for some reason (if that makes any sense). It is probably possible to get a decent shave out of this product, but why bother when a) better creams exist, and b) the soap is so much better too?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I haven't tried the cream but I'm not a huge fan of the soap. I get ok-good lather out of it but the scent is meh...

You might need more than an almond size...

Top Bottom