What's new

First time with Gillette Atra

I often see Gillette Atra blades for sale in drugstores and such and think they must be good to still be making cartridges for a system this old. Curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a Gillette Vector handle and a pack of Gillette Contour blades (Atra equivalent for Europe or somewhere).

I am happy to report my first shave was excellent! I can definitely see using this razor more along side my DE razors and it will most certainly become my travel razor when traveling by air. I've been looking for a good air travel razor with minimal blades. The Mach3 is too much like shaving with a paint brush and the Sensor Excel leaves my skin sand-like for some reason.

I am 64 years old and don't remember the Atra, I'm sure it was around but I don't seem to recall specifically using it. However, I don't recall much of the 70s and 80s anyway, but that is another story.

In any case, this old dog has learned a new trick.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I often see Gillette Atra blades for sale in drugstores and such and think they must be good to still be making cartridges for a system this old. Curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a Gillette Vector handle and a pack of Gillette Contour blades (Atra equivalent for Europe or somewhere).

I am happy to report my first shave was excellent! I can definitely see using this razor more along side my DE razors and it will most certainly become my travel razor when traveling by air. I've been looking for a good air travel razor with minimal blades. The Mach3 is too much like shaving with a paint brush and the Sensor Excel leaves my skin sand-like for some reason.

I am 64 years old and don't remember the Atra, I'm sure it was around but I don't seem to recall specifically using it. However, I don't recall much of the 70s and 80s anyway, but that is another story.

Got my Atra in 1987. Still use it for travel.

And it still provides excellent shaves. :)

Lately I find the Sensor Plus the closest of the cart systems, but the Atra is not far behind, a good system for me. Wonder what updated technology could do if some shave company decided to completely re-engineer the two blade, pivot system from the ground up? Would love to see it, but doubt it will ever happen.

Lately I find the Sensor Plus the closest of the cart systems, but the Atra is not far behind, a good system for me. Wonder what updated technology could do if some shave company decided to completely re-engineer the two blade, pivot system from the ground up? Would love to see it, but doubt it will ever happen.
You never know, look at the comeback DE shaving has done. :)

A hand-me-down Atra was my first razor.

I think it's just "ok". I'd rather use a Bic single blade disposable if I needed a travel option.

If I were still shaving with a cartridge, it would be the Atra. Got one free from Gillette when I got to college in 1980 and used one through 2014.

Every couple of years, I’d go searching for bulk blades on eBay. I recall a cartridge would last me a month of daily shaves. Last time I went looking, I found this website. The rest is wet shaving bliss.

An Atra was my first razor, bought new around 1985. It was my only razor for many years, until the Sensor came out and I “upgraded “. Unfortunately it was lost in a move 15 years ago. I’d still love to have it back if for nothing more than sentimental reasons.

Good dog!! :a14::a14::a14:

(Plus the Atra was one of my favorites during my cart days!)

Top Bottom