What's new

First time w/ a Feather blade

After not shaving all week (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103140) I finally felt better last night. Since I had a couple of days growth I decided to try a Feather blade last night. Tabac, D3 SS and four passes later all was well again:shaving:. I have to say that the shave was very smooth. For as much as I read about the Feather blades I was a little hesitant, but I took my time. I finished up w/ some Trumpers Sandalwood Skin Food. BBS w/ no irritation. Every time I try something successful w/ wet shaving I enjoy it that much more.:biggrin:

Feathers are excellent blades IMO.

My best shave is with 2 days growth, Tabac soap and a feather blade. BTBBS (Better Than BBS :biggrin:)

Another vote for Feather!!

Cheers

This certainly was a good shave considering I had three days growth. I'll use them again. I'm curious to see how they perform day to day. I might only use them for heavy growth shaves. Although, it might be worth it to use them daily if they last longer than two-three shaves. Most blades I can only get two shaves from. I've managed three from Astras and that's been the limit.

J

Jarmo P

Well, i have a Feather blade loaded to my Progress and also to my Tech. With Tech it was ok for the first day, second day felt a bit like it was taking too much skin away. So far the Progress dialed down is the only razor I will use them for now.

So I decided to put a Derby to my HD today and had a really nice shave. I know I would not have unirritation shave with a Feather blade. It is an YMMVY thing.

Got my first pack of Feathers in the mail today...Gunna give it a try! My hair grows thick and fast so I'm guessing its similar to the average two day shave of most. So much that while in the military if I didn't shave during my lunch break I would get questioned by the uppers if I had used My Id card to shave with that morning! lol this will be my fourth shave...wet style lol..but the derbys seem to just not be "cutting it" lol. Wish me luck...I have a medical team standing by...

So I decided to put a Derby to my HD today and had a really nice shave. I know I would not have unirritation shave with a Feather blade. It is an YMMVY thing.

Definitely a YMMV thing for sure. Derby's do not work for me.

Got my first pack of Feathers in the mail today...Gunna give it a try! My hair grows thick and fast so I'm guessing its similar to the average two day shave of most. So much that while in the military if I didn't shave during my lunch break I would get questioned by the uppers if I had used My Id card to shave with that morning! lol this will be my fourth shave...wet style lol..but the derbys seem to just not be "cutting it" lol. Wish me luck...I have a medical team standing by...

Good luck w/ the Feathers. Derby's do not work for me either.

Feather shave went amazingly well. A little irritation in my neck and just along th jaw line! I even Had my 81 Lh SuperAdj up to seven for an ATG pass.:w00t:Its a lot harder to learn the holds with that long handle upside down....but I'm sticking with it! I should have listen lol got a little confident and nicked my lip! Lol the feather did not hesitate to prove its quality! Styptic to the rescue!!! One question though...I noticed when removing the Blade from its wrapper it seemed to have a Waxy Substance that the Derbys did not. Does this heir to the Japanese culture of sealing envelopes or is this common in all blades?

After a lot of experimenting with razor/blade combos, I now reserve Feathers for my 39C Slant, and that is reserved for several days worth of stubble. When I use it, it gives me the best, closest shave of anything in my rotation, but alas, I can't use it every day.

Feathers are the most finicky of all the blades I've tried. I couldn't get them to work in any Gillette in my collection. And in my four different Merkurs that I actually shave with, it seems most at home in the Slanthammer, so that's where it goes.

My other optimum combos:
34G HD: Derby
Pure-gress: Astra-SP
Futur: Still undecided (currently Iridium Super)

And BTW, I get two shaves out of each brand of blade, including Feather. I can't think of any reason why I would want to stretch it beyond that.

just thought id say last night i took off 2 weeks of goattee growth (and almost the last inch of my pinky finger) last night using a fresh feather in my dovo shavette.

Thing i find with feathers (in my case) the more growth the better. They are unecessarily sharp for every day shaves, and give me irritation, but i keep em on hand for lining up the moustache and goatee, or taking off an exam/playoff beard.

If you like feathers, give bluebird blades a shot.

I may go back to the feathers..... some day

I used a feather early on and I had a great shave with it. Each shave there after got progressively worse. It was likely lack of experience. But ultimately by the 3rd shave the feather left me feeling raw. No cuts, or blood of any kind. Just feeling like i took a belt sander to my face.

I.M.O. the feather shaves a little too close. So close "my" skin doesn't have enough time to recover by the time i am ready to shave the next day. On the other hand Derby blades prove a good shave that's irritation free day after day.

Last edited:
Where can we find Bluebird blades?

Bear told me last night in the chat room Bluebird off of Ebay...and the seller ntguys is a B&B member.... around 20 for a hundred....BIN hope thats not against the rules to say... newb still dont want to cross any boundries

Bear told me last night in the chat room Bluebird off of Ebay...and the seller ntguys is a B&B member.... around 20 for a hundred....BIN hope thats not against the rules to say... newb still dont want to cross any boundries
No, you're fine. Its OK to talk about eBay, and even to discuss specific items.

The only prohibition is that you can't post a hyper-link to a live auction.

My best shave is with 2 days growth, Tabac soap and a feather blade. BTBBS (Better Than BBS :biggrin:)

My best-ever shaves have been 48 hours growth (skip a day which really takes some willpower for me!) with a Feather blade + MWF. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Just got my Tabac yesterday so haven't used it yet - but you bet I will try this combo soon.

Top Bottom