What's new

First time VDH user

Tried VDH soap for the first time last night. I am still learning to make the lather as in the tutorial given, but I was not overly impressed. I will give it a try some more, but I think I prefer creams to the soap. I cannot judge it yet, as I said, this was my first try. I also realize the soap was a extremely cheap soap, and I am sure results will vary on other soaps.:rolleyes:

Creams are easier to lather than soaps. I started out using just cheap soaps, slowly moved to all creams, and finally back to mostly using soaps. Try a good soap before giving up completely and read the soap lathering sticky posts at the top. As I learned to lather soaps, most of my problems came from not getting enough soap in the brush to begin with. The only VDH soap I have tried is the Deluxe and it is capable of producing good lather. There is also nothing wrong with staying with creams and coming back to soaps later.

I did try the techniques in the stickies above. I know my technique is not going to be perfect on the first try. So there are more tries in my future. Plus it is not in my nature to give up after one try. Plus I hear too many good things about other soaps, so until I try everything I wanted to try, I will not give up.

You should be able to get a good lather with VDH, whether it's the Deluxe, the Select, or the Glycerine. I have both the Deluxe and the Select, and they both lather great for me.

I use an Omega boar brush for them and I have never had a problem generating a great, cushioning, slick lather with these soaps.

You should be able to get a good lather with VDH, whether it's the Deluxe, the Select, or the Glycerine. I have both the Deluxe and the Select, and they both lather great for me.

I use an Omega boar brush for them and I have never had a problem generating a great, cushioning, slick lather with these soaps.

I have gotten great results with VDH, and it is one of my favorite products. I even love the scent!!

I would suspect the original poster's issue lies in not loading the brush with enough soap. VDH is a low cost product, don't be afraid to really load the brush, until all of the bristles are fully white with soap.

It could also be not enough water, or too much water: Soak your brush, and then give it a fairly rigorous shaking to remove excess water. It is far easier to ad additional water, than start out with a product that is already too wet.

Finally, I would do a few test lathers in a bowl. Lathering in a bowl is my preferred method, and might be beneficial while you learn lathering technique. Don't be gentle as you work the product in the bowl.

My first try on VDH gave me less than perfect results too; I had a very thin coating of soap on my face, that didn't at all resemble shaving cream. Keep trying, and you will get better.

Thanks Michiganlover, I beleive I did not load the brush properly either. Tomorrow morning I will be giving the soap another try. It was not a bad try, just unimpressive. I will use the complete puck up, and may buy another as a backup for future use.

Just when you think you've loaded your brush up with enough of the soap... Load some more on there. You shouldn't scrimp on the soap, especially with VDH, it's cheap!

Top Bottom