What's new

First time using Proraso soap

I picked up a container of the Proraso shave soap for coarse beards. I shaved with it for the first time the other day. I had never used it before but now I wonder why it took me so long. :facep:

proraso soap.jpg

I thought it was the red was advertised for coarse beards. I recall reading that on the shave forums anyway.

But like Jim99 I can't tell any difference between the red and green as far as performance goes.

I like both the green & red from Proraso. Consistently happy with the way the soap and aftershave leave my skin feeling after I'm done using them. Also like their scent unlike some products, that I liked at first. But after I'm 2\3rds through. I'm ready for something new.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats and welcome to the Proraso fold! Yes, it is excellent soap and I think rather underrated on this forum. Red is the one they advertise for coarse beards. White is for sensitive skin. Green is for, I don't know, menthol? Whatever. It all works fine for me. Red is not the same as Green, though. It has shea butter, which is a nice touch that I definitely notice. IMHO, Red smells the best too. Enjoy!

P.S. Don't sleep on the creams - the Blue and "Single Blade" creams are fantastic!

Isn't the red one for corase beard?
Btw, green one is amaizing soap
The Red has some shea butter and sandalwood oil. Works best in the Fall & Winter time. The coarse beard tag is just Marketing, I think. Anybody that likes the Green may like the Red if they like the scent.

I picked up a container of the Proraso shave soap for coarse beards. I shaved with it for the first time the other day. I had never used it before but now I wonder why it took me so long. :facep:

View attachment 1525309

To me, Proraso (green) is kind of a rite of passage.
Every safety/straight razor user should at least have tried it once.

I remember using it quite a bit when I first became interested in traditional (safety razor/straight) shaving, and until 2017 (when I retired from active flying) I still bought it sometimes on my then frequent trips to Italy.

It is a good shaving soap/cream - whatever you want to call it (I dislike the word “croap”, to me it sounds like someone died after throwing up first :concern: ), but it would be a pity to stop one’s search for the ideal shaving soap/cream right there.

Proraso is good, but it is not excellent - and IMO there are many products out there that are better (without breaking the bank).
I also developed a reaction to a Proraso pre-shave product, which makes me question the 91% natural claim (maybe it was in the other 9% ???) and prompted me to drop it from my rotation.

Admittedly, by virtue of the place we moved to after I retired, I have become Euro-centric, but think about the (reasonably priced) likes of La Toja, Mitchell’s Wool Fat (if your water is soft), Haslinger, Lavanda, Lea, Palmolive, or slightly more expensive D.R. Harris, Taylor’s of Old Bond Street (TOBS), Meißner Tremonina, Musgo Real, Antiga Barbearia de Bairro, and others…

There is a whole world of shaving soaps and creams out there, dare to explore it and enjoy what you may find on the way…

Good luck,

B.

Last edited:
I just had a 3 pass shave using my '51 Gillette Tech with a Wilkinson blade (2nd shave) and the Proraso soap. I love the cool feel it has on my face and it's so much better (obviously) than the canned Barbasol I was using before. I have not done a 3 pass shave in a while and I had no cuts, weepers or irritation whatsoever with this combination of Gillette razor and Proraso soap. I splashed some Skin Bracer on to finish off. :thumbsup:

I just had a 3 pass shave using my '51 Gillette Tech with a Wilkinson blade (2nd shave) and the Proraso soap. I love the cool feel it has on my face and it's so much better (obviously) than the canned Barbasol I was using before. I have not done a 3 pass shave in a while and I had no cuts, weepers or irritation whatsoever with this combination of Gillette razor and Proraso soap. I splashed some Skin Bracer on to finish off. :thumbsup:

If you like the “cool feel”, have you ever tried the Lea Menthol (or Myrsol K) shaving cream combined with Myrsol K (peppermint/menthol) after shave?
It helped me survive an unusual hot Portuguese summer this year.

As effective as I remember Proraso to be, but much more refined…

Try it, you might like it. :thumbup1:

B.

Hmmm... I don't know. It's advertised on the store website as for coarse beards. Is the green tub just the regular soap?

Two questions: Are you Canadian? 🇨🇦 If so, did you buy it at Shoppers Drug Mart?

They've listed Proraso Green as "For Coarse Beards" ever since they stopped carrying Proraso Red and merged the two listings. I sent an e-mail to customer service about it and was told they'd correct it. That was a couple of years ago, so who knows? :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you do have a Shoppers nearby, you might as well try the Proraso White, too! 😁

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I’ve heard that @Marco has tried Proraso Green and found it acceptable. That could just be an ugly rumor though…..
Marco has been using Proraso ever since starting his wet shaving experience, which means almost 30 years. The latest Green in Super Formula version is his all-time favourite shaving cream. He finds it absolutely fantastic in every way.

P.S. I know Marco very, very well...

I love my Proraso for sensitive skin! I bought it this summer and have used it exclusively, which has helped tremendously. Sometimes I want a stronger smell, but with sensitive skin, that can mess everything up.

Top Bottom