What's new

First time using Haslinger soap.

Haslinger makes some excellent soaps! Both the old Tallow formula as well as the newer Vegie base are both great performers. The scents are on the light side but Spa Sandalwood and Seaweed were the strongest of the ones I have tried so far.

Haslinger often gets overlooked due to the small sized puck plus some don't care for the lighter scents, but it is well worth trying IMO.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My personal opinion is that the latest tallow-free V2 are the finest Haslinger soaps ever made in terms of performance.

I've never had a bad experience with any Haslinger product. Just tried Meeresalgen a few weeks back and it was great. There's a lot of love in those little pucks!

Haslinger makes some excellent soaps! Both the old Tallow formula as well as the newer Vegie base are both great performers. The scents are on the light side but Spa Sandalwood and Seaweed were the strongest of the ones I have tried so far.

Haslinger often gets overlooked due to the small sized puck plus some don't care for the lighter scents, but it is well worth trying IMO.
I agree with this but think the Marigold is the strongest of the scents I've tried. I think the German is Ringenblummen (sp?) Performance, as with all Haslinger products, was great.

Since 'discovering' Haslinger, my interest in European soaps has been piqued. I recently picked up PdP No.63. I also have a sample of MdC. I like both, but prefer Haslinger base.

For a reality check, I used 3 different soaps from US artisans WK, DG, and B&M Reserve this week. Nope. I'll still continue to support them with AS and EdT purchases though.

Haslinger is easily as good as my favorite Stirling mutton base.

The vendor I got my Haslinger soap from sent me a picture of the back. It looks like I have the new version as Marco thought.

Soap.png

This soap is really good. I'm going to make a soap stick out of the next stick I have coming in on Monday.
'Alantic59' said "Haslinger can be used to make some awesome shave sticks." I can't wait to try it.

I agree with this but think the Marigold is the strongest of the scents I've tried. I think the German is Ringenblummen (sp?) Performance, as with all Haslinger products, was great.

Marigold is the most recent Haslinger to enter the den, new formula which is pretty darn good IMO. I really wish Marigold was strong since the scent is nice but can only detect a slight soapy floral scent. The Seaweed one smells like my grandma's bathroom back in the day complete with blue colored toilet paper with matching color padded toilet seat lol. It is weird how we perceive scents differently just like how Cilantro tastes like soap to some people, it proves how unique we all are when it comes to olfactory senses.

The Haslinger continues to impress. Huge window for hydration, very slick and creamy. Hard to screw it up. I have yet been able to add too much air. It just soaks up the water and slowly builds in volume with dense creaminess. Some of my super fatted soaps break down too easy and are difficult to get the right water/air/agitation ratio - the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Sensitiv is so easy to get right.

I had not used any Haslinger soaps in a couple of years. I had good luck with the performance of the soaps, but I wasn't happy with the scents I tried. This morning I opened a new puck of Aloe Vera that was a freebie with a new Shavemac brush. As others have said, it is a very light scent and the performance is outstanding.

Reactions: GNR

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Oh my goodness!! ♥️ I try not to jump to a conclusion on a soap until I have used it several times, I find my mind changes a bit as my experience with a product grows. I did, indeed, get a puck of the V2 Schafmilch from Amazon last month.

First, let me say that I think the whole tallow vs non-tallow thing is a ridiculous back and forth. There are outstanding, world-class soaps in either format we all know that. To say, "I only want to use tallow soaps," or "I only want to use non-tallow soaps," is to cut yourself off from some truly stellar performers.

That said, when a well-known and old-school soap goes through a MAJOR reformulation, like from tallow to non-tallow, there is often much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Tabac is the latest to have done that, and while the new soap is apparently a very good performer, the general consensus so far from those who used to use the old version and tried the new is that the former was superior.

Therefore, I am very, very glad I have never tried a tallow version of the Haslinger. My first outing with this was OK. I thought it was very good, but it did not make my Top Tier of soaps, but may have made it into my second tier of "Excellent". There was just no wow factor for me on our first dance. I decided I would revisit it later and decide. Such was my first experience with it that I was not motivated to come back to it for some weeks.

Because @Marco is such a soap connoisseur whose judgement I respect, I determined to really give this soap a shakeout. And to decide if it would, in fact, make it into my Top Tier, I shaved the last few days, in order, with some of my Top Tier soaps, Tabac (old), Mitchell's Wool Fat (new Top Tier member), and Noble Otter (also a new Top Tier member for me). Today, I took my time, used my beloved Omega Professional boar brush, and was extremely mindful during the shave, "present" is the word they like to use today, I think. I loaded it in my WMS pewter mug until it was just about where I wanted it, then took it to my face and gave it a good two minutes of work. :eek6: What was happening? Wow, what a great lather!

Very well-hydrated, and while I would not call this a low structure soap, like a B&M, neither is it a high structure soap like Tabac or The Fat. It's kind of in-between for me. It was dense, shiny and slick, but soft and stayed put where you left it, no bubbly stuff, no dissipating lather that's for sure. And slick ... not crazy slick like Cella or WMS, but certainly slick. Very close shave, and oh so comfortable, and my face feels awesome right now as I type this!

I am glad I experienced this as a virgin, without having tried the previous version. As of right now, this is solidly in the top of my Excellent category, but I plan to use it again tomorrow, because I have a feeling I may nudge it into my Top Tier after another use. Good gravy, this is good stuff!

Top Bottom