What's new

First time using Haslinger soap.

What is unique about "sensitiv"? What is it about it you like?

In addition to what Atlantic59 said, I've been gravitating to no/low scent soaps these days. I'd rather have the ability to add my own scent if I want. Some soaps, especially some US artisans, have way too much scent for my nose. I love strong AS and colognes to wear all day long (close to me, not obnoxious sillage), but during my shave, I just want to focus on the blade and razor. A drop of Tea Tree, Vetiver, or Lavender EO, or menthol (I love menthol) give off a subtle clean vibe I can enjoy without olfactory sensory overload. I don't want to shave with a cologne.

Like you, I just recently picked up the Haslinger. It's going head to head with my desert island soap, Stirling Sheep. I like how the Haslinger can accommodate different lathering techniques/brushes and allows you to create/tweak soap structure and hydration to personal preferences. Like Stirling, it offers a wide window for preferences/techniques to develop a great lather.

Yes, though some vendors are still selling the older stock. Here are the ingredients for the most recent Aloe Vera, for example:

View attachment 1284037

Thanks for confirming! I was shopping on Smallflower and noticed some Haslinger soap ingredients were listed with palm oil and not coconut oils. Sounds like Haslinger scents are on the mellower side. Aloe Vera and the rest of their scent offerings sound like they're up my alley.

IMG_20210619_135651211.jpg

The 60g Haslinger puck fits perfectly in my L'Occitane soap bowl, allowing plenty of room for brush loading. The L'Occitane dish is nestled in a water bowl for soaking brush and dipping tips, and the water bowl is nestled in a Sori Yanagi lathering bowl. It's like a Russian doll and saves on counter space.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The v2 reformulation of Haslinger's other shaving soaps uses the basic Sensitiv formula for all of the other varieties. Sensitiv was like the first v2 Haslinger.

That is correct, Sir. And the Sensitiv was so succesful that they decided to use the upgraded V2 formula on the entire range of shaving soaps.

In the V2 formulation I currently own Aloe Vera, Honig and Ringelblumen. Scent aside, they all perform (amazingly) the same.

Correct, I use a puck exclusively start to finish.

I joined BigJ in a year of Haslinger challenge a while back and it was the best year of lathers of my life.

+1! Those little pucks perform and there are plenty of scent options!! :a29:

+1! Those little pucks perform and there are plenty of scent options!! :a29:

That year we spent using Haslinger exclusively was a real eye opener for me. When I'm done cleaning out my stash of soap I will likely go 100% Haslinger and just change scent once in a while for some variety.

That year we spent using Haslinger exclusively was a real eye opener for me. When I'm done cleaning out my stash of soap I will likely go 100% Haslinger and just change scent once in a while for some variety.

Sir, you have GREAT TASTE!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The v2 reformulation of Haslinger's other shaving soaps uses the basic Sensitiv formula for all of the other varieties. Sensitiv was like the first v2 Haslinger.
That is correct, Sir. And the Sensitiv was so succesful that they decided to use the upgraded V2 formula on the entire range of shaving soaps.

In the V2 formulation I currently own Aloe Vera, Honig and Ringelblumen. Scent aside, they all perform (amazingly) the same.

I didn't realise there were two non-tallow versions of Haslinger soap. Does anyone happen to know approximately what year they made that change?

I've only used tallow versions of their soaps: Seaweed and Honey. Both are fantastic.

Last edited:
This Haslinger Aloe Vera soap is fantastic. I've used the puck twice now and I can see it is a great performer. I was going cut up the puck and make a stick out of most of it. (I like soap sticks the best.) But I am enjoying this puck so much I decided to leave the puck as is and buy another puck to make a soap stick. This could be my new favorite soap.

I bought my Haslinger Aloe Vera soap a few days ago from Smallflower. Can I assume this is the new non-tallow formula???

It should be. Are you able to post a photo of the ingredients list, Sir?

I have the list of ingredients I got from the site where I bought it.

potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium tallowate, aqua (water), aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, parfum, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, potassium cocoate, sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, glycerine, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, Cl 77492, bencyl salicylat, eugenol, hydroxycitronellal, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool .

Great soap but it seems not many vendors carry it. Not a big selection. But I'm very happy with my Aloe Vera.
You can order from vendors in Europe or the UK. The price is much lower, around $4.50 per puck usually. If you buy enough pucks at the same time, the shipping cost is not too bad.

I bought my Haslinger Aloe Vera soap a few days ago from Smallflower. Can I assume this is the new non-tallow formula???

potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium tallowate, aqua (water), aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, parfum, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, potassium cocoate, sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, glycerine, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, Cl 77492, bencyl salicylat, eugenol, hydroxycitronellal, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool .

It looks like you've got tallow in the ingredient list, so I'm guessing it's the old formula.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Most likely they simply have the old tallow ingredients list on their site. What you posted is the tallow version.

Again, the easiest and quickest thing to do is send them an e-mail and ask to attach a photo of the ingredients list from the current stock.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I didn't realise there were two non-tallow versions of Haslinger soap. Does anyone happen to know approximately what year they made that change?

I've only used tallow versions of their soaps: Seaweed and Honey. Both are fantastic.

V2 should be 2020, or 2021.

I think it's just an out-of-date photo from the Smallflower website. The tallow formula has been gone for a few years now.

FWIW, I picked up a puck of Haslinger Honig this past January that turned out to be the old tallow formula (unfortunately I can't remember exactly where from, it might have been Pasteur Pharmacy).

I’ve 3017 tallow and non tallow pucks of Haslinger. It is clear to me that Haslinger cares about its customers and cares about its reputation as they made sure they got the new formula right. The new formula is every bit as good as the tallow version.

Haslinger remains one of the finest shaving soaps on the market. I’ve used every variety of Haslinger and they are all excellent. Many shavers gravitate towards Shafmilch but I would highly recommend all of the other flavors as well. Aloe and sage are a couple personal favorites of mine. Oh, I like their take on sandalwood as well. Also seaweed. Heck try em all. Don’t let the small puck size fool you. Its a condensed soap and a little goes a long way. Just remember to use a lot of water when building the lather.
Does the aloe vera have an aloe vera scent? similar to TOBS Aloe Vera? or is it just included in the formulation?

Does the aloe vera have an aloe vera scent? similar to TOBS Aloe Vera? or is it just included in the formulation?

Ive never tried TOBS aloe Vera so I can’t compare, but I think Haslinger Aloe has a light “Aloeish” scent. I suspect it’s not as strong as TOBS but maybe someone that has used both products could provide feedback.

For what its worth, I quite like the scent of Haslinger aloe, it’s a light..green scent.

Top Bottom