What's new

First time using Haslinger soap.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Oh my goodness!! ♥️ I try not to jump to a conclusion on a soap until I have used it several times, I find my mind changes a bit as my experience with a product grows. I did, indeed, get a puck of the V2 Schafmilch from Amazon last month.

First, let me say that I think the whole tallow vs non-tallow thing is a ridiculous back and forth. There are outstanding, world-class soaps in either format we all know that. To say, "I only want to use tallow soaps," or "I only want to use non-tallow soaps," is to cut yourself off from some truly stellar performers.

That said, when a well-known and old-school soap goes through a MAJOR reformulation, like from tallow to non-tallow, there is often much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Tabac is the latest to have done that, and while the new soap is apparently a very good performer, the general consensus so far from those who used to use the old version and tried the new is that the former was superior.

Therefore, I am very, very glad I have never tried a tallow version of the Haslinger. My first outing with this was OK. I thought it was very good, but it did not make my Top Tier of soaps, but may have made it into my second tier of "Excellent". There was just no wow factor for me on our first dance. I decided I would revisit it later and decide. Such was my first experience with it that I was not motivated to come back to it for some weeks.

Because @Marco is such a soap connoisseur whose judgement I respect, I determined to really give this soap a shakeout. And to decide if it would, in fact, make it into my Top Tier, I shaved the last few days, in order, with some of my Top Tier soaps, Tabac (old), Mitchell's Wool Fat (new Top Tier member), and Noble Otter (also a new Top Tier member for me). Today, I took my time, used my beloved Omega Professional boar brush, and was extremely mindful during the shave, "present" is the word they like to use today, I think. I loaded it in my WMS pewter mug until it was just about where I wanted it, then took it to my face and gave it a good two minutes of work. :eek6: What was happening? Wow, what a great lather!

Very well-hydrated, and while I would not call this a low structure soap, like a B&M, neither is it a high structure soap like Tabac or The Fat. It's kind of in-between for me. It was dense, shiny and slick, but soft and stayed put where you left it, no bubbly stuff, no dissipating lather that's for sure. And slick ... not crazy slick like Cella or WMS, but certainly slick. Very close shave, and oh so comfortable, and my face feels awesome right now as I type this!

I am glad I experienced this as a virgin, without having tried the previous version. As of right now, this is solidly in the top of my Excellent category, but I plan to use it again tomorrow, because I have a feeling I may nudge it into my Top Tier after another use. Good gravy, this is good stuff!

John, actually the current Haslinger soaps have been renamed V2 because this is their SECOND REFORMULATION to a tallow-free version. So, to put things in chronological order we have:

1. Tallow version
2. V1 (Fist tallow-free version)
3. V2 (Second and current tallow-free version).

I've been using Haslinger soaps for many, many years now and used all versions made. To me, the latest V2 is the finest of them all.

P.S. In addition to the flagship Schafmilch, another Haslinger soap that I really love is Honig (Honey). This one seems to fly under the radar here, but I assure you that it is terrific. :yesnod:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Today was my first time using Haslinger (v2) in any form. Thanks to @Marco glowing reviews, I added a puck of Schafmilch to a Pasteur order to avoid shipping costs. Thankful I did, as this slippery lather bomb yielded a beautiful shave and a moisturized face for the rest of the day. A unique observation: as I gently squeezed water from my Zenith boar, I noticed the knot was much softer. Soft as a murmur. Soft as a clear conscience.

More shaves are needed before deciding where Haslinger will rank on my list of soaps. But I was so impressed that I am already scouting for a dedicated container for this Austrian gem.

5ACD6BB8-7AF7-4EE9-B8A7-EF1AA8267B4B.jpeg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Today was my first time using Haslinger (v2) in any form. Thanks to @Marco glowing reviews, I added a puck of Schafmilch to a Pasteur order to avoid shipping costs. Thankful I did, as this slippery lather bomb yielded a beautiful shave and a moisturized face for the rest of the day. A unique observation: as I gently squeezed water from my Zenith boar, I noticed the knot was much softer. Soft as a murmur. Soft as a clear conscience.

More shaves are needed before deciding where Haslinger will rank on my list of soaps. But I was so impressed that I am already scouting for a dedicated container for this Austrian gem.

View attachment 1343499

Doug, I've been so impressed by my own glowing praise that I had to buy a new puck of Schafmilch for myself! :lol:

P.S. Amazon.it has the Haslinger V2 soaps with metal tins at €8.45, including free Prime shipping!

InShot_20211126_150554065.jpg

First time trying Haslinger, I have the tallow version of Schafmilch. It lathered easily and had amazing protection and glide. I have read that there are many that consider this a better version of MWF(a soap I use several times a month) and I may already lean that way after one shave mostly due to it being easier to lather but with the same quality post shave.

I will look out for the v2 version with a tin as I have it in an old RRP160 jar.

First time trying Haslinger, I have the tallow version of Schafmilch. It lathered easily and had amazing protection and glide. I have read that there are many that consider this a better version of MWF(a soap I use several times a month) and I may already lean that way after one shave mostly due to it being easier to lather but with the same quality post shave.

I will look out for the v2 version with a tin as I have it in an old RRP160 jar.
The Haslinger tins are made from the thinnest aluminum sheet metal you can imagine, I think soda cans might be using a heavier gauge material. If the tin doesn't arrive already dented from the store, it soon will be. The diameter is really small, too. It's better to get two Haslinger refill pucks and grate them together into your own larger container.

John, actually the current Haslinger soaps have been renamed V2 because this is their SECOND REFORMULATION to a tallow-free version. So, to put things in chronological order we have:

1. Tallow version
2. V1 (Fist tallow-free version)
3. V2 (Second and current tallow-free version).

I've been using Haslinger soaps for many, many years now and used all versions made. To me, the latest V2 is the finest of them all.

P.S. In addition to the flagship Schafmilch, another Haslinger soap that I really love is Honig (Honey). This one seems to fly under the radar here, but I assure you that it is terrific. :yesnod:
Honig is definitely one of the best. It was always one of my favorites when I was a dedicated Haslinger 3017 user. I went through many pucks.

The only reason I stopped, was availability and having to order 15-20 pucks to make it cost worthy.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a few pucks of the current versions.

I haven't used any since the Tallow.

Last edited:
Haslinger, a hard soap that did a reformulation the right way. By being about just as good if not better than it’s tallow iteration. Especially in comparison to another certain Germanic shaving soap or two.

(Sorry to necro this thread but I figured it might be better to ask here rather than start a new one.)

I've been using Schafmilch and am wondering if the other variants have a lighter post-shave feel? Looking at ringelblumen, sandelholz, Aloe Vera, and honig.

(Sorry to necro this thread but I figured it might be better to ask here rather than start a new one.)

I've been using Schafmilch and am wondering if the other variants have a lighter post-shave feel? Looking at ringelblumen, sandelholz, Aloe Vera, and honig.
Yes, they do. Schafmilch has lanolin, the others don't. The others rinse away more cleanly. That makes them better choices for hot weather. Though, with soaps containing lanolin, if you wipe your face down with a wash cloth post-shave, you can remove some of the lanolin remaining on the skin.

Yes, they do. Schafmilch has lanolin, the others don't. The others rinse away more cleanly. That makes them better choices for hot weather. Though, with soaps containing lanolin, if you wipe your face down with a wash cloth post-shave, you can remove some of the lanolin remaining on the skin.

Thanks. I like schafmilch but use a cream once every few days to get a lighter post-shave feel. We're about to hit the peak of our tropical summer in a week or so, and the lanolin is starting to feel heavy. It'll probably be unnoticeable when the rainy season comes in June.

Thanks. I like schafmilch but use a cream once every few days to get a lighter post-shave feel. We're about to hit the peak of our tropical summer in a week or so, and the lanolin is starting to feel heavy. It'll probably be unnoticeable when the rainy season comes in June.

Haslinger Coconut is a great warm weather option! Its got a mild scent and rinses clean.

Top Bottom