What's new

First time using a ‘Method’ edge.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have found that after a bit of VERY LIGHT PRESSURE stropping, the face of the balsa seems to form a polishing plane. I can then do short, AND VERY LIGHT, half strokes - meaning that I can go spine leading up and edge leading down - then same on the other side. Of course you will ruin your edge and the balsa if you let the edge dig into the wood. I'm not recommending that anyone do this, as you would be honing on the strop. But if you manage to pull it off, you get what McC calls "science fiction sharp". (I hope he does not yell at me!)

I encourage Method disciples to experiment, once they have spent some time in OMH (Orthodox Method Honing) and have an appreciation and understanding of the baseline dogma and what it can do. You can always return to the faith later, if you get disillusioned with your apostatic heresies.

I have found that after a bit of VERY LIGHT PRESSURE stropping, the face of the balsa seems to form a polishing plane. I can then do short, AND VERY LIGHT, half strokes - meaning that I can go spine leading up and edge leading down - then same on the other side. Of course you will ruin your edge and the balsa if you let the edge dig into the wood. I'm not recommending that anyone do this, as you would be honing on the strop. But if you manage to pull it off, you get what McC calls "science fiction sharp". (I hope he does not yell at me!)
There is a reason I post very little of my actual homing process. I am a rebel and do not follow others. The trout swimming up stream just to be "his own fish" LOL And I do not want to either offend or get yelled at, or start arguments haha

One of these days I'm going to invest the time and effort to get set up with The Method as I have read so many great reviews. I get great results with stones and film, but it sounds like I am missing something. The biggest obstacle is lack of free time, but I think I need to find the time and go for it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
One of these days I'm going to invest the time and effort to get set up with The Method as I have read so many great reviews. I get great results with stones and film, but it sounds like I am missing something. The biggest obstacle is lack of free time, but I think I need to find the time and go for it.
If your are taking your edges up to 1u film successfully, it is a relatively easy step to move onto diamond pasted balsa stropping.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Once you have the three balsa strops set up, it's easy sneezy. For any razor you own, there is a one time process. You touch up on your 1u film or 12k stone, then strop on the .5u balsa, then the .25u, then the .1u. One time. After that, you maintain the edge by stropping on only the .1u, after every shave, and you will forget what a dull razor feels like on your face. In fact you will forget what anything less than Manhattan Project super secret radioactive edges feel on your face. You will of course mostly be using just the .1u after that. Typically after about 30 uses you will have to apply more paste. Then after a couple of refreshes, you will lap the balsa again before refreshing again. I have never heard anyone say that they regret spending the time and effort and money to set up and use the balsa. It really is an extraordinary process with extraordinary results.

It’s definitely a look into the future, this edge should have taken me a lifetime to learn. A lifetime of living in a cave honing all day every day, studying stones and steels and crazy ideas. This is the edge I should’ve got the morning I died. My final and best edge I ever did. The result of a whole life spent sharpening.
Instead I got it in just over an hour (build time and honing) with a bit of wood, glue and paste and the expert guidance of the man.

I knew this would happen. After using the Method edged Friodur for a few shaves I now never want to shave with anything less.
Last week I took all of my 7 razors back to 4K them 8k films all set and ready for whatever finisher I’d decide on for each.
Today I brought them all up to 1u film (except the Friodur) then I honed 3 of them using the method.
These were a 5/8ths Bengall near wedge, a gold dollar 66 and a Thomas Turner 5/8ths.
I also honed my Elsine on Welsh slate after 1u film.
Doing the whole process again and again helped a lot and I could feel my muscle memory improving with each razor. Keeping the edge in perfect contact with the balsa using so little floating pressure takes some getting used to. I feel in my bones I’ve done good edges today so let’s see what the shave tests bring.

I used the Turner 5/8ths this morning what a brilliant shave. But I noticed it not cutting the hanging hair on the last half inch of the toe. As I said the shave was amazing but that little bit bothered me as I’d gone a long way to making this edge perfect and I use that last bit of the toe quite a lot during each shave. So I it seems I’ve not done so well at an earlier grit so I think I’ll maybe take this edge back to the beginning and work it up from there.

When I last took my razors back to coarse grits I was an absolute beginner honer.
My edges since have been fine but I always felt they could be better.
I recently started using the Method. The edges were light years away from what I’d gotten before.
But to use slash’s phrase ‘best results are the only results worth having’ I decided that I could only polish these turds so much.
I looked at my razors through a loupe and saw deep old honing scratches, some hit the bevel, most didnt, it was messy.
I could see why the razors could HHT in some areas but not others.
So I decided to take all 7 of my razors back to coarse films, remove the scratches, do a better job and take it up from there.
I remember honing all of these with two hands pushing it into the films with lots of pressure but I knew nothing better.
I’ve since learned that less pressure is what’s required especially towards the end of each grit so I bore this strongly in mind. Also I was to pay closer attention to the razors toe as this area was always weaker for me.
I did 1500 grit, 2k, 4 k, 8k, 12k films.
I thought this would be a quick and easy job but it took me all night doing 50-80 laps on each razor on each film. I nearly ran out of whisky.
But at the end of it I had all my razors shave sharp and ready for whatever finishes I wanted to out on them.
I put a new method edge on the Friodur, Thomas Turner, my Gold dollar A and my Bengall near wedge. Yesterday morning I tested the Friodur with its brand new from the bottom up edge and the next day my Gold Dollar A.
I was struck by the smoothness, gentleness and futuristic sharpness of both razors, especially the Friodur which was amazing.
These edges were both super sharp and gentle. It’s almost like magic isn’t it? So sharp so smooth so easy, how have I paid for this? have I unknowingly sold my soul?
I’ve just ordered a small coticule to try as I’ve never used one though I’m worried The Method edges may have spoilt me beyond all redemption, so I’ll keep my 3 non method razors for naturals. I’ll do one on a Welsh slate, another on a different Welsh slate and one on the coticule and see how I go.

Last edited:
I honed 2 of my 3 non method razors on the two pieces of Welsh slate I have. They’re both different with the larger stone supposedly the finest but I’ve had very good results from both.
3C793C23-62CC-465E-8EB7-69EB1698F695.jpeg

After about just 30 or so light laps the razors began to stick so I lightened up until they were pretty much just glued in place to the stones. I stropped them on linen and leather ready for the next couple of days. I’m looking forward to comparing these to my method edge, I just hope I won’t hate them now. My coticule should arrive in a week so looking forward to experimenting with that.

If you get your coticule Edge dialed in you may put your balsa in the rear view. I did and never looked back. A well done coticule edge is a thing of beauty.
I currently have a La Nouvelle that goes pretty good with oil. Would love to try a Les Latneuses for finishing. Are they worth a shot in your view?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ive been straight shaving daily for 2 and a bit years and had gotten respectable, I thought, at honing and maintaining my own edges.
I’d had a bit of experimentation with films, slate, shale and a Naniwa12k and was getting great results from all, with consistent improvements coming along nicely.
I’d heard of course of @Slash McCoys Method but I was happy learning to use what I had and I like things simple.
Then a few weeks ago on a whim I decided to order the stuff required and yesterday had a free afternoon way from the kids so I put it all together and built the three strops to the letter of the instructions given.

As I was doing the measuring, cutting, sanding, gluing, hoovering etc I must confess to being a little doubtful as to the need for all this hard work.
My shaves were already super comfortable and close every day, how much of a difference was all this going to make?
I Method honed my Gold Dollar A from a Naniwa edge and my Henckels Friodur from a film edge and it was the Friodur I used this morning.
During the balsa stropping it was quite challenging using the minuscule pressure advised by the Method but eventually both razors were done.
Today I lathered up with Taylor’s Jermyn st soap.
As soon as the edge touched the hair on my cheek I was instantly and genuinely shocked at its sharpness.
Unbelievable.
This was sorcery!
Light years from anything I’d ever used before.
I was almost terrified using it. I kept hearing the word ‘Wow!’ escaping from my lips throughout the shave. I’ve never felt anything like it. I had to really tone down my technique using a featherlight touch.
The razor pinged and cut everything with such gliding ease, and sounded completely different than before.
This is crazy sharp, sharper than I ever thought possible. After pass one I really considered just leaving it there until I relearned to shave with it but I did my usual 4 pass shave but being oh so careful every step of the way.
No cuts.
After a cold rinse I was very hesitant to use the alum as I felt sure it would sting to high heaven, but no. The alum block felt cool and easy with very little sting. I followed with a splash of Lucky Tiger and got a brilliant post shave. This will take some time to learn to use the correct amount of pressure needed as I’ve never shaved with anything like this.
This knowledge is not meant for man, this man @Slash McCoy has dipped his hand into the vaults of hell itself and brought forth this knowledge, this Method edge.
This is the enchanted edge that the demons of hell put on their swords, axes and instruments of torture, this is sharp enough to cut the eternal souls of men.
You could give me a million years on my own and I’d never be able to get an edge like this.
I’d just never have thought it possible. Thanks so much for this insight Slash.
If you’ve never tried it I’d highly recommend it to you it’s unbelievable and even if you find it’s too sharp for you, it’s amazing to see what’s possible. And with daily stropping it will stay the same every day.
Will I use it every day? I don’t know yet, it’s an amazing edge to use but it will take some getting used to. I find it hard to describe how next level the edge now is.
I have a question slash, if the devil himself held his pitchfork to your head and told you to make an edge like the Method using only stones could you do it?
If so how would you approach it?
If not, how close could you get?
When you see the light, it can be bright. I was lucky to run into @Slash McCoy posts when I began. To be honest, I grabbed onto it because it was inexpensive. I got the stuff and followed the instructions precisely and was producing good edges in a week and I kept at it and improved and improved some more and it just kept getting better. It is a remarkable system. I’ve since bought and used stones but film and balsa is simply easier and I get better and more consistent edges. I have around 30 razors now, all honed to .1u and never have to hone them. I don’t buy razors any longer and no longer hone. I never got into honing as a hobby and really don’t enjoy it but I do enjoy shaving with a Ridiculously sharp blade. Welcome to the Enlightenment freed from paleohoning.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ive been straight shaving daily for 2 and a bit years and had gotten respectable, I thought, at honing and maintaining my own edges.
I’d had a bit of experimentation with films, slate, shale and a Naniwa12k and was getting great results from all, with consistent improvements coming along nicely.
I’d heard of course of @Slash McCoys Method but I was happy learning to use what I had and I like things simple.
Then a few weeks ago on a whim I decided to order the stuff required and yesterday had a free afternoon way from the kids so I put it all together and built the three strops to the letter of the instructions given.

As I was doing the measuring, cutting, sanding, gluing, hoovering etc I must confess to being a little doubtful as to the need for all this hard work.
My shaves were already super comfortable and close every day, how much of a difference was all this going to make?
I Method honed my Gold Dollar A from a Naniwa edge and my Henckels Friodur from a film edge and it was the Friodur I used this morning.
During the balsa stropping it was quite challenging using the minuscule pressure advised by the Method but eventually both razors were done.
Today I lathered up with Taylor’s Jermyn st soap.
As soon as the edge touched the hair on my cheek I was instantly and genuinely shocked at its sharpness.
Unbelievable.
This was sorcery!
Light years from anything I’d ever used before.
I was almost terrified using it. I kept hearing the word ‘Wow!’ escaping from my lips throughout the shave. I’ve never felt anything like it. I had to really tone down my technique using a featherlight touch.
The razor pinged and cut everything with such gliding ease, and sounded completely different than before.
This is crazy sharp, sharper than I ever thought possible. After pass one I really considered just leaving it there until I relearned to shave with it but I did my usual 4 pass shave but being oh so careful every step of the way.
No cuts.
After a cold rinse I was very hesitant to use the alum as I felt sure it would sting to high heaven, but no. The alum block felt cool and easy with very little sting. I followed with a splash of Lucky Tiger and got a brilliant post shave. This will take some time to learn to use the correct amount of pressure needed as I’ve never shaved with anything like this.
This knowledge is not meant for man, this man @Slash McCoy has dipped his hand into the vaults of hell itself and brought forth this knowledge, this Method edge.
This is the enchanted edge that the demons of hell put on their swords, axes and instruments of torture, this is sharp enough to cut the eternal souls of men.
You could give me a million years on my own and I’d never be able to get an edge like this.
I’d just never have thought it possible. Thanks so much for this insight Slash.
If you’ve never tried it I’d highly recommend it to you it’s unbelievable and even if you find it’s too sharp for you, it’s amazing to see what’s possible. And with daily stropping it will stay the same every day.
Will I use it every day? I don’t know yet, it’s an amazing edge to use but it will take some getting used to. I find it hard to describe how next level the edge now is.
I have a question slash, if the devil himself held his pitchfork to your head and told you to make an edge like the Method using only stones could you do it?
If so how would you approach it?
If not, how close could you get?
When you see the light, it can be bright. I was lucky to run into @slashmccoy posts when I began. To be honest, I grabbed onto it because it was inexpensive. I got the stuff and followed the instructions precisely and was producing good edges in a week and I kept at it and improved and improved some more and it just kept getting better. It is a remarkable system. I’ve since bought and used stones but film and balsa is simply easier and I get better and more consistent edges. I have around 30 razors now, all honed to .1u and never have to hone them. I don’t buy razors any longer and no longer hone. I never got into honing as a hobby and really don’t enjoy it but I do enjoy shaving with a Ridiculously sharp blade. Welcome to the Enlightenment freed from paleohoning.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I currently have a La Nouvelle that goes pretty good with oil. Would love to try a Les Latneuses for finishing. Are they worth a shot in your view?
Yes definitely give one a try if you can. Ardennes has been pulling some great ones out of the ground lately so maybe they can help you to find one.

Top Bottom