What's new

First Time Trying Proraso Green soap

I'm somewhat puzzled as to how you have found Proraso green to be slicker than MWF 😲 😱 ... perhaps you've never truly managed to work da fat to its fullest potential. 🙄

The new reformulation 'Super Formula' is excellent, from my experience it takes a little more to get going but produces a very slick lather.

It's good, but is it as good as MWF? No, it's not, but few soaps are.

@Paul Bearer,

IME, Proraso's "tricolore" combo leaves much to be desired. I've had all 3 croaps and they are all pretty average at best - synthetic scent and sub-par performance. Yikes! 🤔

I'm curious how you found the scents synthetic since the Green is pretty much just menthol and eucalyptus and the red is one of the most realistic sandalwoods around, and white's white tea is pretty realistic as well. I guess it's just in the eye, err nose, of the beholder.

I'm curious how you found the scents synthetic since the Green is pretty much just menthol and eucalyptus and the red is one of the most realistic sandalwoods around, and white's white tea is pretty realistic as well. I guess it's just in the eye, err nose, of the beholder.
The sandalwood is totally synthetic but I concur with your assessment that it is a realistic and straightforward scent. Actually I compare all other sandalwood wood scents against this one and end up sometimes pretty disappointed with the supposedly real stuff. :confused1 Anyway where on earth could they source real sandalwood oil for such a budget product…

The sandalwood is totally synthetic but I concur with your assessment that it is a realistic and straightforward scent...Anyway where on earth could they source real sandalwood oil for such a budget product…
It's in the ingredient list, though it's probably a very small amount. It may not be the real Mysore Sandalwood, but from somewhere else.

INGREDIENTS:
Aqua (Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter, Lactic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Santalum album (Sandalwood) Oil, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Linalool, Coumarin.

The sandalwood is totally synthetic but I concur with your assessment that it is a realistic and straightforward scent. Actually I compare all other sandalwood wood scents against this one and end up sometimes pretty disappointed with the supposedly real stuff. :confused1 Anyway where on earth could they source real sandalwood oil for such a budget product…

You can get some pretty realistic fragrance oils. Also, many of the "sandalwood" soaps and creams out there are really more perfumes than realistic renditions, e.g. TOBS and GFT aren't very true to the wood itself, but are really good scents in their own right.

It's in the ingredient list, though it's probably a very small amount. It may not be the real Mysore Sandalwood, but from somewhere else.

INGREDIENTS:
Aqua (Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter, Lactic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Santalum album (Sandalwood) Oil, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Linalool, Coumarin.

Isn't there also more than one type of sandalwood with some being more expensive than others?

The new reformulation 'Super Formula' is excellent, from my experience it takes a little more to get going but produces a very slick lather.

It's good, but is it as good as MWF? No, it's not, but few soaps are.
I should say the 3 Proraso soaps (Green, Red and White) I used back in the day were not super formula, so that might be the reason for my lack of satisfaction with them. Then again, folks say super formula is the same as the old formula... it's six of one, half dozen of the other... YMMV.

@Paul Bearer , don't listen to @Multum in parvo !

You can use Proraso Red during summer alright! And the Green is perfectly fine for winter.

And you can alternate between the 2 during autumn and spring.

PS. Back to the original question, I didn't see Cella Extra Extra Bio mentioned above. I think you might like it.
Cella Extra Bio is one of my all time favorites. I could live with it and use nothing else. LOVE that stuff.

1623784988536.png

You can get some pretty realistic fragrance oils. Also, many of the "sandalwood" soaps and creams out there are really more perfumes than realistic renditions, e.g. TOBS and GFT aren't very true to the wood itself, but are really good scents in their own right.
TOBS is fougere to my nose... and I love it. My go-to "sandalwood" soap.

Paired with Zino, it's a killer combo... that is if you fancy that kind of scent profile.

1623785138118.png

In the UK, right now you can buy Cella Blue for £3, so half the price of Proraso. There is no contest, Cella Blue is an exceptional shaving soap.

I'm in Brazil, so I get the creams from Gifts and Care (Spain).

Their regular prices are: Cella - Eur 7.40 x Proraso - Eur 4.92, both for 150 ml.

In spite of a mathematical difference of 50%, I'd say (or I think) prices are comparable.

To me the whole thing boils down to: I would be very happy to have BOTH creams in my rotation - and I won't have more than 5, maybe 6 soaps in rotation. I liked both scents and the scents are different enough to justify it.

Cella may have the edge in slickness and may be more efficient on a product per shave basis. Just my initial impression, because Cella Bio irritated my face (which is not common, from what I read) and I ended up giving it to a friend.

TOBS is fougere to my nose... and I love it. My go-to "sandalwood" soap.

Paired with Zino, it's a killer combo... that is if you fancy that kind of scent profile.

View attachment 1282195
I love that scent profile, but TOBS sandalwood doesn't love me back. It's one of only two soaps I tend to have a reaction to, the other being RR's P.160 version. Fortunately, I found that as long as I do a bowl lather I can usually avoid the reaction from TOBS, but not the P.160.

I love that scent profile, but TOBS sandalwood doesn't love me back. It's one of only two soaps I tend to have a reaction to, the other being RR's P.160 version. Fortunately, I found that as long as I do a bowl lather I can usually avoid the reaction from TOBS, but not the P.160.
Goes on to prove the age old adage - YMMV. What works for one, may not work for another.

Sorry to hear though, as it's such a terrific scent. That said, have you tried the cream? The scent is identical. Perhaps you won't experience the same reaction with the cream...

Goes on to prove the age old adage - YMMV. What works for one, may not work for another.

Sorry to hear though, as it's such a terrific scent. That said, have you tried the cream? The scent is identical. Perhaps you won't experience the same reaction with the cream...

No, I haven't pulled the trigger on the cream but I might someday soon...thanks for enabling my SAD. 😜 🤣

The prorasos always give me a synthetic feel. No big fan of the old soap ones definitely not from the old preshave. Though these were more or less my start in the no canned goo better soap and shave wo
I do like the se wood and spice. And I use the balms upon empty.

cella and vitos were more or less my follow ups and yes nice soaps.

then I got my hands on razorock Santa Maria & Dead Sea. My taste evolved. And I discovered stirling which makes my menthol head happy…

Somewhere I picked up arko which still surprises me for its uh scent profile and more for the performance for that money. Should be on your try list.

If you like fresh tobs peppermint is cool without the menthol

bottom line there are many great affordable soaps out there have some

Top Bottom