What's new

First Time Shaver Recommendations

Hi everyone! I'm new to the world of straight razors and shavettes though I love the way my face feels after a trip to the barber. I'm on a pretty tight budget and saw this Black Widow Shavette on Amazon. I also looked at the Parker SRX but don't like the look as much and the recent reviews weren't great.

Any advice on the Black Widow? I couldn't find much info about it.

Never heard of the Black Widow, honestly. But the old adage goes... you get what you pay for.

I'd save up for the Dovo or better yet, the Feather Artist Club.

I'd prefer to not have to save up, I need to buy new cartridges anyway and just wanted to bite the bullet on anything. I don't want to drop a bunch only to find out I hate doing it myself.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi everyone! I'm new to the world of straight razors and shavettes though I love the way my face feels after a trip to the barber. I'm on a pretty tight budget and saw this Black Widow Shavette on Amazon. I also looked at the Parker SRX but don't like the look as much and the recent reviews weren't great.

Any advice on the Black Widow? I couldn't find much info about it.
I’ve been shaving with straight razors for two years and have a Parker SR1 and find it to be an excellent shavett. I was afraid the SRX would be too heavy and unbalanced. I also have a Focus Al which was quite expensive for a shavette and while the Focus has an excellent blade loading system, I prefer the Parker.

I have several shavettes. Very cheap ones (2,50€) push-in type and up to cheap one (29€). They differ by look and craftmanship. But there is no correlation in pirce and how they shave. Only one I did not like is Strong Leopard type shavette.
OP -s Black Widow looks like generic push-in generic shavette I bought for 2.50 € from Ali. Maybe more prettier.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you want to go really cheap, like under $5, you want a swingback type half-DE shavette such as the one rbscebu mentioned. They go for around $3 from Chinese resellers on fleabay. Get a pack of Feather DE blades and you are set.

In this price tier, avoid the push/pull type shavettes. In the higher price ranges they can be perfectly okay. The super cheapies are a real crap shoot.

No reason to wait until you can afford a "good" shavette. Get a cheap swingback and there is a 90% or better chance it will shave just fine. THEN save your money for a nicer one if you like. Or jump into straight razors.

It is very important with a shavette to keep your shave angle as low as possible, use very light pressure, shave WTG only for the first dozen shaves or so, and stretch the skin tightly while shaving. The shavette is a harsh teacher. You can get an excellent shave, or the worst shave of your life. Cut and irritation free, or a mass of slices, nicks, and weepers. Proceed carefully.

Top Bottom