What's new

First Time Shave with an OC

I've been shaving with a DE for about 7 years now. I started with a Merkur 33c, went to a Weber, now to a Timeless SS .95. I since added a Karve using plate F, a Rockwell 6S using plate 6, and a Gamechanger .84p. I liked the Gamechanger just fine but it took a little effort to get my expected daily BBS. That's when I began considering the OC plate after reading all the reviews and suggestions on B&B.

I knew everyone said it was a little more efficient than the .84p but still smooth. So with apprehension, I had my first shave with any OC. First pass is WTG and XTG using A new GSB and M&M Naid soap. Felt nice and smooth, but I could feel those 12 teeth slightly so I wasn't sure what I was going to get. 2nd pass is ATG. This is usually my workhorse pass where most of the work is removed. 2nd pass felt nice and smooth and I began to gain a little more confidence in the OC. Third pass, wait did I already do the third pass? There wasn't nearly the touchup normally required after two passes. This is where I could feel the benefit of the OC. I finished the 3rd pass and had plenty of soap left for a 4th pass, but didn't need it at all. BBS with no irritation, passed the cotton ball test. Really pleasantly surprised. Now I wish I had the OC for my Timeless but that will have to wait.

I currently have the scalloped plate for the Timeless .95. Do any of you feel the OC is a significant change from the Scalloped?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I've been shaving with a DE for about 7 years now. I started with a Merkur 33c, went to a Weber, now to a Timeless SS .95. I since added a Karve using plate F, a Rockwell 6S using plate 6, and a Gamechanger .84p. I liked the Gamechanger just fine but it took a little effort to get my expected daily BBS. That's when I began considering the OC plate after reading all the reviews and suggestions on B&B.

I knew everyone said it was a little more efficient than the .84p but still smooth. So with apprehension, I had my first shave with any OC. First pass is WTG and XTG using A new GSB and M&M Naid soap. Felt nice and smooth, but I could feel those 12 teeth slightly so I wasn't sure what I was going to get. 2nd pass is ATG. This is usually my workhorse pass where most of the work is removed. 2nd pass felt nice and smooth and I began to gain a little more confidence in the OC. Third pass, wait did I already do the third pass? There wasn't nearly the touchup normally required after two passes. This is where I could feel the benefit of the OC. I finished the 3rd pass and had plenty of soap left for a 4th pass, but didn't need it at all. BBS with no irritation, passed the cotton ball test. Really pleasantly surprised. Now I wish I had the OC for my Timeless but that will have to wait.

I currently have the scalloped plate for the Timeless .95. Do any of you feel the OC is a significant change from the Scalloped?
Interesting.

As someone who has both the Timeless .95 in scalloped, and the GC .84 in SB, I would very much like it if you could answer this question:

Neither of my razors above quite get me to BBS. 80%-90% of my face is BBS, but the remainder is DFS after 3 passes. I don't want to do more than 3 passes.

Do you find the GC .84 OC can get you to BBS, where the SB couldn't quite do it?

Interesting.

As someone who has both the Timeless .95 in scalloped, and the GC .84 in SB, I would very much like it if you could answer this question:

Neither of my razors above quite get me to BBS. 80%-90% of my face is BBS, but the remainder is DFS after 3 passes. I don't want to do more than 3 passes.

Do you find the GC .84 OC can get you to BBS, where the SB couldn't quite do it?
Thats a tough one to answer since there are so many variables especially each one's beard. I shoot for a BBS daily but sometimes pay the price for the quest. I can always get a BBS with the Timeless usually in 3 passes but sometimes it takes 4. Like everyone, I have a couple of trouble spots that require extra care and effort if I am to achieve a BBS. However, I did Manage to smoothly shave those areas this morning with the .84 OC only needing touch up in the 3rd pass. It was only my first shave with this plate so I'll know more as I use this razor for the week. The other weird thing for me is that a couple of years ago, I had a major powerlifting accident getting ready for nationals. I had a total shoulder rebuild so in the process learned to shave with both hands. I found I can deal with a couple of my trouble spots a little easier left handed. Also, on my neck, I have a couple of areas where the whiskers grow so parallel to the skin that it seems nearly impossible to get BBS without irritation. It feels smooth then it seems like the whiskers magically reappear.

All that said, it was easier to get to BBS with the OC over the SB. I really would like to see if it would do the same with the Timeless and still be as smooth as the Timeless .95 Scalloped. 10 hours after shaving today, my wife just mentioned how smooth my shave feels today - good test.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thats a tough one to answer since there are so many variables especially each one's beard. I shoot for a BBS daily but sometimes pay the price for the quest. I can always get a BBS with the Timeless usually in 3 passes but sometimes it takes 4. Like everyone, I have a couple of trouble spots that require extra care and effort if I am to achieve a BBS. However, I did Manage to smoothly shave those areas this morning with the .84 OC only needing touch up in the 3rd pass. It was only my first shave with this plate so I'll know more as I use this razor for the week. The other weird thing for me is that a couple of years ago, I had a major powerlifting accident getting ready for nationals. I had a total shoulder rebuild so in the process learned to shave with both hands. I found I can deal with a couple of my trouble spots a little easier left handed. Also, on my neck, I have a couple of areas where the whiskers grow so parallel to the skin that it seems nearly impossible to get BBS without irritation. It feels smooth then it seems like the whiskers magically reappear.

All that said, it was easier to get to BBS with the OC over the SB. I really would like to see if it would do the same with the Timeless and still be as smooth as the Timeless .95 Scalloped. 10 hours after shaving today, my wife just mentioned how smooth my shave feels today - good test.
Many thanks for the detailed response. I will have to add the JAWS to my wishlist!

And, I will have to revisit the timeless.

Top Bottom